Author Topic: Lacey of Wicklow  (Read 46485 times)

Offline kayt60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lacey of Wicklow
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 10 October 15 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
Patrick Lacey/Leesy and Esther Byrne are my ggg grandparetnts. I have just today found a baptism record for their 3rd child Mary Anne, that pinpoints them as living in Lara, near Glendalough in 1842. The original record can be sighted on the National Library of Ireland site.
I too am seeking info on the parents of Patrick and Esther but am at a brick wall. I was hoping to find a marriage record for them that might list their parents but so far no luck!

Offline Treacy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 05:12 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Bridget's sister Winifred Lacey, Bridget , parents Patrick and Esther and four siblings arrived in Adelaide 4 Jan 1854 aboard the David Malcolm.
Except for Bridget the entire family came to Victoria and spent the rest of their lives here.
A fellow researcher recently found the baptism for two of Bridget's siblings, they were baptised in Glendalough, Wicklow.
I have quite a bit of information concerning this family if you are interested.
Regards,
Treacy

Offline kayt60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 05:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Treacy, any information will be welcome. As I said in my earlier reply/post I have the baptisms for Bridget's younger siblings, Mary Anne and Felix in Glendalough. In fact I was in Glendalough just a few weeks ago but did not have this information then, pity!
 I am keen to find baptisms for the other children, Winifred, Bridget and Hugh.
Also want to find the marriage record for Patrick and Esther (Byrne) Lacey in Wicklow, although I am now suspecting they may have lived elsewhere before Glendalough- perhaps the older children were born/baptised elsewhere.There are some Lacey/Leesy people near Aughrim (Rathdrum parish).
I have the BYRNE connection on both sides and am keen to also find out if Esther Byrne is related to my other Byrne side.
While Bridget married William Byrne here in Adelaide they went across to WA where they are buried.
Keep in touch. Kay

Offline petexxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 25 September 16 16:42 BST (UK) »
Looks like your family made it to the big time for as a 7 year old in Liverpool i was the family runner in delivering betting slips from The Dairy in Walton road to Lacey the bookie on Lemon Street off Stanley Road.  No. 80 Lemon Street was for many years home to many of the Wall family who emigrated from Dunlavin and started off @ Liverpool's 26 Athol Street before moving to Lemon Street. I can't recall the Laceys house number but it was only a few doors down from ours and that would make it on the North side of Heriot Street - Lacey's and Walls were I believe neighbors in Athol Street before this.

pete 

Offline MAD87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 29 October 16 15:37 BST (UK) »
I have a number of Lacy/Lacey/Leesy/Leecey records for Glendalough, Killaveney, Lara, Hacketstown etc.
Easier to email if you're interested in having anything (*)
 I also have other info collected over the years in the hope that I might match up some bodies!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Downes - Cheshire, Warwickshire, Lincolnshire, Sussex, Middlesex,
Downes - Dublin, Laois, Kildare
(de) Lacy - Wicklow, Wexford
Quigley - Kildare, Laois
O'Leary - Clare, Ballsbridge

Offline MAD87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 29 October 16 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Treacy, any information will be welcome. As I said in my earlier reply/post I have the baptisms for Bridget's younger siblings, Mary Anne and Felix in Glendalough. In fact I was in Glendalough just a few weeks ago but did not have this information then, pity!
 I am keen to find baptisms for the other children, Winifred, Bridget and Hugh.
Also want to find the marriage record for Patrick and Esther (Byrne) Lacey in Wicklow, although I am now suspecting they may have lived elsewhere before Glendalough- perhaps the older children were born/baptised elsewhere.There are some Lacey/Leesy people near Aughrim (Rathdrum parish).
I have the BYRNE connection on both sides and am keen to also find out if Esther Byrne is related to my other Byrne side.
While Bridget married William Byrne here in Adelaide they went across to WA where they are buried.
Keep in touch. Kay
Hi Kay, I'd be interested in sharing info - I have a Hugh Leesy baptised in Glendalough on 07/09/1939, son of Patt L. & Bridget Byrne. Sponsors Leonard & Mary Nash.
Best, Mad 
Quigley - Kildare, Laois

Offline MAD87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 29 October 16 16:03 BST (UK) »
The WALL family migrated from Dunlavin, Wicklow to work for a while in Dublin and then emigrated to the Capital of Ireland to set up home 'OTB' (over the bridge) which was an Irish enclave close to the docks were, most all of the Irishmen found work.

As kids we ran the horse betting slips from family tables to the back street bookies and, in our case the instructions were pretty clear and that was to deliver the bets and cash to Lacey's. I forget the street name but it was the next one down (south) from Lemon Street which is off Stanley Road, if I recall correctly it was a stones throw from Saint Alophonsus Church. 

Anyhow there was a large Lacey family living in this home and as they were close friends of the WALL family chances are they left Co. Wicklow around same time.  The Lacey I delivered the betting slips to all those years since was probably born around 1900.

pete

Hi Pete.......this definitely sounds like one of mine.....the betting slips and a large family :-) 
I only know they lived in a place called Johnstown, inch, Arklow when I found them.  Any of that relavent to what you mentioned above? I don't know Ireland at all unfortunately.
Woody
Woody, I must have seen this post before, but its significance has only just hit me - Inch...
When my g-grandmother (Jane née Lacy) died in 1880 leaving 6 young children, at least one of them was sent to "an aunt in Inch, whose husband was the station master". That's all the info we have, related by the child concerned (b.1878, d.1957).
We've searched endlessly to find this "aunt", so far without success. Might she be one of yours?
Best, Mad
Quigley - Kildare, Laois

Offline petexxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 29 October 16 17:10 BST (UK) »
As to mention of Arklow - there's still Wall family Arklow.

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 09 July 17 00:38 BST (UK) »
I've traced my Dublin Lacys to a marriage between William Lac(e)y and Esther Hall in Arklow in 1832. Known children: Charles (born Arklow), then Maria, Felix, Esther and Jane, some of whom were born in Dublin - Ballsbridge area (1840s-1860). There's almost certainly a John in this generation (DNA match) but we haven't proven the link yet. Esther Lacy née Hall is buried in Glasnevin with Lacys called Charles and Marianne Lacy of Mount Merrion, William Lacy of Sandwith St and a probably unrelated Joseph Byrne.  After Maria married, she has a Teresa Lacy living with her born Wicklow (though workhouse records for the same person sometimes say Wexford) who is a "relative".

Does this family link to any Wicklow ones?
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire