Author Topic: John Gerald Fitzmaurice - born France  (Read 5787 times)

Offline Janet Jarvey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Gerald Fitzmaurice - born France
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 19:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Freddy, what a lovely story, and what a handsome man.  I am interested in General John Fitzmaurice's link to Co Kerry in connection with a website I am in the process of launching, at present something of an experiment, but I like the idea and hope it catches on.  I was hoping to post an obituary to General John Fitzmaurice, as I have a photograph of him in his later years, but sadly there appears to be no mention in the local Kerry papers.  It seems I need to hunt further afield for such information.  If you want to take a look at the site, click the tab 'obituaries' on www.irelandrock.com and if you can help with an obituary, please do!  Thanks for the reply.

Janet

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 October 10 16:32 BST (UK) »
Morning Post 7 August 1875
Fitzmaurice - on 1st inst. at Gledhow Lodge, Yorkshire, the wife of John Gerald Fitzmaurice Esq., of a daughter.
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline Euphrasia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Major General John Fitzmaurice and John Gerald Fitzmaurice - born France
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everybody,
My grandmother Julia Stack was born in Duagh House, near Listowel, Co. Kerry, the birthplace of Major General John Fitzmaurice.   Duagh House is also referred to locally as Springmount House, Duagh.   The Stacks and the Fitzmaurices are closely related for centuries.  An account of how the young John travelled from Duagh to Cork City and then onto Lisbon is recounted in John Gerald's biography of his father;
 "He landed at Lisbon and was met by his cousin, George Stack of the 24th Regiment. It was George who arranged for John to be taken to Wellington’s HQ at Cartaxo. On arrival he presented Wellington with his letter of introduction and was invited to join him at dinner. After dinner Wellington asked him which regiment he wanted to be attached to, to which FitzMaurice replied, “The Green Jackets, they see a good deal of the enemy”. “By God they do and you shall join them” was Wellington’s reply".
The Fitzmaurices were the Premier Barons of Ireland.   There were two challenges by The Barons of Slane (Flemings) to this honour, but the Fitzmaurices were confirmed twice as the Premier Barons.   
Thomas Moore, the author of numerous popular ballads, father came from near Duagh, though Thomas Moore was born in Dublin.   The ballads are The Ministral Boy, The Last Rose of Summer, are particularly well known.   It is no coincidence that Thomas Moore's very important patron, was the Marquis of Landsdowne (Fitzmaurice, Lords of Kerry and Lixnaw). Tommy Moore was a very frequent visitor to Bowood, Carne Wiltshire.   It is touching indeed that among John Fitzmaurice's last thoughts on his deathbed were of his fellow Kerryman's music.
Ardfert Cathedral is an ancestral burial place of the Fitzmaurices as is Springmount cemetery, Duagh.   
Duagh House was demolished in 1966 but sketches still exist of the dwelling house (see houses of Kerry).   North Kerry is the place to visit for anyone interested in their Fitzmaurice heritage, in particular Listowel Castle, Beale Castle, Ardfert Cathedral, Springmount Cemetery and Ballybunion Beach.   The Fitzmaurices are also closely connected to The MacCarthy Mor, of Muckross Estate and Muckross Abbey, another incredibly beautiful place to visit.   
The Petty Fitzmaurice family still have an estate at Dereen, Kenmare, Co. Kerry.

Offline KittoFitz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 13:52 BST (UK) »
It is now 2021 and I don't recall seeing your message of 2017 !!

I am very interested to hear of the Stack/Fitzmauice connections.  Does Duagh House still remain?  You obviously have a copy of John Gerald's book about his father Major General John Fitzmaurice.  I wonder, in fact, how many copies there are printed ?

I would like any further information if you have it.

Many thanks.

Susan Fitzmaurice
Kitto, Fitzmaurice, Compton, Margetson

Offline Euphrasia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan,
Please read The Fall of the Fitzmaurice by Kay Caball.
The Fall of the Fitzmaurices, tells the true story of the demise of the Fitzmaurice family, who had been powerful Lords of Kerry, since the year 1235. By 1818, after over five hundred years as Kerry’s premier family, through a combination of extravagance, irresponsibility, and feckless living, their titles and estates were no more.

A potent story of power, wealth, land, money, and sex among the Irish aristocracy in the 18th century.

This is a very well historically research account of the last of the noble house of the Fitzmaurices, of Lixnaw Court, Lords of Kerry and Lixnaw.   Please also see historical accounts of Peirce Mahony of Kilmorna, Duagh, known as the Kerry Downton Abbey.  These books will give you an indication of the society in North Kerry at the time.   

It may also interest you to know, that Lord Horatio Kitchener was born near Duagh/Ballylongford, and spent his childhood near Lixnaw and Listowel.

ISBN: 9781527273146  -  a fascinating look at the life of the Fitzmaurices from Lixnaw Court, Duagh, and Listowel Castle.   

Where are you based Susan?  what is your relationship to the Fitzmaurices of Duagh House?

Duagh House was demolished in 1966 /1967.   The avenue beech and oak trees may still be seen.   There are plans to create a walk/cycle route through very scenic countryside, which will pass by the land of Duagh (Springmount) House.
Kerry Historical Society (Chairman Jimmy Deenihan) hosts excellent lectures on North Kerry.