Author Topic: Beech Family from Seabridge  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Beech Family from Seabridge
« on: Sunday 15 March 09 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I am looking for some help and guidance for what to do next please.

From Parish Registers (I think on IGI) I know that 4 x great grandfather, James Beech born c1760 and christened on 8th June 1760 in Newcastle under Lyme, had a father called James who was a Blacksmith from Seabridge, but how do I find out any more?

What would the church have been called & where could it have been located? Any local history available about Blacksmiths in Seabridge? I guess James had a mother, but no idea of her name!

When I do a Google search for information about Seabridge all I find are houses for sale - there must be something else!!!!

All help and suggestions gratefully received.
Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Beech Family from Seabridge
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 March 09 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Patsy, GENUKI may have something on Seabridge in their Staffs section.

You should be able on that web site to find out the name of the local Church of England but maybe the family were non conformists.
  Where did you get the baptism info from?

charlotte

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 March 09 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Charlotte,

Thank you for your reply, and suggestion of GenUKI.

The information about James Beech does come from the IGI, and another family member, who now lives in Milwaukee, sent me the additional bit about the occupation of Blacksmith. I think he must have viewed the microfiche of the parish register.

Children born to James (without the aid of a wife!) were:-

James - baptised 8th June 1760
Elizabeth - baptised 26th February 1764
Richard - baptised 27th July 1768
Thomas - baptised 13th April 1772
Mary - baptised 1st May 1775

All of these baptisms took place in Newcastle-under-Lyme.

I am planning a visit to the Staffordshire Records Office at the end of this month, and hope to also visit Trentham where son James (a blacksmith like his father) & wife Elizabeth moved to. I also hope to see the memorial tiles in Trentham church which give the details that James died 15th December 1840 & Elizabeth died 1st January 1851. It would be very nice if I could also locate the church in Seabridge / Newcastle-under-Lyme where James was baptised.

Do you think if the memorial tiles are in Trentham Church then James & Elizabeth were buried in that churchyard?

Thank you for your interest and help.
Best Wishes,
Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline WAY1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Patsy,
I hope that by now you have found more on James Beech the blacksmith. If you have I would appreciate a few more details,especially if any of the info below makes sense.

I am trying to link a James Beech to my relative Samuel Large, also a blacksmith in Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire but from 1763.  A James Beech is listed as a "smith" in a Trades Directory for the town in 1793. That info kindly came from Beryl Carter, Volunteer Archivist Brampton Museum, Newcastle-under-Lyme.

I am also following up a James Beech possibly associated with a village about 6 miles west of Nul called Balterley. Someone on Genes Reunited has a James Beech being born there in 1737. My Samuel LARGE was in Balterley in the mid to late 1750s before moving to NuL so there is a possible link. He was born in 1741 but in Sandbach over the border in Cheshire.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers,
Derek

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 19:13 BST (UK) »
James Beech of the Parish of Stoke, Blacksmith, married Mary Brammer also of the Parish of Stoke by Banns 26 January 1760 at Whitmore St Mary and All Saints according to familysearch.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 April 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
Burial Newcastle st Giles
James Beech  of Newcastle 12.4.1815 age 85

Possible baptism at Newchapel st James 30.1.1731 to Thomas and Sarah Beech.
or at Biddulph to James and Elizabeth 6.6.1731

James Beech blacksmith of Newcastle under Lyme takes on apprentice Josiah Birks in 1799
The same year there is a shop for sale in Old Pinfold on behalf of a James Beech 23.3.1799 Staffordshire Advertiser.

Ciderdrinker