Author Topic: Amos CHOWN  (Read 5172 times)

Offline kprobes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Amos CHOWN
« on: Saturday 07 March 09 19:02 GMT (UK) »
 I Am looking for any information on a Amos Chown born 1859, Sydenham, Oxford.   Wife died in childbirth in 1891.  children were fostered out.   Amos does not appear on the 1901 census, can't find his whereabouts or his death.
williams from Llanbadarn Fawr, ABERYSTWYTH
Harris from Horspath, Oxford
Jacksons from oxford
probets from thame
chowns from sydenham, bucks

Offline markpotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Amos CHOWN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 11 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Amos Chown of Sydenham was my great-grandfather, his daughter Cicely/Cicelia was my grandmother.

She and her brother were orphaned young. He, being the boy, was given a good education and became very successful (the actor Michael York is his grandson); she was put into service eventually becoming John Masefield's housekeeper.

Offline susanmitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 12:46 BST (UK) »
I am researching my late father's (Victor Chown) ancestors.  I need to know I'm on the right track before I proceed too far and hope you can help.  His father was Harry Chown (b 1871) who was the illegitimate son of Mary Chown (he was brought up by his grandparents Richard and Frances (Fanny) Chown and appears in the 1871 census at 3 months old.  Also on the census is Amos (senior) his uncle).  Much later, Mary married Arthur Hatton and I've been told that it was Mary and Arthur who took in Amos (junior) when he was orphaned (not sure where Cicely ended up).  Amos became a Lab Assistant in the pathology department of the Radcliffe Hospital and assisted in the post-mortem of both Harry and his 1yr old daughter Betty (they died within 4 days of each other).   If I'm on the right track and the Amos Chown (junior) is one and the same then I wonder if you have any family information that has been passed down which might shed light on a missing 20 or so years in Harry's life.  We have him as a valet to a family in his younger years but he disappears until 1919 when he's registered as a Butler at Oriel College Oxford.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 14:51 BST (UK) »
Just to avoid confusion, there are 2 Amos Chowns born Sydenham.

1). Baptised, 10 July 1859, to Richard & Frances(Fanny) CHOWN.  This one married Sarah Rymill.
2). Baptised,  25 Sep 1859, to Elias & Jane CHOWN.

Both these families are living next door to each other in the 1861 census.

More than likely, Richard(c1821) & Elias(c1828) Chown are cousins.

Steve. :)

Taken from OxFHS - Sydenham Transcripts.
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 14:52 BST (UK) »
Ooops, Double posted. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline susanmitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 18:12 BST (UK) »
The Amos Chown I'm referring to is the one who married Sarah Anne Rymills.  It is his son, (Amos) who, I'm told, was taken in (after being orphaned) by my paternal great-grandmother Mary Chown - hence my plea to anyone connected to this part of the Chown family for information about the lost 20 or so years of Harry's history.

Offline markpotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 June 15 09:59 BST (UK) »
Bucksboy - I can't track the Sydenham Transcripts you mention. Do you have addresses for the Chowns in Sydenham?