Author Topic: Convent in Bartestree  (Read 26547 times)

Offline Cornish Dave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Convent in Bartestree
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 June 16 21:23 BST (UK) »
I visited Bartestree Convent before all the posters here in 1961/62. I had a girlfriend there at that time and was allowed to visit for tea, initially for tea on a Saturday and then when I moved away on Sunday afternoons as well. The sister in charge of the girls at that time was Sister Mary Magdalene seems like she might have been promoted in later years, do nuns get promoted?

I was a Boy Entrant at the nearby RAF camp and when I graduated my girlfriend and I eventually drifted apart. Sadly whilst investigating my past on the web I discovered she had died many years ago at an early age which I was very sad to discover.

If anybody spots this site who was around at this time, please contact me.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 June 16 21:46 BST (UK) »
Yes,  I suppose that Nuns do get promoted.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Linda Johnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 September 16 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,     I have just discovered this chat site and I am thrilled to have found it. I too was at Bartestree Convent in the mid to late 60s.  My name was Linda Watson, but I was called Pat ( My middle name) because there was already a Linda when I arrived.......Linda McDonald.   The girls I remember were Diane, Marcia, Margaret, Jane, Karen, Mercie? but at the moment I cant remember any others.
        You may be suprised to know that I am still in touch with Mother Magdalen and have been for years now, in fact myself and my husband are taking her to Bartestree Convent tomorrow ( 6th Sept) to visit another nun, Regina (who I dont know).   Mother now lives in *(place removed), I live near Portsmouth.  Shes now 90's and in good health and is still such a lovely person, I too cant believe my luck at being sent to the Convent I owe her so much. In fact when I was 17 I was no longer a ward of court and was sent home. only to run away again back to the Convent.   Mother was distraught as she could not accept me back, and after a few days found me a place in a working girls hostel in Leominster, she took me there in the car with some of the girls and we all cried when they left me there.   I only stayed a few weeks and my parents came and took me back home.

I remember Miss Griffiths and the dance classes, if we had danced well we were allowed to go to the pictures in the town that week!. If we were old enough we were allowed 3 cigarettes a day that were eaked out after mealtimes by Mother, we used to beg the other girls who had jobs in the town for more as they were allowed to buy extras. The laundry we worked in was so hot in the summer and the nylon overalls certainly didn't help, my first job outside the convent was for a green grocer in the town called Powells.    Sunday were the days we would look forward to as our boyfriends were allowed to come for tea, and when it was time for them to go Mother would give us 10 minutes downstairs to say goodbye, we all thought they were the best 10 minutes!!         

I really hope someone will reply to me and we could go down memory lane together.......after all, they were some of the best years of our lives!!   

Offline Cornish Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 September 16 18:58 BST (UK) »
Linda that is totally amazing! My name is Dave Hill and I was a boy entrant at RAF Hereford in 1961/62. For most of this time I dated a girl called Peta Armitage she did change her surname she used to Armstrong Jones in 1961. I was originally allowed to go for tea on a Saturday, after I was posted away I visited Peta staying in a B & B in Hereford. Because of this I was allowed then to go to Bartestree on Sunday afternoon as well. Sister Mary as she was, was a wonderful woman, I am not religious but I have never forgotten her! Very sadly I have discovered my ex died in 1989 from cancer aged 43, not sure if Sister Mary would remember her. She will not remember me but please give her my best wishes and tell what a smashing person a young 16/17 year old thought she was!

Regards

Dave

Offline Linda Johnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 September 16 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,   thank you so much for your post, it was wonderful to hear from someone who had quite a connection with the convent and knowing Mother. Peta was unfortunately just before my time, it must have been a shock to you though of hearing of her passing.     I too had a boyfriend who was in the RAF, he was posted to Aden, I only remember his first name, which was Jeff.  Being so young then we just drifted apart and I never saw him again after his posting.
       As I mentioned in my post I'm seeing Mother tomorrow, I will certainly tell her of Peta and yourself, and believe me she will remember you.........her memory is still very clear, I will give her your best regards.
       I dont know if your familiar with why the nuns had to leave the convent. Apparently the bank foreclosed on the convent and although they fought hard to keep it they couldn't find a backer, even though the story hit the nationals. Someone came foward and said they would donate a million pounds, but sadly it never materialized.  At this time, Mother was already Mother Superior so all the worry and stress fell on her and by her own admission , she went grey overnight.  All the nuns were eventually dispersed along with all the old ladies who lived and worked there.Very sad for all of them, most had been there since the war and were now to be parted.
Mother was sent to Waterlooville  Hants which is where I met up with her again about 25 years ago.
       I will let you know what she has to say about Peta and yourself after seeing her tomorrow.
Kind regards,
Lynn.

Offline Cornish Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 September 16 21:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Linda. I have made contact with PETA's daughters, I am sure they would be delighted if Mother remembered her. I did not know all that information about the convent! I have a couple of stories I remember about Mother Mary, I am on holiday and using my tablet when I get home on my PC l will tell you about them.

Offline Cornish Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 11 September 16 22:27 BST (UK) »
Lynn

Where have you gone? I have been waiting with baited breath to see if Mother had remembered my old flame Peta but you have vanished!
Hope to hear from you soon!

Dave

Offline Linda Johnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 September 16 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave, so sorry I didn't get back to you, but the very next day my brother and his wife arrived from Falmouth and stayed with us until yesterday. Never-the-less, the day spent with Mother was lovely. She was visiting a friend, Regina (who I thought was a nun, but in fact was a very good friend of Mothers) and lived a five minute drive from the Convent.
           Mike and I went into town for the day and when we collected her we drove to the Convent and walked around remembering all sorts of memories.
           You'll be very pleased to hear that she certainly does remember Peta, she had heard of her passing, but didn't know from what. She also knew of the two daughters, and wait for it.........she remembered you!     She also told me that if you ever wanted to contact her she would love to receive a letter from you, which I think would be a lovely connection for the girls.
Her address is;    Sister Magdalen C,
                         **Address removed by Moderator
          I'm sure she can fill any gaps that you may have.  Oh, by the way, I got her age wrong! I  mentioned that I told you she was now 93, she soon corrected me.......she's 91.
          Hope your holiday went well, and sorry again about the delay in getting back to you.      Just a thought, it may be worth asking Mother if she has any photos of Peta. She gave me a couple a few years ago of myself and the girls who were with me at the time, it was great to receive them,  I was only about 15/16 and I didn't have any photo's of myself of that age.
          Hopefully you'll let me know the outcome of contacting Mother.
All the very best, Lynn.

Offline Cornish Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 September 16 10:24 BST (UK) »
Lyn

Just a quick reply as I am still on holiday this week. I am astounded at her memory I can only remember one other girl. Thank you for your reply I will drop her a line when I get home and give you my memories of her as well. Would be interesting if she had a photo of Peta I struggle to recall her face, her daughter's would be thrilled I am sure! I will keep in touch and let you know.

Dave