Author Topic: Doherty of Boston Decesendents of Owen Doherty circa 1825  (Read 11158 times)

Offline GRACELANDS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doherty of Boston Decesendents of Owen Doherty circa 1825
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 May 09 12:28 BST (UK) »
:D  Thanks for this link, sorry have not  answered earlier, have had problems with the computer.  Have taken a look and cannot seem to find my relatives but will double check as it easy to miss with so many names.  I am going to see some relatives to day (McLoughlins's) they are the only Irish connection I have and Sarah Doherty was their mother who died when they were all very young. so I Do not think I will get much.   have tried in the past and failed but some of the information sent may just jog a few memories.

Thanks

Graceland

Offline Glashedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 21:06 BST (UK) »
You mentioned that your grandmother, Sarah's parents were Dennis and Mary Doherty of Cregnagor/Craignagor
You also mentioned Owen Doherty of Cregnagor c1825. Was Owen the father of Dennis?
Was this information passed to you down through the family? If not, how did you learn of Owen Doherty?
I may be able to help you if I understand these  links clearly myself!!
I look forward to hearing from you again!

Glashedy*

* name taken from a rock in the Atlantic Ocean,visible from Craignagor!!

Offline GRACELANDS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 17:57 BST (UK) »
:) In reply to your question. Some years ago my father was passed some info thought to have been collected by distant relatives in America on Owen born Circa  1825. Originally I was researching my fathers roots of McLaughlin born Malin.  His father Patrick married Sarah Doherty and worked the farm bought previously by his father Henry P McLaughlin in March 1915, Henry states on the deeds he was a rate collector.

Unable to go further back due to lack of information I looked at owen's information.  It seems to show Owen had 10 children my great grandfather Dennis being one of them born 1863.  Dennis married Mary Nelson and lived in Cregnagor, Clonmany.  They went on to have 11 children one being Sarah born 1898 my grandmother, who married Patrick McLaughlin and lived in Malin.

Hope this is not too confusing.

Happy to receive any help I can get.

Gracelands

Offline Glashedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 July 09 23:32 BST (UK) »
I am delighted to tell you that I have found your Clonmany, Donegal and US Doherty family!!

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/d/e/v/Daniel-J-Devlin/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-Index.html#Doherty

I referred to this website before. Daniel J Devlin has done tremendous work on his own Clonmany roots, and your family is part of it !!

His work is researched to the highest standard so you can have complete confidence in it.

If I can be of any further help do not hesitate to contact me

Warmest regards

Enjoy!

Glashedy

Offline clonmany

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 June 10 19:08 BST (UK) »
I was just referred to this page by someone form the Clonmany Genealogy Facebook page. All I can say is wow; it is amazing the amount of information that is here. I am the grandson of Bridget Doherty who married John Grant. She lived in Cregnagor and was the daughter of Dennis Doherty. The family nick name is pronounced Dennis Owney. If anyone want further information on the family here in the US or Donegal just email me and I can fill you in.

Offline GRACELANDS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 20:44 BST (UK) »
 :D

Hello there,  I am also a descendant of Owen Doherty.  My grandmother was Sarah Doherty the sister of Bridget.  Sarah married Patrick McLaughlin and stayed in Ireland although she did visit her siblings in America.  My father Eugene McLoughlin also visited relatives on his mothers side in America in the 60,S

Regards

Shelly

Offline grainnedo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, my name is Grainne Doherty.
My father is Denis Doherty Denis owney.. would love to get him talking to you to give you some info 😊

Offline Glashedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 July 15 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Grainne, for contacting me.
I will be away from home for a week or so, but I will be delighted to talk to you soon

Warmest regards

Offline pgavin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 18:31 BST (UK) »
Mary Doherty Dolan is my grandmother....she passed away June 5, 1957.  Michael Dolan born Jan 23, 1881 and passed Jan 30, 1972.
My father James Anthony Dolan married Catherine Corrigan had 2 daughters - Jeanne and Margaret [me]. after my parents separated I lost contact with my other 2 cousins.  I do remember going to Mary's funeral.  She was a love.
Marie did not have any children, although she married Vinny Costa...a very interesting character
John [Jack] married Mary ?? and also had 2 daughters, Kathleen and Karen.  They still live in Medford in the house on Golden Ave. 
I have tried to contact them thru written letters, etc but they do not answer.
I did not realize that Mary came from a large family...so I may have other cousins out there!!
Regards
Peg Dolan Gavin