Author Topic: Moscrip  (Read 7351 times)

Offline Smudger24

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moscrip
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 July 17 03:49 BST (UK) »
Alison Currie Moscrip married Benjamin Joseph Smith on 19th April 1888.  The marriage certificate shows Alison's birth place as Greenlaw, Berwick and age of 21, father William Moscrip (hotel keeper) and mother Margaret Neil.

Benjamin's birth place shows as 'Premuda, Austria'.  I cannot find this town/area and welcome suggestions as to location.  Age 33, father Gargonea Smith (mariner), and mother Marguerita Smith.

Alison and Benjamin lived in Boundary Street, Spring Hill, Brisbane.

Alison moved to Canada, without Benjamin (unsure timing and circumstances).  Will ask Aunt if she has more details.

Attached pictures of Benjamin Smith and Alison (Canadian passport in name of Allison)

Offline LHR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 07:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Smudger24.
Have a look at my posting-  from LHR on Page 1, regarding John Henry Niel Moscrip, particularly  the section "Also pleased to get any information on Alison Currie Moscrip b.11 Sept 1866 at Greenlaw, Berwickshire, Scotland. She married in Queensland, Australia (1888) to Benjamin Joseph Smith but we have no further details concerning them."

My notes say the Marriage certificate is a Queensland ( Australia) marriage NO. 1888/12283.
Marriage Queensland, 19 April 1888 : Registration number B012283 ( This would suggest a marriage in Brisbane).

Immigration:  Arrived Brisbane via "Dacca" on 26 July 1887. From Berwickshire Scotland

1887: "Your sister Alice has arrived and is anxious to hear from you." ( I seem not to have the newspaper reference for this message, but will be able to locate it and get back to you.)

Alison may have been called  Agnes (on census records) or Annie.
I formed the conclusion they lived at Carcour in Central Western NSW, and there were 4 (maybe more) children.
.  William B Smith, b 1890, Son of Benjamin & Annie M Smith at Rodd Street, Carcoar, NSW. Enlisted WW1 at Cootamundra, NSW, Australia, Service No 6819( WW1file B2455, Smith WB)
.  Walter G Smith b.1896,
.  Edward S Smith B 1900, and J
.  John L. Smith b. 1902.

Your information is new to us, so I will mull over it,  do some more searching and get back to you.
LHR ( 25 July 2017)

Offline LHR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 14:24 BST (UK) »
Recently available info allows me to rule out the Benjamin Joseph Smith family living at Carcour ( Not ours).

The Telegraph (Brisbane, Qld) Thu 28 July 1887 Page 1: JOHN MOSCRIP, your Sister Alice has arrived and anxious to hear from you. Address, Alice Moscrip, G.P.O., Brisbane.
John Moscrip posted many advertisements looking for their brother Robert, who also came to Australia. We think Robert returned home to Longformacus in Scotland.

I am keen to see  the details page of Alison's passport to Canada, and the source for Boundary Street, Spring Hill address.

Thanks LHR