Author Topic: Convent in Bartestree  (Read 26543 times)

Offline Cornish Dave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Convent in Bartestree
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 18 September 16 20:13 BST (UK) »
Lynn

I have sent you a personal message with my memories of Sister Mary Magdalene, if you do not get it please let me know, although it says it was sent successfully.

Dave

Offline Cornish Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 29 September 16 21:40 BST (UK) »
Lynn, just to let you know I have received a letter from Sister Mary Magdalene C and have sent you another personal message.

Offline Ledlad

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 16 October 16 17:30 BST (UK) »
I am fascinated about the stories of the convent in Bartestree.
I knew Sister Immaculate, as she then was, as she was in hospital with my mother. To cut a VERY long story short I kept in touch with her for decades. I last knew of her in Birmingham.
As a youngster I regularly visited Bartestree convent to see her and the other sisters. I remember helping to feed the chickens and always went to see the ladies in the home and meet some of the younger ladies too!  I was in awe of the convent!  It was huge and I used to ask how they knew their way around!  I was about 7 years old when I first visited so in the mid 60s.
I also remember visiting a convent in Lancashire.
Sister Immaculate became Sister Maura.
I remember Sister Magdalen. I first met her when she was visiting the hospital where my mother was and later seeing her at the convent. My sister and I were also taken ill and my mother was told that Sister Magdalen was praying for us.

Offline Cornish Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 16 October 16 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ledlad

Nice to hear from you and your memories of Bartestree. As you will have read on this thread I was visiting Bartestree a few years before you, the last time I visited was in January 1963. You will also have seen from correspondence that Lynn and I exchanged that Sister Mary Magdalen is still alive. I am quite worried about Lynn she seems to have disappeared and is not answering my personal messages to her, I hope she is OK.

You will also have seen that I have written to Sister Mary who replied to me three weeks ago, I have now sent her another letter. She remembered my old girlfriend and myself from all those years ago and sent me an old leaflet to look at about Bartestree which included photos of my ex. Given that it was when I was a teenager when we were together you may not be surprised to hear seeing her photo was a very bittersweet moment for me, you see the photo will have been taken when we were going out together. It was so long ago but seeing her happy and smiling made me happy and sad at the same time given that she passed away 27 years ago.!

Now Ledlad this will be of interest to you, one of the nun's pictured in the leaflet is a Sister Maura! I have copies of this leaflet on my PC so if you would like me to send you a copy I am more than happy to do so. In addition if you let me have your name and anything else you think relevant I will pass this on to Sister Mary when I am next in contact. I did promise that I would send her a Christmas card so at the latest I can send her your details then. By the way Sister Mary was in charge of the girls when I visited, she later became Mother Superior. If you do not know I guess she will know if Sister Maura is still alive and if so where she is.

I am sending you a personal message in which you can let me have your name etc and if you would like a copy of the leaflet let me have your e-mail address and I will send it to you. You can of course do this here but it will be safer in a personal message.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Dave

Offline Cornish Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Lynn

I have sent you an urgent personal message.

Dave

Offline Nance Clark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 31 December 16 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Im trying to find out any details of an aunt of mine who was brought up at Bartestree convent as a child and later went onto to work there in the laundry till the convent closed.  Her name was Lilly Cummings she is 94 years old now , any one remmeber her ?

Offline Cornish Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 31 December 16 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Nance

I may be able to find out something for you can you pm  me and let me know what you are trying to discover, I assume you are trying to remind your Aunt of her time there. If you do not know how to pm me just say so in reply to this message and I will pm you from which you should be able to reply. I would not put any details here as this an open forum which anybody can read. If you read earlier posts you will see that I went out with a girl from Bartestree in 61/62, your Aunt may have been there then but I would not have known her. I can only use normal post in trying to find answers for you so it will take a little time.

Dave

Offline Nance Clark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 31 December 16 20:34 GMT (UK) »
uote author=Cornish Dave link=topic=367405.msg6134177#msg6134177 date=1483213389]
Nance

I may be able to find out something for you can you pm  me and let me know what you are trying to discover, I assume you are trying to remind your Aunt of her time there. If you do not know how to pm me just say so in reply to this message and I will pm you from which you should be able to reply. I would not put any details here as this an open forum which anybody can read. If you read earlier posts you will see that I went out with a girl from Bartestree in 61/62, your Aunt may have been there then but I would not have known her. I can only use normal post in trying to find answers for you so it will take a little time.

Thank you for replying, to be honest Im not sure what I want to know .  My aunt died this week and i was going to previously try and find out details from her about her life at Bartestree convent I hadnt seen her in a lot of years but I never made it in time to see her before she died.  Mostly i wanted to know if she had a happy life at the convent .

Dave
[/quote]

Offline Cornish Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 31 December 16 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Have sent you a pm Nance, I will see what I can find out for you.