Author Topic: Convent in Bartestree  (Read 26443 times)

Offline francella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Convent in Bartestree
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 February 14 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  So glad to hear from you Rainey.  I had forgotten about Sister Francis.  The other Nun must have been after I left.  Mother Magdalen was Mother Superior when I was there too.  When I knew her she used to dye her fringe red!  I also once picked up Mother Immaculate and swung her round and her veil came off but she forgave me.  I worked in the laundry, first on the big rollers doing sheets and pillow cases, then got promoted to shirts!  Eventuall I got a job in Hereford whilst still at the Convent.  My favourite old lady was called Imelda but I think she probably passed away before your time.  I also remember Cora who worked in the kitchens.  There were 2 dogs Popsie and Curie I think.  When I first went I was very angry and determined to be a pain.  Mother Magdalen gave me the job of walking the dogs to calm me down and it worked.  When I left I shared a flat with another girl from there.  I would love to hear from anyone else who was there.

Offline Marci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Francella

Just found this site.  I was at Bartestree Convent from 1966 - 1967 when Mother Magdalen was running the girls' side.  Also worked in the laundry until I had my appendix out then took over the cooking and when fully recovered went to the farm bit to help Sister Monica (I think) with the chickens.

Still return to Hereford as often as possible but sad to see the convent turned into "apartments".

Offline francella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcia, How lovely to hear from you.  I think I must have just missed you!  I went in 1968, best thing that ever happened to me.  Mother Immaculate must have been there and maybe Mother Madgela before she died.  There must have been some girlds there that we both knew.  I remember a Shirley who left just after I arrived, Jackie whose name was really Ann, another Anne, Mary and I am sure many more.  Do keep in touch if you want as we remember more! Francella

Offline Marci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Francella

The girls I remember being there when I left in July 1967 were Pat (who was really Lynne), Karen (from Cornwall), Jane (Birmingham), Sandra (Worcester), Carol and Maria.  There must have been others but senility is kicking in.  I remember Imelda, Gabby, Gerry and Mary from the old ladies although I think Mary was the youngest by several years and was probably about 40, ancient of course when one is 17.  Mother Immaculate was lovely and I believe became Reverend Mother at some point.  Was Mother Therese still there when you were?  for some reason I never liked her.  Went back for weekends a couple of times early in '68.  Had some wonderful times there - happy memories.

Marci

Offline francella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 May 14 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcie,

None of those names ring a bell but I will try to think of more.  Did Miss Griffiths give country dancing lessons then, how embarrasing was that.  Were you allowed to go to dances at Creden Hill.  I think Mother Theresa was there but never had much to do with her.  Sister Bernadette was nice.  Imelda (Skinny as I called her ) was my favourite and she came out for a day with my Mum and I in a car!!  I too went back for visits.  I was there when the  men landed on the moon.  I will try to think of other girls, there must have been some overlap.  Maxine possibly?  Cora was in the kitchen and the two dogs were Popsie and Curie I think.

Offline lincolth25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone who lived at Bartestree convent on August 1st 1975 remember the Minibus accident where 1 nun and a girl died. I am Theresa who lived at the convent in Northfield Birmingham. who was involved in that accident, when I came out of hospital I stayed the night at Bartestree convent before being moved to Waterlooville convent near Portsmouth the next day.I just about remember how kind those girls were to me.

I had just paid Bartestree a visit after 40 years and oh how everything has changed,  the Nun's have gone and been gone for sometime as Waterlooville is in the middle of the same transformation, my wonderful Nun's have gone.

I would dearly love to hear from any one from barestree at that time or anyone who remembers the accident. Next year on August the 1st it will be 40 years since the accident and I never got a chance to say thank you to the ambulance crews and fire crews who attended the accident they saved my life that day. Never saw their faces

I know I might not get a reply but its worth a long short. Thank you for reading this anyway

Offline francella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 November 14 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Theresa,  I was at Bartestree 1969 -1971.  I wonder when you were there.  Didn't know about the crash.  Which of the Nuns were killed.  I loved being there, best thing that ever happened to me!

Offline lincolth25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 November 14 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Francella, oh it's really good to hear from you didn't think I would get a reply from anyone. I was there in 1975 round about the 7th or 8th of August 1975 for one night only but had payed a visit to Bartestree convent one sunday afternoon with the Nun's and rest of the girls.

I was living in the convent at Northfield in Birmingham  before the accident, I can't spell the Nun's name who was in charge of us so please for give my spelling on her name. Sister Rosesio was in charge of us girls and Sister Enda was her assistant. There was only six of us girls with the Nun's at the time but the night before the accident two had run away for what ever reason, so that just left four of us girls setting of to Hollyhead to catch the ferry to go to Ireland via Hereford with our two lovely Nun's. The other three girls name's were Sharon' Audrey and Mary, Mary had only been with us for two weeks and Sharon was like a big sister to me.

On the afternoon of the 1st of August 1975 we left Northfield, Sister Enda was drving and Sister Rosesio was sitting in the front seat, I was asleep laying on the three seater seat behind the driver seat, Mary was sitting in the single seat near the side door and Sharon and Audrey were sitting in the back two seater seat by the back doors of the mini bus. I remember it was such a hot day too, the next bit of the story is only what I have been told as I said earlier I was asleep.
Sister Enda passed out over the while driving somewhere along the Hereford road to Hollyhead, I was told that the Mini bus came off the road and just round over a few times crushing the mini bus into a sardine can. Mary was killed out right and Sister Rosesio die on the way to Hereford General. Sharon and Audrey suffered cuts and brusie's along with Sister Enda and I was unconscious for six days.
When I came round, after a couple of days I was discharge fro hospital into he care of Sister Prepetua and Sister Josiephine and was taken to Bartestree convent for the night before being moved to waterlooville convent the next day where I spent another three wonderful years of my life.

To this day I am still in contact with Sister Charlotte, like you Francella it too was the best thing that ever happen to me. I have been lucky enough to have all the Nun's in my life as over the years I have got to know them all from different convents, they have become my family. I went back to work for them for five years before moving to Cornwall.

I do hope to hear from you or anyone from the convents again

Theresa x

Offline NicolaG

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 February 15 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  My name is Nicola Goodwin and I am doing some research into Bartestree Convent in the 1940s through to the 1970s. I would love to hear from anybody who lived or stayed there during that time.  I can be contacted at nicola.goodwin@bbc.co.uk  Best Wishes, Nicola