Author Topic: 110th army troop royal engineers,East Lancashire.  (Read 51778 times)

Offline LamBowes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 110th army troop royal engineers,East Lancashire.
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 02 May 15 08:46 BST (UK) »
The photos with the Unit band relaxing don't have anything written on them, so I have no idea of the date or place.

Offline LamBowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 02 May 15 08:48 BST (UK) »
The photos of the band playing in what looks like a small dance hall, don't have anything written on them, so again, I've no idea of the place or time.

Offline LamBowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 02 May 15 08:58 BST (UK) »
another photo - more to come.

Offline LamBowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 02 May 15 09:07 BST (UK) »
I'm getting to the end of the photos that are small enough to upload.  I'll have to work on reducing the others.  Also, I keep getting kicked out of this thread.  Very frustrating!

Offline LamBowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 02 May 15 09:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I've tried to upload a photo five times now and it keeps timing out.  Will try again on Monday and I'll shrink the others to below 500kb in the meantime.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 02 May 15 10:06 BST (UK) »
Great to see these. Although I did post one photo of the band, my grandad was never actually in it. But I'm still loving seeing these. Thank you for posting. Looking forward to seeing more.  ;)

MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LamBowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 02 May 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I must have got the wrong end of the stick. I have other photos., some with small groups of men. I can't currently see all the posts on this thread, is your grandad in any of the photos that are posted on here?  If so, can you identify him and I'll see if he is in any of these others.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 03 May 15 00:57 BST (UK) »
on page 2 of this thread,,,hes in the first photo...hes arrowed. Doesnt matter if grandad is not in your photos,,,i would still like to see any more you have of the 110th.  ;D

My Grandads on the back row right of this one.  :)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline safecontractor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 08 August 15 16:00 BST (UK) »
I'm staggered .. spent years trying to trace my father's army unit and found it today .. here !!

He was John Alfred Wood, known as Johnnie / Woody, and was a driver ... went with BEF to France, was at St Nazaire / Nantes and said he was evacuated from Dunkirk ... closed trains to Leeds .. then to Dundee and Dunoon ... posted in 1943/4 (?) to N. Africa ( Sousse ), then Italy .. photos in Salonika and assisting with Vesuvius eruption. Dad died here in 1989 at the age of 81. I often attended his re-union at the Belle Vue Hotel in Manchester in the late 80's and met his Captain, Gerrard, of the well known Swinton building company, Fram Gerrard, along with many others

Gorton Boy ... dad is 2 down from top, 2 from Left on your Nantes picture and 2nd from Left & second row up on your Dundee picture .... his mate, Alex Milne from Aberdeen, is 3rd from R & 2nd row up, in Nantes.

Have many, many pictures of that era of the 110th  and will post a few... if anyone wants more info, please contact me via Board or Direct.

This picture shows Dad driving in Nantes 1939 ... judging by uniforms they must be just arriving in France

Best wishes ...Topper

110th Royal Engineers ATC....WW2
Machine Gun Corps 40th Company Infantry. WW1
Cheshire Regiment 16th Battalion Bantams WW1