Author Topic: Royan  (Read 4967 times)

Offline IAA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Royan
« on: Sunday 08 March 09 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Any Royan's out there, if so please get in touch.  I have extensive information on this family.   I am a descendant from Alexander Royan and Mary Macdonald (my great, great grandparents).  Alexander Royan was born Boharm, Morayshire 1 February 1825, Mary Macdonald was born Dornoch around 1830.  Alexander and Mary married 21 November 1850 in Golspie.  Many of Alexander and Mary's descendants emigrated to Canada, America and Australia.
MacKay (Harris, Western Isles), Royan, Dunbar, Kelly (mainly Morayshire)

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 09 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I am not a Royan, but am trying to find information on a James Royan born abt 1837, who married Elizabeth Callum, born abt 1843.  They lived in Rose Place Elgin and at 210 High St.  In the 1891 census, they have one Jessie A Royan aged 6, listed with them.  This Jessie was illigitimate, born in 1885 to one Margaret Harrold. The birth was at 210 High St; no father is listed on the birth certificate, however other information suggests he was a Hendry.  Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

emjaye
milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline IAA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 April 09 13:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for contacting.  This is very strange I have been in contact with a lady in Australia who is also looking for Jessie.  I will contact her and ask if it is ok to give you her email.   

IAA

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 April 09 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Irene, it's me, Michaele..!!  Silly me, I did see your original post, dated 2005, but I thought I'd put the question out there in case anyone else had a clue.  RootsChat is my first go at posting, so I'm a bit green.  Talk to you soon.
milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline stuartroxy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me at work! But not any more :0(
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 June 09 18:10 BST (UK) »
Not sure if it is relevant, but one of the local Elgin butchers - still on the High Street - is J (Jim?) Royan.

Stuart
Roxburgh/Rock/O'Rouk - Edinburgh/Glasgow/Australia
Slora/Slorach - Edinburgh/Aberdeen/Moray
Roberts/Robert - Edinburgh/Torphichen
Cochrane - Edinburgh
Johnston - Shetland/Australia
Davison - Sunderland
Curtis - Sunderland/Norfolk
Shirran - Aberdeenshire/Edinburgh
Rettie - Aberdeenshire
Leng - Sunderland
Lay - Sunderland
Rogers/Rodgers - Sunderland

Offline IAA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 June 09 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my message.  Royan, Butcher in Elgin is part of my tree.

Irene

Offline Dingaling

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 August 16 01:43 BST (UK) »
 I have been researching my Evans family tree and have a Katie Margaret Evans who married a Lewis Ryan in 1926 at Linton Essex. Lewis was in the RAF and stationed at Duxford.
 Lewis Ryans father was John Ryan (dec a miner) and his mother was Eleanor. Lewis is also noted as a butcher in other records.
Lewis Ryan died in 1974 and buried at Elgin Morayshire. The surname is also spelt as Royan.
Lewis Ryans first wife Katie Margaret Evans died in 1939 at Isleworth UK. Lewis is noted as Journeyman and a Butcher. Katie and Lewis had two children June (dec) and Rita Margaret b 1932.
Lewis remarried in 1941 to Isabel Whitecross at Inverness.
I have not been able to trace the Evans/ Ryan line since 1932 . Hoping that you may be able to guide me. Cheers
Allan, Dow,Boggie,Douglas,Hillock...Scotland
Potts,Tattersall,Wells,Turner, Brown,Saxby,Knighton,Brangwin,Thompson,Shipton,Hockey.....England and Australia
Coleman, Richards, Hughes, Lloyd, Chambers. Wales and England.
 Evans, Thomas, Humphreys, Williams, Jones, LLoyd. Wales
Parsey, Price, Taylor, Protheroe, Jenkins. Kerford.
....Wales and England.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 August 16 01:55 BST (UK) »
I am not a Royan, but am trying to find information on a James Royan born abt 1837, who married Elizabeth Callum, born abt 1843.  They lived in Rose Place Elgin and at 210 High St.  In the 1891 census, they have one Jessie A Royan aged 6, listed with them.  This Jessie was illigitimate, born in 1885 to one Margaret Harrold. The birth was at 210 High St; no father is listed on the birth certificate, however other information suggests he was a Hendry.  Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Can you tell us what relationship Jessie A Royan was on the census please to head of household?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 August 16 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

Jessie listed as "Adopted daughter", scholar, living at 28 South Guildry Street

emjaye