Author Topic: Janet Murray-Blackburn  (Read 3590 times)

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Janet Murray-Blackburn
« on: Friday 13 March 09 01:34 GMT (UK) »
My paternal grandfather's sister was Janet Whiteford Murray. Janet was known as Nettie and was born 21/06/1896 in East Benhar. Nettie lived most of her life in Blackburn, West Lothian. She married William Aitken, and as a result of not being sure of the spelling of his last name, I'm unable to find his family members.
Janet (Nettie's) parents were Peter Murray and Christina Walker.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Regards, A.
Featherstonhaugh; Doran; Murray; Gray

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Murray-Blackburn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 March 09 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi A

Their marriage can easily be found at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

The earliest they could have married was when she was 16 so I searched from 1912 - 1933. William Ai*k*n (to take care of various spellings of his surname and Janet Murray. There is only one record to be found. :)

I then spelled his name Aitken and still only one record to be found. Limited the county to West Lothian. Still only one record. Selected Blackburn as a parish. Still only one record to be found.

I then narrowed the years down bit by bit and the year turns out to be 1920.

His parents names should be shown on the marrriage certificate

Best wishes
Jean

Offline mr-aitch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 March 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Jean and A.

That's a good reply, Jean and an excellent example of how to use the search facilties on SP without spending credits.

However, I'd like to be permitted to point out an inaccuracy in your reply although it doesn't affect the outcome of your search.  Until 1928 the minimum legal ages for marriage in Scotland were 12 years old for women and 14 years old for men.  In 1929 the ages were raised to 16 years for both men and women.  So, technically, Janet could have married in 1908 but, as I said, stretching the search back to then makes no difference to the outcome.

Good hunting.

Tom

Offline kirkmichael

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 March 09 15:58 GMT (UK) »
The easiest way to do the narrowing down is to split the time period into two equal parts, and search one.  If that's successful split again and so on.

If the first split search is unsuccessful then you know that the event is in the other half..............................

Wullie

Offline mr-aitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 March 09 22:33 GMT (UK) »
The easiest way to do the narrowing down is to split the time period into two equal parts, and search one.  If that's successful split again and so on.

If the first split search is unsuccessful then you know that the event is in the other half..............................

Wullie

Yep, Wullie - known to us mathematicians as "a binary chop".  It's a useful technique but, strangely, not one I can recall reading in any of the numerous Family Tree books I've got.

Cheers,

Tom

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 March 09 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Jean,
Thank you ever so much for your help and sharing your search techniques. My apologies for being so tardy in checking your response earlier. I always thought to access scotlandspeople I'd have to pay and use credits.
Thanks again. Alison
Featherstonhaugh; Doran; Murray; Gray