Author Topic: Canonbie - Graham/Tidman/Beattie/Borthwick  (Read 29141 times)

Offline margaret55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canonbie - Graham/Tidman/Beattie/Borthwick
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver There is a headstone at Canonbie Churchyard  for Alexander Graham and Wife Agnes Tidman  i have seen it and written all the information down about them and their children.margaret55.

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 11:40 GMT (UK) »
My apologies for leading Robertd astray :)
My source was the booklet of Canonbie memorials.  I should have realised that these were based on the survey done in the 1960s when as a general rule burials taking place after 1855 were excluded -  Yes I know there are some and in fact Canonbie has significantly more than many of the other ones.  I'm glad that I was corrected.

Regards
Reiver

Offline robertd19m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for replying

Wul Graham - do you think your 4 x Grandfather is the brother of James Graham (Alexanders father)? Said James was also buried at Westerkirk (I think) - he died at Bentspath, Westerkirk on 8 May 1855. His death cert states his father was William Graham who married an Ann Byers. They had another child named George but I know little else.

Margaret55 - Robbiesmum was kind enough to send photos of said gravestone. Perhaps she would also be kind enough to send you a copy if you want one?

Reiver - no apologies required. Glad you took the time to help. I'm easily confused!

Regards to all

RobertD

Offline margaret55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert i have not found any have any brothers or sisters for Alexander Graham not sure who his parents were i have James Graham & Mary  ? are they possibly  his parents. I have the Westerkirk memorial inscription book and have just looked for a james Graham could it be the James you metion this one is the husband of Isabella Borthwick. margaret55

Offline robertd19m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Margaret55 - thanks for replying once more.

Yes I would be interested to see what you have on the "Grahams". It would also be handy to know what is on the inscription. I can be mailed at (*)

With luck the death cert of James Graham (Alexanders father) was 1855 which meant it contained a fair bit of detail regarding his children. It listed Isabel (DOB Abt 1799), John (Abt 1800) William (Abt 1805) and Agnes (Abt 1808). Said Alexander was about 1810. James Graham's spouse was Isabella Borthwick. James Grahams father was William Graham who was married to Agnes Byers. James Graham was born in the Parish of Tundergarth at somewhere called Lambmill (that may be wrong as the writing was a little illegible),

Hope this helps

RobertD

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Wul

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for replying

Wul Graham - do you think your 4 x Grandfather is the brother of James Graham (Alexanders father)? Said James was also buried at Westerkirk (I think) - he died at Bentspath, Westerkirk on 8 May 1855. His death cert states his father was William Graham who married an Ann Byers. They had another child named George but I know little else.

Margaret55 - Robbiesmum was kind enough to send photos of said gravestone. Perhaps she would also be kind enough to send you a copy if you want one?

Reiver - no apologies required. Glad you took the time to help. I'm easily confused!

Regards to all

RobertD

Hi RobertD

Lambhill is the correct spelling, some documents are really hard to read!

Archibald Graham had siblings John, Bridget,  Matthew and Marion all born in Milntown, Langholm, their father John Graham b.1717 Milntown, Langholm married Grizel Little b.1721 Milntown, Langholm. His father was James Graham b.1684 in Canonbie.

There may be a relation to the other Graham people in Westerkirk but, sorry, it is unknown to me.

http://www.dgcommunity.net/historicalindexes/census.aspx

My family is living at this address: Carlesgill(854)

http://www.langholmarchive.org.uk/

another good resource of information.

Regards,

Wul

edit: Have a look at my website for some pictures of Westerkirk graveyard as well a basic .ged file you can download to look at.

http://www.wulgraham.co.uk/index.html

Offline robertd19m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Wul

Excellent webpage you have created. Really informative for your family and others. I didn't realise that there were so many Graham's in the Canonbie area. I presume Westerkirk is fairly nearby. Just my luck that I can't find a tap into your findings though there must be a Westerkirk link somewhere?

Thanks meantime.

RobertD

Wul

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Wul

Excellent webpage you have created. Really informative for your family and others. I didn't realise that there were so many Graham's in the Canonbie area. I presume Westerkirk is fairly nearby. Just my luck that I can't find a tap into your findings though there must be a Westerkirk link somewhere?

Thanks meantime.

RobertD

Thanks RobertD

Much more will be added in time, you need to read "The Steel Bonnets" by George MacDonald Fraser, that will give you a better idea of Graham history in the Border area.

Bentpath, Westerkirk is an area north of Langholm on the B709 and well worth visiting if you have the time!

Offline robertd19m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 March 09 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Wul

Thanks for the picture. We stay in Edinburgh but will certainly take a trip to Westerkirk some time soon.

Keep up the good work

RobertD