Author Topic: queagans of fivealley/birr  (Read 31312 times)

Offline mickeyq

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
queagans of fivealley/birr
« on: Thursday 12 March 09 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Greetings,
I hope somebody may be able to help me in my search for my family.
I was adopted by an english family when just a little nipper!And have never been back to Ireland since.The only information I have is my mothers name was Queagan and she might have come from a place called 5alley near a place called Birr and she may have come from a very large family possibly more than18 children.
Hope somebody can help?
Sincerely,
Micheal wainwright

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: queagans of fivealley/birr
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 March 09 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. This isn't really a forum for tracing living people but there are some suggestions on living people and adoption in the help pages which might help:
www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php#living
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,142443.0.html
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,261434.0.html

Moderator's Note: if anyone can help Michael with details of his family please do so by PM (Personal Message) rather than posting online- remember that Michael will need at least 3 posts before being able to use PM system. Thank you
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mickeyq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 March 09 13:20 GMT (UK) »
as far as i know, they all should be dead by now as i am 87 years of age myself. as i cannot travel back due to ill health it would be nice to have a bit of closure and if i could find out anything it would be fantastic
regards, Michael

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 March 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Your inital post gave no indication of date but it would probably be best for information on living or recently deceased relatives to be sent by PM.
Meanwhile, had a look at index to Irish civil registrations and nothing comes up for Queagan anywhere. Also tried LDS site (www.familysearch.org) and again no results. Wonder if there could be an alternate spelling that records are listed under?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mickeyq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 March 09 15:37 GMT (UK) »
im not too sure of the spelling myself but it could be queegan or quagan. once again, thank you for your time

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 March 09 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Quegans telephone number in Birr is 057 9133128

Offline mickeyq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 March 09 15:59 GMT (UK) »
o thank you thank you thank you. i didnt even think they'd still be alive. your a gem

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 March 09 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Micheal,  you will find Quegan is an Offaly surname,there are a few of them listed in Griffith's Valuation,eg there are 3 list for Clonoghill upper Birr,also when hunting out Fiveally try looking at  Eglish too. Will keep my eyes open for any leads /info  if I come up with anything will send you a pm or if you have any leads that's not to be posted on notice board do feel free to send me a pm & I will try my best to help you out, good luck Micheal regards Nipy

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 March 09 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Glad to help. Also for your consideration, from the book 'The Offaly war Dead'; to be published later this year;
QUEGAN, JOHN.  Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Australian Infantry.  Unit; 11th Battalion. Date of Death:06-August-1915. Service No:2009. Killed in Action. Age at Death;26. Supplementary information; Son of William and Mary Quegan, of Kinnitty, King's Co., Ireland.
Data from enlistment documents;-
What is your name?….John Quegan.
In or near what Town or Parish were you born?……..In the parish of..In or near the Town of Kinnitty in the county of Kings County, Ireland.
Are you a natural born British subject or a Naturalised British subject…Yes.
What is your age?…24 years.
What is your trade or calling?……..Labourer.
Are you or have you been an apprentice. If so to whom and for what period? Yes, Harnessmaker.
Are you married?……..No.
Who is your next of kin? (address to be stated). Father, William Quegan. Kinnitty, Kings County.
Have you ever been convicted by a civil power? No.
Age…..24 years…3 months.
Height……5 Ft….4 Ins.
Weight…140 lbs.
Chest measurment….34 Ins.
Complexion………Dark.
Eyes……..Brown.
Hair………Brown.
Distinctive marks…….Large mark over left collar bone, 3 inch by 1 inch. A small scar on left side of skin. Mark on left side of neck due to burn.
Date…18-February-1918.
Place….Kalgoorlie.
 Records;-Went out with the 5th Reinforcements (11th Battalion) on 8-February-1915. Embarked at Freemantle on H.M.A.T. A20 “ Hororata” 26-April-1916. While on board H.M.H.S. GASCON he became ill. He disembarked in Alexandria and was admitted to hospital in Lemnos. Was detained in the Barracks Isolation Hospital and disharged to duty 7 days later. Re-admitted to hospital from the 1st Australian Casualty Clearing Station and admitted again to hospital. Rejoined his unit (11th Battalion) on 31-July-1916 in the Dardinelles and was wounded in action two weeks later with a bullet wound to the stomach, taken to the 1st Australian Casualty Clearing Station, admitted to Hospital, transferred from the hospital to a H.M.H.S. SICILIA hospital ship where he died at 8, 20pm from;-‘ Gun shot wound penetrating abdomen. He was buried at sea by Chaplain E Teele. His pension of 20 shillings per fortnight was awarded to his father William Quegan in Kinnitty from 26-June-1917.
 Grave or Memorial Reference: 34. Memorial: Lone Pine Memorial in Turkey.