« on: Wednesday 11 March 09 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Probus, Cornwall......All

James Yeoman b. 1745
Wife Mary Nankevil b. 1734
children:
Bennett b. 1769 children: Phillipa, James, Mary
James b. 1767 family ?
Phillip?/Phillipa? b. 1776 family?

Would like to expand information on Bennett's family as well as the others. Possibly more children of James.

lilbees

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: YEOMAN
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi lilbees,

I suspect this would be  James = Sarah CROWL 28 Mar 1791 St Stephen in Brannel.

They had several children in Probus

Mary 26 Dec 1791 aged 1
James 7 July 1793 - 13 Apr 1799
Elizabeth 4 Sep 1796
Thomas 28 Dec 1797
John 26 Jan 1799
James 13 July 1802 aged 1
Bennet 16 Apr 1809 aged 1

I don't see a baptism for Philippa. The only one I can see was the daughter of Peter Yeoman and Jane (Thomas)  1 Jan 1780 Probus. They married 4 Oct 1767 Ladock.

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I think you might be off a bit with James age.

It looks like James and Peter were possibly brothers

James YEOMAN bap 14 Jun 1731 St Erme to James and Cath
Peter YEOMAN 6 Jun 1729 St Erme
also
Ursula 22 Oct 1726
Kath 1 Nov 1733
Bennet 23 May 1736 (although Father listed as John)

James YEOMAN = Catherine RETALLICK 1 Jan 1725 Ladock

Cheers Kris  :)

Offline lilbees

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your assistance. Having a problem with it.

I do know Bennett b. 1769 married to Bathua Hotten m. 1810, (also see a reference to Temperance, possibly middle name for Bathua, 1841 census).

When Bennett's son James came to the US in 1846, he was accompanied by "brother" Phillip. Possibly a Phillipa? age 35, with James' wife Elizabeth (Pentecost) Yeoman and children. I picked up James as a brother since Bennett was a witness at his marriage to Susan Crowl.

On the Probus marriages there is a 2nd marriage listed for James Yeoman b. abt 1745 to a Mary Warwick m. 1825.

I know this is confusing without actual documentation. Without this forum I just didn't know where to apply for some of the documents (if available).

Working backward is, obviously, not easy.

Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated as to direction.

lilbees

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 22:10 GMT (UK) »
the James Yeoman who married Catherine Retallack didn't marry for a second time. He died in 1741 and I have a copy of his will!   ;D

I have Yeomans in Ladock and last time I was in the record office I made a copy of this will thinking he was related to my line. He left money to his 6 children, the 5 listed above and another son Simon and his aunt Dorothy. I think he was baptised 4/11/1701 son of James & Ursula (Allen) in Ladock. It's possible he had a sister Ursula who married Francis Retallack - this is 'my' line.

The parish records for Ladock aren't in the best condition and some pages are completely illegible. The opc has done a great job in transcribing the records, but there are gaps.

http://www.ladock.com/

This is why I've been gathering wills to try and work out relationships. I can find no baptism for one of my Huddy line in Ladock, but his father added his life to a lease and it is noted that he was 19 at the time. So, it can be a case of finding other documentation.

There's a lot of intermarrying between a few families and much naming of children after grandparents, so gets very confusing with repeated names.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline lilbees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I guess we are tracking 2 different Yeoman lines. Who knows, they may in fact be connected wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back.

I saw the family from Ladock but have not been able to tie into anyone. Similar names sometimes. But the names commonly used were typical for that time period.

Thank you again.

lilbees

Offline lilbees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to address Kris' posting.

Kris, I am looking at the James you suggested married to Sarah Crowl as James Sr's son. As I said earlier, the only reason I am assuming James is son of James is because of the witness at his wedding being Bennett (with 2 t's) Yeoman. And now in your list of children for James you have a Bennet (1 t) as the youngest child.

lilbees

Offline lilbees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Kris, forgot to add, the Hotten family tree I have access to also confirms the birthdate for Bennett and the marriage date with Bathsua. This is all I had for a reference until I located the Parish Clerks data to confirm.

lilbees

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi lilbees,

You mention Phillip/a coming to the USA so this is a different generation than the Philippa you mention in the initial post. This is Philippa Hotten YEOMAN 8 July 1811 Probus, sister to James 1 Apr 1813 Probus. I have examined the families entry to the US and the entry clearly states Phillip YEOMAN 35 female It is quite common with the Cornish to not use an a in this famale name, making it appear at times to be the male name Phillip.

If you already have copies of the parish records that is the only documentation there will be for these events. If not, when you have the dates you can purchase copies from the parish registers from the CRO if you desire.

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=38210

James baptism being after the forms arrive in 1813 will provide a little more information such as occupation of father and possibly a residence.

Although both Bathshua and Temperance are biblical in origin (Bathshua - daughter of opulence, Temperance -  moderation, restraint) I would not see these names as being interchangeable,(as to a middle name, but with the names being so different in meaning I would not think it terribly likely they would be used together. Are sure it is the same person? I note Bennett and Temperance  are of similar age in 1841, presumably both deceased by 1851. (If standard rule was applied Bathshua should list as aged 65)

Cheers Kris  :)