Author Topic: Soldier in the Blackwatch  (Read 8166 times)

Offline Antdamm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Soldier in the Blackwatch
« on: Thursday 19 March 09 12:04 GMT (UK) »
I may have already posted this on here, so apologies.

I am looking for ANY information on a relative called William Murphy Born 1893 in Glasgow. He got married in November 1914 in Glasgow. On his marriage certificate his profession is stated as - Private B Corp,  3rd Battalion - Blackwatch. Special Reserves. His residence is also listed as Nigg, Ross shire which is where the Blackwatch's training camp was. I know that this is the reserve forces and they went to Curragh, Ireland in 1914, but thats it.

I have tried searching on ancestry.co.uk and found an enlistment record/pension record that I thought was his, but after being in contact with an archivist from the blackwatch he assures me it is not. So there's no record of him on ancestry. I tried the nationalarchives and got some medal cards but I dont know if they are his or not. The archivist said to look for regiment numbers starting with 3/, but I havent been able to find any.
Dundee:
Byrne, Cooney, Clark, Wilson, Milne, McCormack, Wynn, Taylor, Morrison, Traynor, Stewart, Kilmartin, Hays, Cheape, Hosie, Carr, Stormont.

Ireland: Devanah, Byrne, Traynor, Carr, Canon.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier in the Blackwatch
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 March 09 15:16 GMT (UK) »
The 'Corp' will be Coy meaning Company.

If he was in the Special Reserve before the start of WW1 there could be a separate set of papers for him in WO96 in Kew. You need his regiment to search these, which you have - Black Watch or Royal Highlanders. If you cannot get to Kew, Findmypast will be putting them on line by 2011.

If you search the NA medal index card site there is one with a 3/ prefix. You need to use the Royal Highlanders as the Corps - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp? - and press search

You could now search Ancestry for other Royal Highlanders with numbers beginning 3/ to see when they enlsted. You need one either side of 2324.

Didn't see the attachment - just read that you could not find any.

Ken

Offline Antdamm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 March 09 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info KM.

Much appreciated
Dundee:
Byrne, Cooney, Clark, Wilson, Milne, McCormack, Wynn, Taylor, Morrison, Traynor, Stewart, Kilmartin, Hays, Cheape, Hosie, Carr, Stormont.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 March 09 08:37 GMT (UK) »
The 'entry into theatre' date of December 1914 I think shows he would have pre-WW1 experience.

Ken

Offline Antdamm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 March 09 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Okay, im having no luck on ancestry. Maybe because im not sure exactly what to look for. If i try to search for royal highlanders, its coming up with nothing. If i search for william murphy, it only comes up with info i already have that is probably not connected to me.

Ken, are you suggesting that one of the medal cards i have belongs to My William Murphy?
Dundee:

Offline Antdamm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 March 09 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Okay have managed to get ancestry to work for me. Have a massive list of folk associated with the words royal highlanders. Could be a while. They dont always put the 3/.
Dundee:

Offline Antdamm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 March 09 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Have found a John Webster who's number is 3/2325
Dundee:

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 March 09 17:53 GMT (UK) »
The most likely William Murphy appears to be this one:

Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 March 09 19:25 GMT (UK) »
He is top left in your six. At least now you have it in colour. It looks as if he changed battalions in the RH and was then transferred to the Labour Corps.

Here is the NA link to MICs - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp. Let us know if you have any problems. If you can get to Kew the Victory/BWM roll might tell you which second RH battalion he was in. Or you might find a RH expert to say if you can tell from the number 30275 which battalion he moved to.

Ken