Author Topic: where is or was Hag field?  (Read 8940 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: where is or was Hag field?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 November 13 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen these old photos of Charlestown (1930s)? probably how it would have looked when your grandfather left. Scroll down a bit to see interior view of Catholic Church and don't forget to check out the other pages of photos.
http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/Mayo/Towns/Charl/archive01.htm

Photo Archive 4- St. James' Church mentioned

Found this information (looks like the original query might have come from you?)- which also gives the church as St. James'. See here
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline trishwalters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 November 13 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the link to the photos.  So great to see how it looked when my grandfather left.  Yes; that post about the Catholic church in Charlestown was from me pmw148.  I am quite certain now that my uncle was mistaken calling it St. Michaels.  I'll be sure to visit St. James next week.  We are going to Charlestown/ Hagfield / Kilkelly on Monday.  I have a feeling that the poster 'yellabelly' is a cousin of mine since he/she appeared to be looking for the same family.

Looking forward to leaving for Ireland in five days!
Tricia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 November 13 21:14 GMT (UK) »
BRING WARM CLOTHING - it's gotten quite cold here!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline trishwalters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 November 13 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip; we'll be sure to pack our hats and mittens!  Too bad because the weather looked like it was pretty nice last week.

We have a very packed Monday planned.  Heading from Adare to Galway.  Dropping my kids there for the day, heading to Charlestown.  St. James then Heritage Center.  From there thinking Hagfield, Temple Graveyard and Bushfield Graveyard.  I've discovered family are buried in both.  Stopping in Kilkelly since I just found a 1911 census which shows my grandfather's family lived there at that time (he was still in Hagfield w his grandfather).  Then to Galway to pick up the kids and back to our home base in Adare.  Whew!  Glad someone else is doing the driving ;D

If I print out the census from 1901 and 1911 showing their residence in Hagfield, do you think someone at the Heritage Center would be able to point us in the right direction as far as where in Hagfield they could have lived?  It's asking a lot!