Author Topic: Huntingtowerfield, Parish of Tibbermore.  (Read 15310 times)

Offline MairiD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Huntingtowerfield, Parish of Tibbermore.
« on: Monday 09 March 09 23:09 GMT (UK) »
  Is anyone very familiar with the Huntingtower area, just west of Perth?

The address given on the birth certificates of two of my gt., gt. grandfather's children, in 1855 and
1857, was Huntingtowerfield.     He was the gardener there at the time.  By the 1861 census he had moved to Forfarshire so I do not have the benefit of a census form detailing his exact address.

However looking at a census form for 1851, at No 1 Huntingtowerfield lived the Bleacher of the local works, William Turnbull, his wife and servants- in other words the manager.   At No 2 lived Andrew Small, the retired bleacher and his modest household.   At No 3 lived the gardener at the time--not my gt., gt. grandfather- a previous one.

What and where was/is No 1 Huntingtowerfield, ie. the residence of the bleach works owners?

What might have been No 2, ie. a kind of Dower House?

Is the gardener's house/cottage identified as such today?   

I looked at an 1867 map on 'Old Maps' ( this ten years later than my relative's time) and thought I could see outlines of an estate garden to the south of the old Huntingtower Castle.

On a modern map there are Huntingtower (presumably the village), Mains of Huntingtower, Huntingtower Castle, Huntingtower farm, Huntingtower Haugh.

Huntingtowerfield is given today as the address of The Hirsel where old and new cottages exist, let as holiday accomodation.  Aren't these technically at Ruthvenfield?

As my relative's address was Huntingtowerfield, not Ruthvenfield, I presume his house/cottage was to the south of the castle but the longer I look at the maps, the more confused I am, especially as the old map appears to show much shorter distances than the modern map.

Were there two separate estates formerly or was there just the one?

I have studied the history of the Bleachworks and know, for example, that the offices and clocktower were built in 1866, after my relatives time.

I would be grateful for any information linked the above.

MairiD

Fife;  Annan,  Annal,  Robertson, Laing, Coutts.
E. Lothian; Ness.
W. Lothian; Cuthbertson.
Argyll; Walker, Campbell.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Huntingtowerfield, Parish of Tibbermore.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mairi

Another useful resource for old maps is the National Library of Scotland http://www.nls.uk/maps/

http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch/google.html if you zoom right in you can see an old map (sometime 1840-1880) which shows the individual buildings around Hunting Tower Castle.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline MairiD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 23:05 GMT (UK) »
  Hi Kirsty,

Thanks for that reminder. I visit the NLS site regularly but had forgotten to look the other evening. The 1840s map was, of course, much clearer on the NLS site. On the modern map, I see the A9 cuts right through this area!

Would still like to hear about the estate(s), gardens and what was known then as Huntingtowerfield. I telephoned a library in Perth, also the owner of some local cottages but knowledge was vague, unfortunately.

Mairi.

E. Lothian; Ness.
W. Lothian; Cuthbertson.

Offline eadygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 June 09 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Mairi,

I'm so pleased to find another Huntingtower-confused person - welcome aboard!

My great-great grandparents were married at Huntingtower Orchard in 1861 and it took me about 2 years to finally discover they were married in the brides family home which is just in front (south?) of the castle on the road up to the castle that leads of the A84. My family had been there since the 1840s I think, and were there right up to 1901.

As I'm in Australia, all this was hard work but one lead led to another. However, I did manage to have a holiday in Scotland in 06 and spent some time (4 days!) at the AK Bell Library in Perth - the family history librarians and the archivists were a mine of information and helped me resolve all, getting me back to 1770, which was vastly better than where I'd began.  We dug thru the OPRs. rate books, rent books, burial records, apprenticeship records, compared old maps to new etc etc.  I would suggest, if you could manage it..a few days in the fair city of Perth!

I've visited Huntingtower/Huntingtowerfield/Ruthvenfield a few times now (and am about to go back in September). It's quite pretty & well worth a visit, but unfortunately close to an unattractive area of light industry between the A9 and the A84. Don't let that put you off!

