Author Topic: Canonbie - Graham/Tidman/Beattie/Borthwick  (Read 29152 times)

Offline rlg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canonbie - Graham/Tidman/Beattie/Borthwick
« Reply #36 on: Friday 22 October 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
To wulgraham

Thank you for the parental info

Actually, my Grahams do have some Langholm connections.  John Graham 1799, the oldest son of James Graham 1771 and Isabella Borthwick 1767 who survived, was baptized in Langholm.  I had always assumed that was because Isabella B was born in  Langholm (parents Alexander B and Isobel Paisley).  I guesstimated that  James' father William Graham was born around 1740 because his mother Agnes Byers was born (in Westerkirk) in 1742.  John is a prominent name in every generation of my Grahams beginning with James and Isabella's children, but I can't pin down the source of it. 

The other 7 children (4 survived) were all baptized in Westerkirk.

Do you by any chance have the Langholm MIs?

rlg

Offline margaret55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 23 October 10 12:49 BST (UK) »
sorry about getting Joan Grahams date of birth wrong dont even remember where i got that from.Here is somthing that is going to throw you all i decided to go on s/people to look for her birth but its not there so i looked for her death certificate and found it according to it Alexander Graham is her father but her mother is Georgina Graham and her maiden is also Graham and i know it is the right Joan because her son inlaw James McKenzie was with her when she died.The age fits the year she died fits (1920) and the husband named is David Murray.So unless Alexander was married before Agnes Tidman.I will now look and see if i can find Joans marriage to see who it say is her mother.
I will get back to you all if i find it.
margaret55

Offline rlg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 24 October 10 02:24 BST (UK) »
margaret55

I think you are still correct.  The only problem is Joan's birthdate.  Here's why...

The only Georgina I've come across to this point is Georgina Nichol/Scott (1850-1907).  It looks like her real name was Nichol, but she was raised by her grandparents whose name was Scott.  (census info) She was married to Robert Graham (1834-1889) who was the 4th child of Alexander Graham and Agnes Tidman -- Joan was the 3rd.

Was this James McKenzie the informant?  Could he have mixed up Alexander's wife Agnes Tidman with son Robert's wife Georgina?  I've run across informants who mixed up their own grandparents! After Joan died in 1920, David Murray, Alexander, Agnes, Robert and Georgina were also all dead.  Which child James Mc Kenzie was married to?  The later ones might have been too young to even remember their grandparents Alexander and Agnes.

If you want to check out Robert and Georgina, Robbiesmum has them on the website she gave out on 19 Oct 2010 and there is a photo at the 2nd site she gave, volume 3 #172.

I think that you will be especially interested in the inscription Robbiesmum has beginning "In memory of Alexander son of David and Joan Murray...".  It even mentions a McKenzie grandchild.  Sorry, but I don't see a reference to a picture.

rlg

Offline margaret55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 24 October 10 13:41 BST (UK) »
to rlg
I have a census book for Canonbie 1841 i looked in there to see if there  was a Georgina Nichol or Scott i found Georgina Nichol at no 7 Byreburnfoot age 11 yrs she was a female servant.I dont know who she was living with no one else was at  no 7.
James McKenzie was the informant for Joan Graham /Murray.
I have been to Canonbie Churchard  a few times looking for infomation on my ancestors and i have seen Alexander & Agnes headstone & David & Joans also.
That is how i found out about James.
James Rose McKenzie from Melrose married Isabella Murray at the Wood Rowanburn Canonbie.They married on the 11th September 1896 James was 21yrs Isabella 28yrs.Their daughter Joan Graham McKenzie died at Melrose on 05/11/1906 age 2yrs.
On their marriage certificate Joan is down as Johanna Murray with miss Graham underneath.
margaret55

Offline IAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 15 November 10 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Re Robert Tidman (father of Agnes Tidman) - he was born in Nottingham 1776 and died in Selkirk 27 Feb 1855 aged 79 at the home of his daughter Mary (Tidman) Gray.  He was my 3 Gts Grandfather and I have his death certificate.

Offline IAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 14:43 GMT (UK) »

In my last message I should have mentioned that Robert Tidman and his wife Elizabeth (my 3 Gts) are to be found on both the 1841 and 1851 Census records at the Tushilaw Inn, Ettrick, Selkirk.  In 1851 Robert is described as a 75 yr old Farm Labourer (once a Sailor) born in Nottingham and Elizabeth is then 83 yrs old.   She must have died between 1851 and 1855 as she is not on the death records post 1855.

These Census records are for some reason not available on Ancestry but they can be found in the Census records of Scotland's People.

On Robert's death certificate he has three daughters:  Agnes (44), Mary (42) and Jane (40) -
Widower of Elizabeth Beattie.

IAM

Offline margaret55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iam
I havnt followed Agnes family further back than her.i knew who her parents were from her death certificate. But i have concentrated on the Laidlaws  more because they have come forward until almost present day.
margaret55

Offline rlg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 05:40 GMT (UK) »
I have found the deaths of some Grahams in TUNDERGARTH Parish (FHL microfilm 1067971) to whom I MAY be related because the timing is right and I know the family had connections there.  I would appreciate it if anyone is able to tell me any more about the following people:

William Graham of Peatstackdale interred 23 May 1820 age 76 (=> born 1743)
James Graham of Peatstackdale interred 10 Feb 1820 age 73 (=> born 1746)
Margaret Graham of Peatstackdale interred 9 Jan 1813 age 32 (=> born 1780)

also Agness Byers of Banks died 22 Aug 1836 (no age given)

MY INTEREST?  My 3rd GGrandfather James Graham (1771-1855) had parents William Graham and Agnes Byers according to his 1855 death registration.  This registration shows a longterm connection to Lambhill in Tundergarth parish. I know nothing more about William Graham.  No birth or marriage info.  My Agnes B was born in 1742 in Westerkirk, so this is the only William G in Tundergarth who would be about the right age to be her husband.  An age for Agness at death would have helped confirm or reject these people as related, but alas ...

The William and James here look like brothers while Margaret could be a daughter to one of them.

Information anyone?

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 11 August 11 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have a sarah graham marrying francis mcintosh at canonbie in 1799, and im more or less certain that francis's parents were now james mcintosh born canonbie and mary bell born around 1740's in canonbie. I had thought the parents were charles and mary mcintosh nee teasdale, but have discovered that both brothers had sons named francis at around the same time. H\as anyone any info on the parents of these two brothers, james and charles mcintosh. Charles was born in 1750, james approx 1740. Parents names were francis Mcintosh born 1709 in canonbie and hanna forrester/forster.
frankie
ps have seen the m.i pics of burials of james and mary in canonbie churchyard, living at hollos, or hollows. Which is the correct name for the area does anyone know. ?