Author Topic: Canonbie - Graham/Tidman/Beattie/Borthwick  (Read 29107 times)

Wul

Re: Canonbie - Graham/Tidman/Beattie/Borthwick
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 March 09 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi RobertD

I was at Canonbie today and have just completed the web page for it.

http://www.wulgraham.co.uk/canonbie.html

Was also at Kirkandrews-upon-Esk

http://www.wulgraham.co.uk/kirkandrews.html

Regards,

Wul

Offline SandyD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Can you dig it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 August 09 20:20 BST (UK) »
So happy!!  ;D to find your post about .. James Graham 1855 ...children...Isabel (DOB Abt 1799), John (Abt 1800) William (Abt 1805) and Agnes (Abt 1808). Said Alexander was about 1810. James Graham's spouse was Isabella Borthwick. James Grahams father was William Graham who was married to Agnes Byers. James Graham was born in the Parish of Tundergarth at somewhere called Lambmill.

This William (abt. 1805) is my GGG-grandfather, GGGG-James (Isabella), GGGGG-William who was married to Agnes Byers.

Graham relatives to this line in Ontario, have been working on the geneology from this end -- lots of info.  There was (and is) an active dig at William's (GGG) son 'George Graham's' home in Claremont, Ontario  -- this is a huge family -- some relative have just met recently at the dig.

Any photos or images or documents that you can provide re:  James, Isabella Borthwick, William, Agnes Byers would be greatly appreciated.
Graham:  Westerkirk, Hutton & Corrie, Canonbie
(5th GGGGG)William Graham & Agnes Byers
(4th GGGG)James Graham & Isabella Borthwick
(3rd GGG)William Graham & Hannah Bell
(GG)Margaret Hogan, 1860 Mhow, India, Hoggan -- County Down, Ireland

Offline SandyD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Can you dig it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 04:48 BST (UK) »
margaret55,

link=topic=366465.msg2434573#msg2434573 date=1237154260]
...Robert Alexander Graham & Agnes Tidman were my ggg grandparents.I have 12 children for them they had  a daughter Joan who married David murray i  come down that line.
You are right about Agnes parents i got her death certificate of s/people.

I believe we are related...William Graham who married Agnes Byers is my GGGGGGrandfather,one of his sons, James (1771) is my GGGGGrandfather.

Birth Records:  John (1765), Katherine (1769), James (1771), Helen (1771) (twins), George (1775 Knockmains), Sarah (1777). all born in Torthorwald except George (George married Margaret Rieve).

James married Isobel Borthwick, who had my GGGGrandfather William (1803).
Here are the children:
     John        christened 26 Apr 1794   
     William     christened 1 Sep 1795
     Isbel        christened 11 Jun 1797
     William      christened 16 May 1802
     William      christened 12 Aug 1804
     Agnes       christened 1 Feb 1807
     Alexander  christened 4 May 1809

Would love to share info with you and Robert (his post is also related).

;D :D

Offline margaret55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy
I am willing to share any information i have although i dont have much on all of   Alexander and Agnes children.I am doing my Laidlaw ancestors and Joan was my gg grandmother.I just branched off from the Laidlaws and added the Grahams  to my tree.
Do you come directly down the Graham line.
If there is anything else you want to know i will help if i can.
margaret.

Offline SandyD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Can you dig it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 September 09 01:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, I am a direct Graham descendant:

William Graham & Agnes Byers
     James Graham & Isobel Borthwick
           William Graham & Hannah Bell
                George Graham & Cinderella Avery
                     John Calvin Graham (1 of 16) & Margaret Hogan
                             Joseph Warren Graham & Myrtle Houston
                         Dorothy Carolyn Graham & Ralph Dubblestein
                              and me Sandra & my brother Dean

Offline margaret55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 September 09 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy
I think you and Robert could be more related to each other than i am with either of you.
Joan Graham daughter of Alexander Graham and Agnes Tidman  married David Murray she had a daughter Margaret Graham  born 1841-1907 before she met David they had Alexander 1862-1862 Mary Jane 1863-1915  Agnes 1865 Isabella 1868 John 1869-1902 Alexander 1869-1940 Isabella married James Rose McKenzie born about 1867  they had a daughter Joan Graham McKenzie 1904-1906
Mary Jane Murray married Peter Laidlaw 1857-1936 they had 6 kids their daughter Elizabeth 1895-1919  married Alexander Little 1895-1964 i descend down that line.
margaret.

Offline rlg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 21:47 BST (UK) »
I have 2 questions about the Canonbie MIs posted by robbiesmum/Bridget on 09Mar2009 and would welcome a response by ANYONE about them.

First, are Canonbie MIs available anywhere?  I have the pre-1855 version, but would like the post 1855 entries which would then include the two which were posted.

Second, I am a direct decendent of William Graham + Agnes Byers, then James Graham + Isabella Borthwick and then William Graham (1804) + Hannah Bell who came to Canada.  My cousin Sandy D sent me the two MIs from this site.  I am trying to follow through all the Graham descendents. 

The Alexander Graham in the first MI is definitely the 1804 William's younger brother and everything on it is fine with me.  I'm just not sure the the MI for James Graham is Alexander Graham and Agnes Tidman's son and am looking for some confirmation.

The problem arises with the census entries in 1841/1851/1861 versus 1871/1881.  The James with Alexander and Agnes in Rowanburn in 1841/1851/1861 is born in ESKDALEMUIR and is a coal miner.  I have confirmed this birth from PRs.  The Alexander with Mary McIntosh in 1871/1881 is born in CANONBIE and is a gamekeeper at Gilnockie.  The MI matches the 1871/1881 entries perfectly.

I'm just not sure that 1841/1851/1861 match 1871/1881 and the MI for James.  If the MIs are on opposite sides of the same stone or adjacent stones, they are undeniably related individuals.  If they are in different parts of the cemetery, there may be no connection at all.  Does anyone know?

To the good, I can find Mary's parents John and Margaret McIntosh.  I also think that the Mary Graham in 1871 was really the Margaret/Maggie Graham in 1881.  There is no birth record of a Mary, only Margaret.  If so, the first four children Margaret, Agnes Alexander and John would fit the traditional Scottish naming pattern if the grandparents really are Alexander and Agnes Graham and John and Margaret McIntosh.

Answers anyone?

RLG

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 21:59 BST (UK) »
The post 1855 Canonbie MIs are not published but I've transcribed quite a few of them  on my website at:
http://longtown19.website.orange.co.uk/
(Follow the link to gravestone inscriptions, there are some post 1855 ones for Canonbie, Gretna, Half Morton and Tower of Sark)

The inscriptions were mostly made from photos so are not always accurate, so you should try to check the dates from the burial registers where possible.

Howard has photographed most but not all of the Canonbie gravestones:
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Letsbikeit
As he photographed them in approximate order, when you find one you are looking for you can see which stones are next to it.

cheers
Bridget

Offline margaret55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 13:29 BST (UK) »

I have both death certificates for Alexander Graham & Agnes Tidnmam i got from scotlandspeople  and both have James Graham son present when they died.
I also have the 1841 book  for Canonbie and James is on the census.
Alexander Graham is my ggg grandfather.
margaret55