Author Topic: Norton Family  (Read 2569 times)

Offline timmies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norton Family
« on: Monday 16 March 09 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for info on a William norton born abt 1819 in england came to Canada. In 1852 married a Martha Arnott may 21 1852 had a son William Arnott Norton 1853. I found a Wm norton 1851 census aged 32 as a yeoman but cant find him any where else 1861 the son was living with grandparent on mother side. I also found a Wm Norton on passagers list June 1847 on the graham boat. I also found  in the directory for 1847 at 22 st. Mary's place as a cabinet maker but don't know if it's the Wm Norton I'm looking for. would any one be able to help me find more info on this William norton.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Norton Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 March 09 22:36 GMT (UK) »
There is a death for William Arnott Norton June 8, 1932 Cobalt, Ontario.  Age 79.  Born Newmarket, Ont. with father William (b. Scotland) and mother Mary Arnott (b. Newcastle, Ont).  Informant was daughter T. Olive Mitchell.

Is this your William and are we therefore searching the Newmarket, Ontario area for traces of his father?  Your information is that the father was born England and this persons father shows a birthplace of Scotland.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 March 09 22:51 GMT (UK) »
http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/search.php
William Norton and Mary Norton both in Halton County Trafalgar Township.

Trafalgar Township is where William Arnott Norton b. 1853 Newcastle married Louisa v. McLean in 1875.  Do you think there's a connection

Debbie

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Trafalgar Township is where William Arnott Norton b. 1853 Newcastle married Louisa v. McLean in 1875.  Do you think there's a connection

The marriage registration indicates that William Arnott Norton was the son of William Norton and Martha Arnott. Louisa McLean was the daughter of William McLean and Martha Pettigrew.

Timmies, do you know the names of William Senior's parents?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline timmies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 11:21 GMT (UK) »
William Arnott Norton and Louisa McLean and T Olive is there daughter that is the family I'm looking for. Williams father came from England and Martha Arnott came Scotland. I dont know the parents of William sr but know he was born in England thats why I'm wondering about the Wm Norton that came accross on the Graham boat and in the directory as a cabinet marker at 22 st.Mary's place Southampton is the same William I'm looking for. I also know that Wm Norton was a yeoman in 1851 census in Clarke Township Durham County Ontario Canada.

Offline timmies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 01:50 BST (UK) »
I was looking for a william norton born about 1819 in England but come to find out that he was born in Scotland he married Martha Arnott they had a child William arnott Norton born in Canada. I would like to find info on the father william's parents if any one could help

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 July 18 04:32 BST (UK) »
There is a death for William Arnott Norton June 8, 1932 Cobalt, Ontario.  Age 79.  Born Newmarket, Ont. with father William (b. Scotland) and mother Mary Arnott (b. Newcastle, Ont).  Informant was daughter T. Olive Mitchell.

Is this your William and are we therefore searching the Newmarket, Ontario area for traces of his father?  Your information is that the father was born England and this persons father shows a birthplace of Scotland.

Debbie

Obituary for William Arnott Norton in the Globe and Mail newspaper on 13 Jun 1932, page 10.  It says from Cobalt, Ontario on June 12....  William Arnott Norton died at his home on Cobalt Street.  It says he was a resident of northern Ontario for 22 years - most of that time in Elk Lake.  He had been in failing health for some time and had been confined to his home for 6 months.  He was born in Newcastle, Ontario 79 years ago, was of Scottish descent and had been a farmer in his earlier years.  For some years, he lived near Chatham, then moved to Toronto. He came north to Elk Lake in 1910.    Two year ago, he came to Cobalt.  He is survived by his widow (she isn't named in the obituary), his son Harold, of Elk Lake, and his daughter Mrs Mitchell, wife of George Mitchell K.C. of Cobalt.   (K C means Kings Counsel... he would have been a lawyer). 

RK

Offline timmies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 July 18 19:20 BST (UK) »
Yes that is my Norton family but I can't find anything on the father william Norton born in Scotland? I would really like to find info on the william Norton ( father).
Thank you for any help

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hello. Following on the info in your other current thread....

I think there is a possibility that Martha/Mary may have died before 1859. This might explain why William's son is with his grandparents in the 1861 census.

I have found the following possible remarriage for William....

William Norton 38 b. England Parents James and Rebecca (matches parents from other thread)
Catherine Johnston 22 Parents Robert and John
09 Nov 1859
Manvers Township in Northumberland and Durham County Ontario

He appears to be a bit liberal with his age but his wife is much younger.

Anyway, food for thought.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada