Author Topic: George Allen/Allan  (Read 10887 times)

Offline colmain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Allen/Allan
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 08:55 BST (UK) »
Realize I am a couple of years  behind with this one, but - my MAINS family were the ones that your George ALLEN married into.  Did you by any chance come across any additional MAINS info in your research?
I have what you have already posted, the only commment I can make is that Fanny ALLEN as in 1891 census is actually Fanny (Frances) TATE on the original.  She was Fanny MAINS, Mary Jane's dau from 1st marr.

Mary Jane was listed as a widow on her marr to George ALLEN, do you  know any different? I THINK her 1st husband may have actually remarried rather than died!

Son Geo still in Middlesborough 1911.

You may already have all this info -just in case not!

Col
Jeffery/rey - NBL
Mains - IRE/NBL/DUR
Hall - Bedfordshire
White - Roscommon
Connel(l) - Culross/ Brixton/ Surrey
Payne - Berks/ Hampshire/ SRY
Edwards - S Aust
Ytting - S Aust/ Denmark

King/ Monet/ Mitchell/ Hall/ Harris/ Steel/ Long/ Stead - Hartlepool & Stockton DUR

Offline afossil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 September 11 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Colmain,
I can't help with Mains I'm afraid as I did not attempt to trace them.  Interesting if she was not a widow.
Best wishes
afossil

Offline marcuswk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 October 11 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi - I would be keen to hear anything you had found out about this line.
From my research my great great grandfather was David Allen born 1846 in Ireland and Margaret Allens younger brother so we are distant relations.  I had traced back David to his father George the blacksmith and how he was born in Ireland, married and had children then moved to the north east of england and married again with more children.
Am particularly keen to trace the Allen line back into Ireland

Thanks

Marcus Allen

Offline colmain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 14 October 11 05:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcus - afraid I can't be of much help on the ALLEN line, haven't done any research there.  All i have is the 1871-1911 census info which you obviously already have.  And of course the marriage details of George & my Mary Jane MAINS.  Shall let you know if I come across anything different!

Best wishes, Col
Jeffery/rey - NBL
Mains - IRE/NBL/DUR
Hall - Bedfordshire
White - Roscommon
Connel(l) - Culross/ Brixton/ Surrey
Payne - Berks/ Hampshire/ SRY
Edwards - S Aust
Ytting - S Aust/ Denmark

King/ Monet/ Mitchell/ Hall/ Harris/ Steel/ Long/ Stead - Hartlepool & Stockton DUR

Offline afossil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 October 11 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcus,
How nice to find a relative.   Margaret and David must have been quite close to have shared an insurance book.
If you send me a personal message with your email address I can probably scan some of the details from it to send you.  Click on the green scroll under the user name.   
I have not managed to get any further on this line - indeed it has taken me over 20 years to get this far so it is slow progress!
afossil

Offline afossil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 08:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the message.  I will sort out my papers over the weekend and let you have the information.  Good to make contact.
afossil

Offline 100Bears

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 April 15 11:23 BST (UK) »
I realise these posts were a few years ago, I have been trying to find information on my 2nd Great Grandmother Margaret Allen born 1844 (according to census info and marriage cert) Father George Allen born Ireland 1811 - though several census give different dates and places.  Margaret Married Henry Brown in Tynemouth.  I can find no trace of Margaret until her marriage on any census so she too may have been born in Ireland.

I thought Fanny Allen was her sister and then found that she was born Fanny Mains,  father  Robert, mother Mary Jane Martin.  I even started to wonder if Margaret Allen was actually Margaret Mains and found a birth close in date but it seems the child died. 

I wondered if anyone had got any further in their research and if you would share any info/docs suggestions you have.  As I said I realise it's a few years ago but I don't think this family history bug ever goes away!!

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi 100Bears and welcome to rootschat,
Henry Brown is one of my ancestors too.    I have never found a birth for Margaret though the family lived in Walker as far as I know.
Their son Henry, born 1870, and Mary Annie Rowan were my grandparents.
How do you fit in?

Offline 100Bears

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for your reply, Margaret Allen is my 2nd Great Grandmother, I also descend from Henry and Mary Annie Rowan - so we are related.

I spent a lot of time trying to find Margaret's birth with no luck, following the threads from roots chat several years ago I now think she was born in Ireland.  Unfortunately with no idea where in Ireland its going to be difficult.

I am just starting to look at the Brown/Rowan side in a little more detail.  I was passed a very basic tree from some years ago by a family member but it says Mary Annie Rowan's mother was a Mary Ann Duffy?  I looked at it a couple of years ago and I am not so sure I  agree - I wondered if you had any further info.

Thanks again for the reply, nice to make contact with a family member.