Author Topic: Crown & Thistle - Gatehouse of Fleet  (Read 16968 times)

Offline mckenzie20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crown & Thistle - Gatehouse of Fleet
« on: Tuesday 10 March 09 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone heard of the Crown and Thistle Inn/pub in Gatehouse of Fleet?
It was in Fleet Street in 1871 as my Great, great great Grand Father was the Innkeeper.

Regards,

Colin.

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
Re: Crown & Thistle - Gatehouse of Fleet
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 March 09 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Colin,
Don't despair if you're wondering why no reponse, you'll get one soon! Callywoods, who is from GOFleet and knows the buildings and history, is away basking in the sun  ::) I'm sure she'll find your post when she returns.
Callywoods' Cousin
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline mckenzie20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 March 09 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

I have found out that the Crown and Thistle was there in 1837/8 and the Innkeeper was James Murray, but as yet I cannot find a trace of it (apart from the census) in 1871.

David Brackenridge was the Innkeeper that year. He married Agnes Hanning in 1872 if that helps.

Thanks again for your response.

Kind Regards,

Colin.

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 March 09 16:19 GMT (UK) »
It helps a lot  ;D I personally don't know Gatehouse well, although I have visited, but Agnes Haining jumped out at me because Haining is a family name of Callywoods'. Her Margaret Haining, daughter of John Haining and Jane/Janet McAdam married James McMurray (with a Mc, but often recorded as Murray). I'll ask Callywoods to get onto it as soon as she gets home.
Megan
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 March 09 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say that Haining/Hanning is also interchangeable spelling.

Offline mckenzie20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.

Offline Callywoods

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I was interested to read that you have connections with the Crown and Thistle in Fleet Street.
I can tell you a bit about it.
In 1826 in Pigot's list (a local trade directory) one of 8 taverns listed in the town was the Scotch Crown run by James Murray
In 1837 among 16 innkeepers was the Crown and Thistle again run by James Murray
In 1852 the Crown and Thistle was not listed. This may have been because the landlord would not pay the charge for being included, as we know it was in existence in 1871.

I also found out a little about David Brackenridge.  He was a committee member of the local curling club and the AGM was held in the Crown and Thistle in 1864. I have found other info about David Brackonridge's sporting interests but looking at the dates some may refer to his son, another David?

Hope this is of interest.  Best wishes Mary
Kirkcudbrightshire : McMurray/ie, Haining, Hanning, McAdam, McClune.
Ayrshire: Livingstone
East Lothian: Anderson

Offline Clingan

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 March 09 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Having read entry about Agnes Haining I am hoping someone maybe able to help clear up a mystery.
I have an Agnes Haining born about 1723 and married to a Thomas Clingan in Barrhead. This couple appear inscribed on the back of my Gt Grandfather/mother's stone at KPD but no one in the family can provide any details and so far I have drawn a blank.
Anyone able to provide any info please. For starters I didn't know  Haining/Hanning were inter-changeable.
Regards
Ian Clingan
Clingan, Kirkpatrick Durham, Kirkcudbright, Dumfries-shire, Liverpool, Australia, New Zealand, Canada
Boak, Liverpool
Markham & Grover, Reading, Berks

Offline mckenzie20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 March 09 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the information. I know that David's Son William (my direct decendent) was born in 1865. His Brother David may be the sporting person that you refer to. I am intested in him also and would be pleased to be made aware of anything that he did.
I assume that the 'fate' of the Crown &  Thistle was that it was demolished as I think only the Ship Inn remains in Fleet Street. I will be in Gatehouse of Fleet next month and I will do some searching.
To complete the picture, David's Son William left for Springburn in Glasgow. Sadly he had a leg amputated due to an accident whilst working as a Railway signalman. His Son David was a highly intelligent person (I am biased) who was the Father of my Mother Catherine. It would have been my Mother's 80th Birthday today.
I cannot thank you enough for helping me with the search.
Regards,
Colin.