Author Topic: Lacey of Wicklow  (Read 46412 times)

Offline Woody1uk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lacey of Wicklow
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 July 10 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi sgtrel
At the moment none of those really ring any bells.  My Lacey's were Peter and Mary all in Arklow, Wicklow Irealand.
They had a number of children Bridget being one of them (She is my Great Grandmother) but I am afraid I can't say I have come across any called William.
Where were your Lacey's born?
Thank you

Offline vistagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
new to this site,
i have a Mathew Lacey b1864 in my family tree he married Mary ?, his son Thomas b1885 married my Grandaunt Margaret Canavan b1890 married 1908 they lived in Avoca CoWicklow,
Paul

Offline etep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 00:31 BST (UK) »
The WALL family migrated from Dunlavin, Wicklow to work for a while in Dublin and then emigrated to the Capital of Ireland to set up home 'OTB' (over the bridge) which was an Irish enclave close to the docks were, most all of the Irishmen found work.

As kids we ran the horse betting slips from family tables to the back street bookies and, in our case the instructions were pretty clear and that was to deliver the bets and cash to Lacey's. I forget the street name but it was the next one down (south) from Lemon Street which is off Stanley Road, if I recall correctly it was a stones throw from Saint Alophonsus Church. 

Anyhow there was a large Lacey family living in this home and as they were close friends of the WALL family chances are they left Co. Wicklow around same time.  The Lacey I delivered the betting slips to all those years since was probably born around 1900.

pete

Offline Woody1uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,
Just found your post now as I didn't get the email to tell me someone had replied to one of my posts.
This sounds like one of mine, Mathew Lacey could well have been my Grandmothers brother. He married a Mary and Canavan was a name I came across often in my research of my own Lacey connections. Arklow and Avoca Co Wicklow also.
I would have to have a good look through my documents as its a long time since I did anything on the family tree, but I am sure this is  a connection.
Woody

Offline Woody1uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 09:44 BST (UK) »
The WALL family migrated from Dunlavin, Wicklow to work for a while in Dublin and then emigrated to the Capital of Ireland to set up home 'OTB' (over the bridge) which was an Irish enclave close to the docks were, most all of the Irishmen found work.

As kids we ran the horse betting slips from family tables to the back street bookies and, in our case the instructions were pretty clear and that was to deliver the bets and cash to Lacey's. I forget the street name but it was the next one down (south) from Lemon Street which is off Stanley Road, if I recall correctly it was a stones throw from Saint Alophonsus Church. 

Anyhow there was a large Lacey family living in this home and as they were close friends of the WALL family chances are they left Co. Wicklow around same time.  The Lacey I delivered the betting slips to all those years since was probably born around 1900.

pete

Hi Pete.......this definitely sounds like one of mine.....the betting slips and a large family :-) 
I only know they lived in a place called Johnstown, inch, Arklow when I found them.  Any of that relavent to what you mentioned above? I don't know Ireland at all unfortunately.
Woody

Offline vistagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Woody,
Mathew married Mary there children were :-
Thomas as stated before married my grandaunt Margaret Canavan,
Denis Lacey 1891
John Lacey 1897
Charles Lacey 1900
Anastasia Lacey 1906
James Lacey 1909
Hope these help some where down the line,
Paul

Offline Woody1uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul
I have replied in your private messages.
(Woody)

Offline redhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 September 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
We have a Margaret Lacy (Lacey) married to one Patrick Hughs, both from Wicklow...married about 1836?  Had daughter Susan baptized Roman Catholic..Oct 14, 1837  son Thomas, baptized 01 Jan, 1840...son Patrick, baptized15 April 1842...daughter Elizabeth, baptized 10 April, 1844.  A Stephen Lacey was one of the children's sponsor...and they had a son they named Stephen, after they immigrated to Canada.  Does this fit any of your family?

Offline EllenS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 13 October 11 22:52 BST (UK) »
Jeanette
My great great grandmother was Bridget Lacey, born Wicklow 1837, daughter of Patrick Lacey and Esther Byrne. I have no other details of her birth.
She emigrated to South Australia in c1852 aged 15 and worked as a domestic servant. She married William Byrne in Adelaide in 1856.
A witness to the marriage was Mary Anne Lacey, presumed sister of Bridget.
No other Lacey relatives, including parents, have been traced in Australia.
Bridget died in Western Australia in 1910.