Author Topic: Canonbie - Graham/Tidman/Beattie/Borthwick  (Read 29150 times)

Offline robertd19m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Canonbie - Graham/Tidman/Beattie/Borthwick
« on: Saturday 07 March 09 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for any information on my wife’s family who came originated from Gilnokie Tower Cottage, Canonbie. My wife’s Great Grandfather was a James Graham (DOB Abt 1831). He died on 27 Jun. 1887. His spouse was Mary McIntosh (DOB Abt 1842). She died Abt 1883. Both died at Canonbie but on a recent visit to the cemetery I could not locate their gravestone (or any other members of the family). There are many many stones - does anyone have the memorial records?
Also in this cemetery could be her Great Great Grandparents who were Alexander Graham (died 5 Sep 1883) and his wife Agnes nee Tidman, She died on 28 May 1877. Any info on the Tidmans (Tidemans) would be helpful. I think Robet was the father who married Elizabeth Beattie but I am not sure. I also believe Alexander Grahams parents were James who married Isabella Borthwick at Westerkirk in 1792. If anyone has any further information on this family it would be great to hear from you.
Cheers
Robertd

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Canonbie - Graham/Tidman/Beattie/Borthwick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 March 09 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robertd
James Graham died at Bentpath, Westerkirk on 8th May 1855 aged 84.  I can see that there will be a Death Cerificate for him.  This should give his parents names.

I cannot see an appropriate memorial at Canonbie for a Tidman or a relevant Graham.

You mention an Elizabeth Beattie who married a Robert.  It is not clear who the Robert was (a Graham?) and how he fitted into the the others you mention.

Regards
Reiver

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 March 09 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robertd

These MIs from Canonbie might be the ones you're looking for, though i don't know if they're accurate:

In memory of Alexander GRAHAM who died at Rowanburn 5th September 1873 aged 63 years. Also Agnes TIDMAN his spouse who died 28th May 1877 aged 67 years. William son of Alexander GRAHAM who died at Newtown 16th Janry 1844 aged 17 months. Also Mary his daughter who died at Rowanburn 2nd Febry 1862 aged 21 years. Also Jane his daughter who died 25th Janry 1863 aged 16 years. Also Alexander GRAHAM their son who died at Rowanburn 4th Janry 1907 aged 70 years. Also Janet Irving wife of the said Alexander GRAHAM who died at Rowanburn 22nd Dec 1912 aged 76 years. Also Alexander their son who died at Rowanburn 21st Decr 1941 aged 74 years.

In memory of Mary McINTOSH wife of James GRAHAM who died at Gilnockie Cottage 18th Feby 1883 aged 38 years. Also Helen their daughter who died 6th Novr 1879 aged 3 months. Also the above James GRAHAM who died there 27th June 1887 aged 56 years. Also Margaret their daughter who died at Hollows 27th February 1896 aged 27 years.

hope this helps
Bridget

Offline robertd19m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 March 09 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Reiver

Thanks for taking the time to look at the MI's for Canonbie. This has been very helpful and indeed I visited the SRO today and found out a few more details.
Apologies - the Robert I referred to was Robert Tidman who I think is the father of Agnes Tidman (wife of Alexander Graham). He married Elizabeth Beattie but I know very little of the Tidmans.

Thanks again for your help.

RobertD

Offline robertd19m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 March 09 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Bridget

Thanks for taking the time to look up the MI's. This is exactly what we are looking for. I visited the graveyard last week but gave up when I saw all the stones (and the weather was not too good). Does the book give any clues where the stones are located? If so we will call in again next time we are down that way.

Thanks once again for your help.

Robetd

Offline margaret55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 March 09 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert Alexander Graham & Agnes Tidman were my ggg grandparents.I have 12 children for them they had  a daughter Joan who married David murray i  come down that line.
You are right about Agnes parents i got her death certificate of s/people.I dont know anymore about the Tidmans either.
margaret55

Offline robertd19m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Canonbie - Graham/Tidman/Beattie/Borthwick
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 March 09 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Margaret55

Thanks for replying and for confirming Agnes Tidman's parents are Robert & Elizabeth Beattie. I also have her parents as Robert Beatty and Mary Johnston - do you agree?

Yes the Grahams certainly were a large family of 12! My wife descends from your GGGMothers older brother James. He was born about 1831 and died at Gilnockie Cottage, Canonbie on 27 Jun. 1877. I have Joan with a DOB of Abt 1832. Most of the Graham research that we have was carried out by my wifes cousin a few years ago. When time permits I try to add any missing links I can find. I do have a bit more detail on the Grahams but perhaps you already have carried out this research?

Cheers

RobertD

Offline margaret55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 March 09 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert  Agnes parents on death certificate were Robert Tidman & Elizabeth Beattie i have not found any other info that says her mother could have been called Mary Johnstone i found her birth certificate but it only named her father.
I was  not really looking for her family i am doing my Laidlaw family Joan Graham & David Murray had a daughter Mary Jane who married  a Peter Laidlaw.I have done a lot of research on the Grahams.I was only going to do my Laidlaws but when i got to the Grahams i found too much info to leave them out.If you want any more info on them i can tell you what i have. margaret55

Wul

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robertd
James Graham died at Bentpath, Westerkirk on 8th May 1855 aged 84.  I can see that there will be a Death Cerificate for him.  This should give his parents names.

I cannot see an appropriate memorial at Canonbie for a Tidman or a relevant Graham.

You mention an Elizabeth Beattie who married a Robert.  It is not clear who the Robert was (a Graham?) and how he fitted into the the others you mention.

Regards
Reiver

My 4xgreat grandfather Archibald Graham is buried in Westerkirk cemetary as is his wife and several of his children, his parents and grandparents are from Canonbie, back to 1684.