Author Topic: Crown & Thistle - Gatehouse of Fleet  (Read 16951 times)

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
Re: Crown & Thistle - Gatehouse of Fleet
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 March 09 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Having read entry about Agnes Haining I am hoping someone maybe able to help clear up a mystery.
I have an Agnes Haining born about 1723 and married to a Thomas Clingan in Barrhead. This couple appear inscribed on the back of my Gt Grandfather/mother's stone at KPD but no one in the family can provide any details and so far I have drawn a blank.
Anyone able to provide any info please. For starters I didn't know  Haining/Hanning were inter-changeable.
Regards
Ian Clingan

Can't help you with your Haining mystery, Ian, but can add to the comment I made about the spelling of the name.  The OPR's have sometimes recorded "our" Hannings as Haining, but later the spelling is usually Hanning. Since I know they are the same people being referred to, it is always useful to try the variations when searching for them  :)

Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Callywoods

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 March 09 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin
Glad you found the information useful.
You said that you thought the Crown and Thistle would have been demolished but I'm sure the building is still there. According to some local records it reverted to being a house and in 1921 a Mrs R McMillan was living there. Very little gets demolished in Gatehouse - its now a conservation area and many buildings are listed. I will try and find the exact building for you but it may be difficult. These taverns were no bigger than ordinary houses. The inns were bigger and more easily identified as they were hotels, not just drinking houses.
I will send you any other stuff I can find about the Brackenridges.
Cheers  Mary
Kirkcudbrightshire : McMurray/ie, Haining, Hanning, McAdam, McClune.
Ayrshire: Livingstone
East Lothian: Anderson

Offline mckenzie20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 March 09 08:58 GMT (UK) »
I am very grateful for the help that I am receiving.
Many thanks.
All of the information has proved to be very useful.

Best wishes,

Colin.

Offline Callywoods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 April 09 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin!

Good news!  I think the actual Crown and Thistle building has been found. I mentioned it to a local historian and he did some research.

The house is now 2 Bridge Terrace, the first house (quite a substantial one) over the brige, opposite the Ship Inn.

It wa built by James Murray about 1818. In 1833 he sold the property to William Henry and on his death in 1860 was bought by Mr Murray Stewart, a local landowner who owned it till 1896. During this time it would have been let to various tenants including Thomas Birtwhistle Tait, innkeeper and to David Brackenridge.

Best wishes Mary

Offline mckenzie20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 April 09 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

I do not know what to say. How can I thank you?
It means everything to me and my Family to know where my Great great Grand Father and his family lived.

I should have been in Gatehouse of Fleet with my W

Offline mckenzie20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 09:02 BST (UK) »
To the person asking about Agnes Haining (not Hanning). Agnes was the second Wife of David Brackenridge. Agnes died in Gatehouse on 23/07/1895.
A stone memorial was paid for by her Family and is in Girthon cemetery.

Offline annbuick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am new to Rootschat so excuse any imcompetence!  I am tracing my McMillan side of the family (grandmothers maternal line).

Jessie McMillan (great grandmother) was married in the Ship Inn, Gatehouse in 1908 to James Davidson.  Her mother was Margaret McMillan (nee Brown) and father was William McMillan (a sea captain).  She had 2 sisters Margaret and Agnes and a brother, Nicholas. 

I beleive their house is still there in Fleet Street.

Anyone with any information or recollations of the McMillans please get in touch.  We are particularly interested to know the name of my great great grandfathers ship which was lost at sea.  I promised my great aunt (who died 2 years ago) that I would try and find out.

Many thanks

Ann

Offline Solway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 February 10 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary.......I notice in you reply to Colin of 04, April, '09,  a reference to William Henry as an owner of the above premises and wonder if you may be able provide me with any background information on William?
Many thanks.....Bob.
Henry. Dalrymple. Ross. Rogerson. Bruty. Clark.

Offline Callywoods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 February 10 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Bob I'm afraid I don't have any information about William Henry, as far as I remember.

I expect you know that your Thomas Dalrymple is buried in Old Girthon churchyard.

Best wishes Mary