Author Topic: Death at sea  (Read 6144 times)

Offline craigs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death at sea
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 March 09 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Glad that I could help. I also received your private message, and will answer that. I do envy you going to Beaulieu in May - I have to wait until October, when I wil be down that way.

Craig

Offline Antiochian

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 April 12 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Craigs,

I saw your post. I think the Persia is worthy of more internet expsoure. I am thinking of creating a blogspot on the wreck. A list of the survivors/ victims  would be a great place to start.

My previous efforts have been around the sinking of the Principessa Mafalda

Christopher Ecclestone
Email address removed , please use the Personal Message(PM) system for email addresses and private information(such as people who may be still alive)
New members must post 2/3 times before they can use the system

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline susan j

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 April 12 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi!
I totally agree with you....it gets overshadowed by the Titanic. Be glad to hear from you.
My grandparents died on the Persia and my great-aunt's husband susrvived.

Susan
Brown Burns and Brush Dundee; Thomson and Brown Perth; Burnett Fraser Sim and Burns Aberdeenshire; Stewart and Haggart Perth and Dundee; Barclay perthshire; Brown and Proctor, Mass. USA; Robertson Selkirk, Jedburgh; Scott Selkirk and Roxburghshire; Gill India/Australia/England

Offline craigs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I echo you both - Hello again, Susan! The Persia is an overlooked wreck, one of many out there that have interesting stories. I think that shipwrecks are more than just about the loss of a ship. It is the stories of the people on these ships that are special - what it was that brought them to that place at that time.

Good luck with your blog. I think it is an excellent idea. I wrote an article on the Persia for an American magazine a few years back, and afterwards a passenger list I provided appeared in all sorts of places on the web. There does seem to be an interest.

best wishes
Craig

Offline Alan Wren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan
Am researching sinking of SS Persia, have started writing and plan to publish (already have initial positive response from a publisher). The story is scattered around many sources but never published in print, but I think the people who lived and died on the Persia need their stories told, so am seeking relations / descendants to find out about them. There are long lists of names but each one was an individual so I want anything I produce to bde a memorial to every one of them. Hope to hear from you. I have a blog that has recently started at
https://sspersia1915.wordpress.com/

Offline susan j

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,
I have tried to get in touch with you via your email on your website but it doesn't seem to be working. Have you been in touch with Craig Stringer? He knows a lot about the event. having researched it. I know what I have read in the newspapers of the time. I can tell you a bit about my grandparents (Tom and Cecilia Burns), who lost their lives in the tragedy and also about my great-aunt's husband Alexander Clark, who survived. I was in touch with a woman once who lost relatives too. Perhaps I can dig out her email for you too.
If I can't get to you through your site I will send you a personal message through this one.
Susan
Brown Burns and Brush Dundee; Thomson and Brown Perth; Burnett Fraser Sim and Burns Aberdeenshire; Stewart and Haggart Perth and Dundee; Barclay perthshire; Brown and Proctor, Mass. USA; Robertson Selkirk, Jedburgh; Scott Selkirk and Roxburghshire; Gill India/Australia/England

Offline Alan Wren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan
I have modified email address on my novice Blog 'About' page -it is now cut and paste. For some reason Wordpress had added 'https://' at the start of my email address which would never work! I am told that using square brackets reduces spam so will give it a try! I hope you can try it again and really look forward to hearing from you.
Best Wishes
Alan

Offline craigs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 February 16 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Good luck with your project and book. The Persia is a fascinating wreck, and her passengers and crew make for interesting research. It is high time that the full story of this ship was shared with a wider audience.

Best wishes
Craig

Offline Andrew453

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 May 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,
I have tried to get in touch with you via your email on your website but it doesn't seem to be working. Have you been in touch with Craig Stringer? He knows a lot about the event. having researched it. I know what I have read in the newspapers of the time. I can tell you a bit about my grandparents (Tom and Cecilia Burns), who lost their lives in the tragedy and also about my great-aunt's husband Alexander Clark, who survived. I was in touch with a woman once who lost relatives too. Perhaps I can dig out her email for you too.
If I can't get to you through your site I will send you a personal message through this one.
Susan
Hello Susan
Researchers in Dundee are working on a Roll of Honour for Dundonians lost at sea during the First World War and are very interested in the remarkable story of your grandparents Thomas and Cecilia Burns lost with the SS Persia. We have put together some information from the usual sources, but there are gaps that we hope you will be able to help us with. Could you send me a PM so we can get in touch.
Best wishes, Andrew