Author Topic: Softening of the brain - what does this mean?  (Read 38595 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Softening of the brain - what does this mean?
« on: Tuesday 10 March 09 13:16 GMT (UK) »
On the death certificate I have of one of my g.g.aunts who died aged 21, the cause of death is given as:

"Softening of the brain of 2 months duration"

Has anyone any idea what this means?  I've looked at the usual websites of archaic medical terms but can't find anything meaningful. 

If it is of any consequence, she gave birth to her second child on 23 January 1881 who died on 26 March 1881 from Bronchitis.  My g.g.aunt died on 7 June 1881 about 2 months after the death of her baby.  Although I imagine she was heartbroken at the death of her baby, she did also have a 3 year old son.  Tragically, he too died a couple of months after his mother from peritonitis.

Lizzie

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Softening of the brain - what does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The only reference I can find in archaic medical terms is "result of stroke or haemorrhage in the brain, resulting in a softening in that area"

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 13:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure someone with a bit of medical knowledge will be able to give you the definitive answer, but it seems that 'softening of the brain' covers brain haemorrhage, inflammation of the brain (could this be encephalitis?), and deterioration caused by malnutrition.

Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 14:34 GMT (UK) »
A localised softening of the brain substance, due to haemorrhage or inflammation. Apparently there were three varieties, distinguished by their colour and representing different stages of the morbid process, are known respectively as red, yellow, and white, softening. I also understand that softening of the brain was a sign of advanced syphilis.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 14:40 GMT (UK) »
There is quite a lot about softening of the brain at  http://www.rootschat.com/links/05sq/   

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Encephalitis is an interesting thought as in 1991, my daughter in law ended up in intensive care at about 8 days post natal with encephalitis and it was only because the drug Zovirax had recently become available as an intravenous drug, that she survived.  D.I.L is really skinny, but her face and head were so swollen that she was unrecognizable.

If it was encephalitis, and she swelled up like my D.I.L. then I guess they would call it softening of the brain.  Otherwise - how would they have known?  Did they do post mortems in 1881?

Stan - I doubt she had advanced syphilis at 21, especially as her husband was only 23 at the time himself.  Not only that, when he died 5 years later he died of Phthisis with no mention of Syphilis.  Also her father didn't die until 1904, so not a hereditary thing

Lizzie

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 16:14 GMT (UK) »
It's possible for a person to be born with syphilis, or any other STD, passed on from the mother.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_syphilis

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 22:36 GMT (UK) »
China - I haven't found her mother's death yet, but she was still alive on the 1901 census, so presumably she didn't have syphilis either.  I'm sure you couldn't live with it from at least 1860 when her daughter was born until after 1901, that's more than 40 years.

Lizzie

ps.  I'm not disputing that people did have syphilis, I had a g.uncle who died in an asylum from a syphilis related illness, I just don't think it was the case in this particular family.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 02:17 GMT (UK) »

I have a death cert (1866, aged 28) with this as COD as well. As he was a Mariner, presumed it could be related to malnutrition or any tropical disease picked up on travels. I think it is a pretty generic term with any brain swelling with unknown cause at this time in history.

Cheers,
trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)