You didn't say what NAMES you are searching for.  If they were Huntingtower locals they may have been like my family (BELL, COOK, HENDRY, MENZIES) and went to the Tibbermore church? Let me know...perhaps my helpers can help you?

My great-great grandparents were so proud of their birthplace that they named their first house in Australia...Huntingtower.

All best Mairi  :D ::)
Liz

Dann - Hunts, Cambs, Lancs, Australia and NZ
Menzies - Perthshire, Australia and NZ
Hind - Lincs, Yorks, Australia
Manton - Lincs, London, Chile, Mauritius, Australia
Lowther - Wilts, Australia
Noy - Cornwall, Australia
Edwards & Davies - South Wales
Nowlan & McHale - Carlow and c.Mayo Ireland, and Carisbrook Vic,Australia

Offline MairiD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 June 09 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,

Many thanks for your input. That was all very interesting. Yes I would love to visit but that is difficult for me. Was thinking I might be able to stay at 'The Bield' at Blackruthven some time in the future.

My relative was Andrew Robertson Annan and he was a master gardener there, probably in one of the houses to the south of the castle, in the 1850s.  By 1861 the family had moved to the Montrose area.  The records I have as proof of his stay and status are the birth certificates of two of his children.
  Am heartened by all the sources you discovered, courtesy of the Bell Library. Coming from so far and of course infrequently, all that information found would have gone a long way towards making your trip worthwhile. A personal visit achieves more than a written/e-mail/telephone request, though I must say I had wonderful help through e-mail from St. Andrew's University Library some months a go.

Menzies rings a bell---was he a gardener there?

I did a Google image search of the area and found some evocative modern photos of the countryside and castle. 'Scran' had old images of the castle and the bleachworks.

Best wishes,
 Mairi.
E. Lothian; Ness.
W. Lothian; Cuthbertson.

Offline steve4969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 July 09 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I have lived in Ruvthenfield for the last 17 years in one of the Mill cottages about a five minute walk from the castle, if i can help you with any thing photos of the area etc i would be happy to do so

regards

Steve

Offline MairiD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 July 09 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

That is a very kind offer.

Might you be able to look at the NLS map library, find the 1840-1880s map of Huntingtowerfield and identify or guess which buildings would have been gardener's houses?
The records I have ( birth certifcates) state Huntingtower on one and Huntingtowerfield on the other.

Looking at my copies of the old map, I guess one gardener's house might have been Huntingtower Cottage, a short distance south east of the castle. Another might have been a building in the Mains of Huntingtower group.   I have no idea which buildings in the area still exist today.

Perhaps some of them have a date on a wall.    My relative was there some years between 1852 and 1860/1861. Some of the Bleachworks buildings post date this so they can be discounted.

I would love to have a photo. of any area that might be related to a gardener's home or work e.g. a remnant of a walled garden.

Many thanks,
MairiD.
E. Lothian; Ness.
W. Lothian; Cuthbertson.

Offline steve4969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 July 09 08:06 BST (UK) »
Mairi, will try and nip out tonight and have a look, there is a row of old cottages south of the castle which have a date on the gable end. Cant think of any walled gardens in this area, the castle had a garden and orchard at one point. I have a feeling Huntingtower field is further along down beside the Huntingtower hotel which back in the day was the owners of the bleach works home, could they have been a gardener for them, there is also a large clock tower around there will take some photos of hotel castle cottages and tower and get back to you as soon as i can

Steve

Offline steve4969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Mairi, had a look at the row of cottages south of the castle, the date on the gable end reads 1895. There is no other evidence standing of any cottages of the age, there are 3 stone buildings all within a few hundred metres of the castle, Huntingtower house, Mains of Huntingtower farm and i believe the other one is called the white house.all fairly large homes, and I'm guessing probably date from the 1800's, it is possible the cottages built in 1895 could have been built on the grounds the cottages you are looking for if they had become derelict??  I have spoken to a few other local people and all are agreed the area known as Huntingtowerfield is over between the clock tower and the hotel, the hotel used to be the bleach works owners home, is it possible your relatives was a gardiner on the estate?? Will investigate further for you, am heading away till Saturday, will get back in touch next week.

Regards

Steve