Author Topic: Huntingtowerfield, Parish of Tibbermore.  (Read 15344 times)

Offline steve4969

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Huntingtowerfield, Parish of Tibbermore.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 August 09 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Mairi, yes that is the South facing side

Steve

Offline Isabella Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 04 January 15 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Just found this site and am interested that your family names are Bell and Cook.  My maternal grandfather was called Matthew Ewing Cook and from around 1925 his address was The Orchard Huntingtower, Inveralmond Estate.  My mother was Isabella Bell Cook and often spoke of the long walk to Tibbermore church.  Their house was a white cottage which you got to by walking along the back of the castle.  Mum often spoke of playing around the castle as her uncle managed it.  Matthew Cook was married to Euphemia Ramsay Henderson and they came from Paisley to live in Huntingtower for whatever reason.  They had 6 children Alex, Jean, May, Isabella, Ewing and Margaret.  I have visited their house which now appears to be  a shed for growing mushrooms.

Offline eadygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I'm so sorry to take so long to pick up on my posts but we moved house ( big time - 500 miles away sell and buy sort of stuff!) late last year and I had to take my eye off the family tree for many months.
Isabella Bell, your real or internet name - I think we may be related. 
Just to remind you, my GG grandmother was Margaret Cook of Huntingtower Orchard.  Her mother was Isabella Bell Cook and father John Cook.  The latter are both buried at Tibbermore church, yes, a long walk from home. I have been there a few times and left flowers.   It's an even longer trip from Australia, my home country.
I think we should get in touch.
Cheers,  Liz

Dann - Hunts, Cambs, Lancs, Australia and NZ
Menzies - Perthshire, Australia and NZ
Hind - Lincs, Yorks, Australia
Manton - Lincs, London, Chile, Mauritius, Australia
Lowther - Wilts, Australia
Noy - Cornwall, Australia
Edwards & Davies - South Wales
Nowlan & McHale - Carlow and c.Mayo Ireland, and Carisbrook Vic,Australia

Offline Isabella Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 30 May 15 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Liz,

Yes I agree we have a connection and I have been trying to work it out.  My late mother's name is Isabella Bell Cook and that's the name I have used.  My great grandfather was Alexander Cook, he was a market gardener, married to Mary Cook and they lived at The Orchard Huntingtower.  The 1911 census shows him living there with his wife and 2 others.  Many years ago my mother benefitted from an estate of Alexander Cook residing in New Zealand and I do believe  he was a son of John and Isabella Cook.  Hopefully you can make sense of that information.  I lived in Scotland for 21 years and am now in West Sussex England.

Kind Regards,

Eileen

Offline eadygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 31 May 15 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen,

This is all so exciting! I have been working on my family tree for over 10 years. 3 trips to Scotland and one to NZ.  Only once have I come across another member of the Cook/Bell family from Huntingtower. That's an amazing story to be kept for later on....it involves my GG grandmothers sister Isabella Cook. 

My GG grandmother was Margaret Cook, eldest child of Isabella Bell and John Cook of Huntingtower Orchard.  She married Peter Menzies (from Kinnoull, Perth) in 1862 and as Peter was a journeyman ship's carpenter, they set off for Australia the following year on the famous clipper ship "Lightning".
My great grandmother, also named Margaret, was born on board in the middle of the Indian Ocean en route.

Peter and Margaret had 3 more children - Jane, Helen and John, all 3 never married and suprisingly to me, all 3 died in Melbourne but all were born in New Zealand.  Why?

There is a NZ connection which I only worked out last year.  Margaret Cook's younger brother John was working and living in Hokitika and I suspect Dunedin in the 1860s.  He was married, and had one daughter who married late and had no children.  Now you pop up with your mum inheriting from the estate of an Alexander Cook of NZ.  It's a good Cook family name, and another can of worms for me.

I think we should chat via email, I have enough photos, documents and stuff that will addle your brain. I'm sure you have the same!  You can find me at (*)

I look forward to hearing from you and I think we can safely say we're cousins!
cheers,
Liz

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Dann - Hunts, Cambs, Lancs, Australia and NZ
Menzies - Perthshire, Australia and NZ
Hind - Lincs, Yorks, Australia
Manton - Lincs, London, Chile, Mauritius, Australia
Lowther - Wilts, Australia
Noy - Cornwall, Australia
Edwards & Davies - South Wales
Nowlan & McHale - Carlow and c.Mayo Ireland, and Carisbrook Vic,Australia

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 August 21 15:01 BST (UK) »
Just spotted this thread and wondered if any one could offer any background information to a relative - Andrew McCombie, a farm labourer living in Huntingtower bothy in 1851?