Author Topic: Ince in Cheshire  (Read 8849 times)

Offline chrissiehope

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ince in Cheshire
« on: Tuesday 15 February 05 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Whilst doing research for my mum's book on her Hindley family history, I have acquired quite a bit of info about various families that lived in Ince in Cheshire (not far from Ellesmere Port), during the mid to late 1700s to early 1800s.

Anyone with an interest in this largely overrun (by Shell Oil !) village is welcome to contact me & I will pass on anything I have that is relevant to them
Hindley family (Chesh/NWales), Hope family (Chesh), Sheppard family (London), Carlisle family (London), Welch family (London/Notts).
Abergele town/area esp Chapel St/Post Office Lane 1800-1900

Offline Louaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ince in Cheshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrissie,

I read your message with interest.  My research has recently discovered a relationship to the Nield and Woodfin(e) families in Ince. My husband's great great grandfather was William Nield b. 1836 in Ince.  His parents were William and Mary Woodfine.  I would be very grateful to hear if you have any relevant information on these families. 

Best wishes, Sheila.
BANKS / WHITEHEAD , Wirral CHS
CROMBIE / WASHINGTON / GIBSON / FERNIHOUGH / DONE / CLULOW in Leek, STS
DONE / WILD / CHALLINOR in Prees / Myddle SAL
BAILEY / SHEPHERD in Dawley / Little Wenlock, SAL
BAILEY in Cannock, STS
MORAN / CROFT / SHONE / CRUMP Wirral, CHS
NIELD / WOODFINE around Ince / Barrow, CHS
MARTIN around Leadenham, LIN
MINTON in South Wales.
FARMER / HAMILTON / NIELD Widnes, LAN
CRUMP around BROSELEY / WELLINGTON SAL
ORRILLARD  anywhere

Offline chrissiehope

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila,

These are the references that I have with those names - it's a bit cryptic I'm afraid, but I should be able to expand on most of them if they're relevant !

Presumably the William Neild below is not the same one - how come he wasn't Woodfine ?!!

Although I have a Mary, she wasn't married to a William as far as I can see, and I don't have a William at all !!

"Nield, Susan "Poor money reduced" 1847 (Rev Slater)
Nield, William 1804 Blacksmith (Slater 1844 & 1855)

Woodfine, Abel b 1753 m Mary ?Anson?; stepson Thomas Anson (lease1793);churchwarden 1793 (Rev Slater)  Husbandman D age 45 1798 //
Woodfine, Elizabeth Spinster D 1803//
Woodfin, Jane d 1754, Woodfaine Jane "poor money" 1749 (Rev Slater)
Woodfine, John - Lot II 1804 big farm Woodfin, John 1804
Woodfin, Margaret shopkeeper (Slater 1855)
Woodfine, Mary - b 1720 [?mother of Thomas Anson b 1756?]; Lot I 1804 farm Woodfin, Mary, Widow of Abel, 1804 Woodfine Mary 1805; 61 in 1801 (Rev Slater)"

If you want any further info from this list, you'd better contact me direct at tisrplace@tiscali.co.uk as some of the stuff I've got is a bit too big to post here, and I'll have to email it to you !!

Hope this is of some help,
Cheers,
Chris
Hindley family (Chesh/NWales), Hope family (Chesh), Sheppard family (London), Carlisle family (London), Welch family (London/Notts).

Offline molly78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 June 05 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrissie,

Hope you don't mind me jumping on the bandwagon but I briefly visited St Peter's in Ince on Sat (I see what you mean by Shell Oil-it's a real shame). I was looking for any Percival graves but because of the long grass I had to beat a retreat and will bring my wellies next time!
More specifically, my ancestor William Percival was born in Ince in 1821 and was the son of George and Jane Pericival. He married Mary Davies at St Peter's in 1841-I can provide more info tomorrow but my notes have been left at home. William and Mary then moved to Ellesmere Port where he worked as a Porter before running the Whitby Tavern for some years.

Any help much appreciated.

Molly
Pashby-Levisham
Hammond-Whitby, Yorks
Price-Ellesmere Port, Ches
Preston-Liverpool

Offline molly78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 June 05 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrissie,

Hope you don't mind me jumping on the bandwagon but I briefly visited St Peter's in Ince on Sat (I see what you mean by Shell Oil-it's a real shame). I was looking for any Percival graves but because of the long grass I had to beat a retreat and will bring my wellies next time!
More specifically, my ancestor William Percival was born in Ince in 1821 and was the son of George and Jane Pericival. He married Mary Davies at St Peter's in 1841-I can provide more info tomorrow but my notes have been left at home. William and Mary then moved to Ellesmere Port where he worked as a Porter before running the Whitby Tavern for some years.

Molly
Pashby-Levisham
Hammond-Whitby, Yorks
Price-Ellesmere Port, Ches
Preston-Liverpool

Offline spellbound

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 January 11 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chrissie,

Molly
Hi Molly,
Having just found that we are looking for the same Percivals of Ince, if you could please contact me on (*)

Regards

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 January 11 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Spellbound,

It would be wise to edit your post & remove your personal email to avoid spam etc. and ask Molly to PM you with her details.

Offline Edgar Gregory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 January 11 19:53 GMT (UK) »
My wife's great-great grandfather was from Ince. He was named John Carman/Carmon (born c. 1810), but in early life he also called himself John Hindley!! John married Anne Hughes at St. Martin's, Chester in 1827 and later married Esther Jones at the same church in 1837. The children of John & Esther were all given the surname Carman. Do you know anything about the Hindley/Carman connection?

Regards,

Edgar Gregory

Offline chrissiehope

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 January 11 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Edgar,

Amazing - I rarely log on here these days, and yet its only a few days since you posted !!

Yes, there is something somewhere about a Hindley / Carman connection, but its so long since I looked at the file I can't remember  ::) !

I am sending you a pm with my email address - if you email me give it a subject "For Chrissie Hope re family history" or it may get 'spammed' by mistake ! In the meantime I will try & find the relevant info (if any !)

Cheers,
Chris