Author Topic: Goodwin marriage  (Read 4451 times)

Online Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Goodwin marriage
« on: Tuesday 15 February 05 19:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace a marriage between Edward Goodwin and Mary Something-or-other in Shropshire circa 1818.  Edward was born in Bridgnorth; their first child was born in Quatt Malvern, but all others in Bridgnorth.  Any Goodwin connections out there???
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Goodwin marriage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 March 05 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
EDWARD GOODWIN  married MARY HANCOX  26th April 1818   Ribbesford, Worcester
(Next county from Shropshire)
Hope this helps  :) :) :)

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 March 05 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ever so much - that sounds a serious possibility!  My uncle had done considerable research in Shropshire without finding the marriage, so an out-of-county marriage seems likely.  I'll work on this!
 :D
Manchester Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 11 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hello again

Just noticed your post during my many seemingly fruitless searches, I digress...

I don't know if this is also helpful:

Edward Goodwin b. 1793 Bridgenorth, m. Mary Sarah Haycock 26 April 1818, offspring:

Anna Maria
John Ambrose
William
Edwin
Mary Ann
Thomas

Though all are born in Bridgenorth, Quatt is a small village close to Bridgenorth.

Regards
Geoff

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 July 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Geoff - is that marriage listed at Ribbesford or elsewhere?  Mary Hancox/Mary Sarah Haycock looks like 2 transcriptions of the same person?

(I have full details for all the children if anyone's interested - John Ambrose Goodwin is my direct ancestor.)

Rambler

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 July 11 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

I recognise the line now from a previous post, I believe it was Ralph/Raph Goodwin and Dorothy (1620 - 1640's) without checking.

The interesting point about this post however, was Quatt Malvern because I've come across this place before and felt sure it was in Bridgnorth, after a little checking I see that it is, or part of it is, looks like one of those boundary villages.

Yeah, the lady's surname is causing the confusion, either Mary Sarah Hancock or Mary Hancox (more likely) alveleyhistorian is probably quite right.

I did a search of some 'trees' on the larger genealogy sites and one in particular holds a line from Edward 1793 to John Ambrose jr b 1851. I'm not sure about the privacy/confidentiality but if you can advise me, I can point you in the right direction. No guarantees on the validity though, as there is no source info attached.

Regards
Geoff

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 July 11 17:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks, but it was just Mary's surname I was looking for - there are extracted christening records on IGI for Edward and Mary's children, including "my" John Ambrose (7 Aug 1822), and I have census and BMD info (certs etc) from then onwards.

Using the Bridgnorth christening records, I have Edward's line back to Thomas (c1618), who is almost certainly a son of Ralph.  (This is my Goodwin line on my own website: http://www.angloswiss.net/documents/goodwin.html)

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 July 11 18:10 BST (UK) »
The site I was referring to was not your site, it was on Ancestry.com and a different name, unless you use a pseudonym.

I just thought it was interesting that the name Hancock was specifically used instead of the cited Hancox.

It's probably meaningless though, the different surnames are probably the same person.

Geoff

Offline charlotte fens

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Manchester Rambler,

Apologies for posting a message on an old thread, but having discovered that you are the person responsible for angloswiss.net, I just felt the need to get in touch somehow and thank you for the work that you have done on the Goodwin family tree.

I see that it is no longer running and am so sorry now that I didn't take the time to print off our family tree. I have shown my family the site online so many times in the past and wanted to let you know that there must be so many people that have enjoyed it, like us, that have never made ourselves known to you.

If it is of interest to you, at the bottom of the tree is Elsie May Goodwin (my precious Nan who sadly passed away) who married my Grandfather, George Jackson. I just thought you might like to add us on to the bottom! They had one daughter, (*)

Thank you again,

Charlotte Fensome (nee. Bagley) [

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc.