Author Topic: 110th army troop royal engineers,East Lancashire.  (Read 51630 times)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
110th army troop royal engineers,East Lancashire.
« on: Tuesday 10 March 09 03:55 GMT (UK) »
hi..my grandfather served in ww2 in the 110th army troop,Royal Engineers.East Lancashire.From what i know already,,the troop were part of the B.E.F and were evacuated from Dunkirk. He later went to Tunisia,Algeria and Italy.Ihave his old re-union list with many names on it,and would be interested to hear from any rootschatters whos father,grandfather also served in this troop.A long shot i know,but you never know. looking at the list it seems most of the troop came from manchester and surrounding areas. Ihave some old photos and someone may be interested to see them. Heres hoping !!!!
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 110th army troop royal engineers,East Lancashire.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 09:08 GMT (UK) »
take a look at the post on 25th feb by TerryA.

His dad was from Miles Platting, and was BEF but captured. No troop details but its the right area for you.

The post is locked but you could pm him.

Good luck.

Offline LamBowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 November 09 07:54 GMT (UK) »
My dad served with the 110th Army Troop Company, Royal Engineers in all the places you list - also in Sicily, Greece and Austria.  He was part of the BEF, but was evacuated from St. Nazaire ten days after the Dunkirk evacuations. 

His name is William (Bill) Lamb and he was born and bred in Ardwick, Manchester.  He enlisted at Ardwick Green in 1939 and was 'batman' to Lieutenant John Percy Walton M.M. prior to him (Walton)joining Bomb Disposal and being killed by the bomb he was trying to difuse.  A close friend of my dad's was Gil Almond, who lived in Beswick.

I would love to share photos, as I have many, including some of the Unit Band and the ceremony at Lancashire Quay in Salonika - the 110th rebuilt the Quay after it was bombed.

I would also like to hear from anyone who has information about Percy John Walton.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 November 09 11:04 GMT (UK) »
hi,,would love to exchange any info,,,,,it would be wierd if this was one of the photos of the band that you had. I now think my grandad was evacuated from one of the other ports such as Le Havre or St Nazaire.As the only reference to the 110th army troop i can find online,,refers to the building of a hospital in Le Havre. Ihave my grandads army service papers,,they gave me a rough idea of when and where he served,,It would be great if you dad was in the 110th also,,and we could compare times and dates and places. Regards,,Mike.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline LamBowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 November 09 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

What a brilliant photo!!!  Do you know where the photo was taken?  My guess would be somewhere in Ardwick.
No, my photos are very different and show the band in action (playing) in Salonika when Lancashire Quay was dedicated.  I also have some close ups of band members, possibly taken whilst waiting for the Regent to arrive. I will dig the photos out, scan them and put them on here for you and anyone else who has connections with the 110th.
Like you, I have found very little about the 110th apart from the reference to the hospital at Le Havre and to Lieutenant Walton on 'Manchester's Heros'.  I did find a more recent photo of the foundation stone at Lancashire Quay, which was possibly taken by a tourist and posted to the Internet, but the site disappeared.  The stone makes reference to the 110th.
I think it is highly likely your granddad was evacuated from St. Nazaire, as my dad gave me the impression he left France with the entire company.  He was certainly with his mate Gil Almond, because I have the telegram he sent my mam when he arrived back in England, asking her to let Gil's wife know he was safe.
Do you know when your granddad enlisted?  My dad's Attestation papers state 11th May 1939.  This is my dad's timeline and may be your granddad's too: Oct 1939 to June 1940 France (42nd Division and 46th Division); 1940 to 1942 in Scotland - training; 1942 to 1943 (1st Army) in North Africa; 1943 to 1943 - Invasion of Sicily (8th Army); 1943 to 1944 - Invasion of Italy (8th Army and the 5th Army); 1944 to 1945 - Liberation of Greece and Salonika - 4th Indian Dvision; 1945 - Occupation of Austria.  These are the ships my dad travelled on: - France - Viking, Tynwald, Mona Queen, Bruges, SS Fabia.  Africa - SS Norelge. Sicily - Stephen C. Foster. Italy - Forth Bank. Greece - Ben Mchree. Salonika - Cruiser Ajaz or Agax, Italy - landing craft Samas.  To England - Hitler's Yacht!!!

Best wishes
Elaine

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 November 09 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine..i have sent you a pm,,,,,i have no idea where the photo was taken..regards..Mike.

Offline lancer115

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 October 13 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
Really happy to have found this site, my dad didn't talk about his time in the army much but I did know where he,d served. This site has confirmed all that i knew. His name was George Forward and his mates were Harold Johnson, Cyril Potter and Norman Blampey - anyone who may have photos of the troop from that time, i would really appreciate copies if possible.

Many Thanks

Trevor

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 October 13 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi..I will dig out the few that I have of the 110th. I work nights...so might be a couple days before I get chance to have a look.

Offline lancer115

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 October 13 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Gortonboy,

Many thanks for the quick response but no rush i know what its like to work nights >:(