Author Topic: John Gerald Fitzmaurice - born France  (Read 5795 times)

Offline KittoFitz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
John Gerald Fitzmaurice - born France
« on: Wednesday 18 March 09 09:47 GMT (UK) »
I believe John Gerald Fitzmaurice was born in Chateau Carre, Vosges, France on 21 July 1837.  I would like to find out if this is correct and, if so, obtain a Birth Certificate so that I can verify the name of his father, who was also I think, John Fitzmaurice.  I also need to check out the details of his brothers and sisters.

Any help you can give would be gratefully received !

Thanks
Kitto, Fitzmaurice, Compton, Margetson

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Gerald Fitzmaurice - born France
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Vosges is the department, but I can't work out where Château Carré would be. It may refer to a certain house/estate. You need to work out which commune this would have been in as that will be where the birth registration is, if he was entered into the French records.

What was his occupation and the occupation of his father?

Did he marry Florence Augusta M. Boyrenson from India? If so, in 1871 she is living with what appears to be John's sister, Gertrude Fitzmaurice, 29, b. Swinton Yorkshire.  Meanwhile, John is a visitor in Nottingham, 33, b. Nancy, France (visiting the Swan family).

In 1861 there is this family:

RG9/777 70/136
Drayton Green Lane, Ealing, Middlesex
Jno Fitzmaurice, 66, Col Half Pay, b. Ireland
Frances Maria, 57,b. Barnbro Yorks
Emma, 34, daughter b. Doncaster
Geraldine, 29, daughter b. Malta
Gertrude, 19, daughter b. Swinton
Agnes M Clyde, niece, 35, widowed, b. Ireland
Margaret F M Clyde, grandniece, 15, b. Van Diemens Land
John Gray Clyd ,grandnephew, 13, b. Van Diemens Land
(+ servants)

(By 1871 Frances, Emma, and "Gertrude" b. Malta == Geraldine? are living together at Drayton Green and it seems John has passed away)

1841 census:
HO 107/1325/12 folio 26 page 23
Silkston, Yorkshire
Henry Watkins, 65, clerk
Frances, 60
Emma, 20
Frances Fitz Maurice, 35
Maria, 15
Emma, 14
Elizabeth, 9 (birth "Foreign")
Henry, 7
John, 3 (birth "Foreign").

As there seems to be a possible army link, I would first look at the GRO's overseas records (regimental indexes and army chaplain indexes) to see if there was an army birth registered for him. Also, the family seem to have been well enough off that there may be newspaper records of them.

There may be a book about this man (the father) - Biographical sketch of Major General John FitzMaurice, K.H, written by Gerald Fitzmaurice in 1908.  Also he may be the one listed in A History of the Peninsular War (I can only get tiny snippets on Google Books) It would be worth tracking copies of these books down.

I did look on the Departmental Archives of http://www.archives.cg54.fr/ for Meurthe-et-Moselle (where Nancy is), but it seems their online services requires payment. As there is some confusion about where exactly John was born (and I cannot find him in 1861 and do not have access to the 1851, so can't help there unfortunately), I would look for UK sources to confirm the exact birthplace before trying to tackle French records-- especially as I'm not sure that his family would have bothered to register him with the French authorities if they were only temporarily residing in the area.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KittoFitz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all your information - excellent detective work !  Yes, there is a book about Major General John Fitzmaurice and we have a copy !!  I now need to work out exactly who is who and sort out all their relatives.  So many John's !!

Thank you for the census information - I will follow all your leads.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Now I'm back at a computer that has access to The Times:

The Times, Thursday, Jun 09, 1859; pg. 12; Issue 23328; col E
 - there's a mention of John G Fitzmaurice graduating from University College, Oxford.

The Times, Thursday, Jul 22, 1869; pg. 1; Issue 26496; col A
John Gerald Fitzmaurice, of the Inner Temple, barrister at law, son of the late Major-General John Fitzgerald, K.H., of Drayton Green, Middlesex, to Florence Augusta Marian, only daughter of the late Thomas Adolphus Boyrenson, and granddaughter of the late Francis Swinsen, Esq, of Lapley, Stafford.
(married 15 July, at St. Michael and All Angels, Paddington, by Rev Frederick Watkins, uncle of the groom).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 22:33 GMT (UK) »
From Oxford University Alumni 1715-1886

FITZMAURICE John Gerald, 2s John, of Nancy, France, arm UNIVERSITY COLL., matric 7 May 1856, aged 18, BA 1860, bar-at-law Inner Temple 1866, inspector of schools 1874. See also Foster's Our Noble and Gentle Families

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KittoFitz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 March 09 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Eysee and Jorose - I have a lot more to go on now.  I was confused about the Boyrenson and Watkins connection and might be able to work things out now.   We have just been given John Gerald Fitzmaurice's 'travelling box' with lots of photos etc. so it has started us off on the family history trail again !

Offline David36

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 April 09 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

John Gerald Fitzmaurice was my Great Great Grandfather.

Interested to see any photos or  information anyone  may have on him.

Just been reading a book written by John about his father Major General John Fitzmaurice.

Offline Janet Jarvey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 21:36 BST (UK) »
Freddy, the book you refer to, the biographical sketch of General Fitzmaurice by his son dated 1908, can you tell me if it gives General Fitzmaurice's date of death?  I have a date 24 December 1865 but I can't be sure. 

I can find no trace of the sketch myself, clearly it's rare. 

Thanks Freddy.

Janet

Offline KittoFitz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 14:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, you are correct.  He died on Christmas Eve in 1865.  He is buried in Perivale Churchyard.

There are probably very few copies of the book but it is an interesting read, with description of The Peninsular War etc.

This is what Gerald says about his father's, Major General John Fitzmaurice, death which starts with the death of Gerald's brother :

"My brother's death took place in 1865 at Landour. I was abroad at the time but hurried back to England on hearing the news.  My father, mother and sisters were at Retford.  I arrived there too late to see my father that night.  He came to me while I was dressing next morning.  He kissed me (my father and I always kissed) and looking very broken said "I shan't be long after him".  This was in September and shortly afterwards we returned home, where he pursued with a fair amount of strength his usual home avocations and his official duties at St James's Palace which at that time of the year were light.  Three days bekfore his death he was at work in the garden.  Then he took to bed and gradually passed away.  He did not seem to suffer except from great weariness. He was quite conscious to the last.  On Christmas Eve we saw he was going fast.  We were all with him.  His room was near the Drawing Room and the doors being set open my sisters played and sang several hymns which lthey knew he loved.  How they could manage to sing without uncontrollably breaking down has ever been my wonder; a man cannot perhaps conceive the strength of a woman's love.

The last words I heard him utter, shortly before the last quick breath were from his much loved Tommy Moore "When shall Heaven its sweet bell ringing summon my soul to the fields above?"

Our Fitzmaurices came from (I am led to believe) the 5th Lord of Kerry.