Author Topic: Williams - Missing in Middlesbrough, 1901 and later  (Read 14305 times)

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Williams - Missing in Middlesbrough, 1901 and later
« on: Friday 20 March 09 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Fisrtly I apologise to anyone who has read about my Williams' saga already!  If thats you (Jane!) stop now, 'cos they'll do you head in even more!

As everyone I was thrilled to find the North Riding now online for 1911, I assumed it'd answer all my prayers..... Yeah right!!!

Basically I have a family as follows

1891 census
William Williams (born at some point in history in some part of Wales...) lodging in the same house as future wife Jane Thomas (born 1872, Witton Park, Durham)

November 28th 1891 Jane and William marry in Middlesbrough Register Office.  Both are residing at 50 Wood Street, Grangetown.

On 24th October 1892 daughter number 1 arrives, Margaret Williams, born at 41 Stapylton St, Grangetown.

Then on May 30th 1894 daughter number 2, Martha Jane (aka Pattie) Williams arrives.  Address as above.

Then at somepoint in 1895 daughter number 3, Rachel Wiliams is born.

On October 20th 1895, dad, William Williams died at the same address aged 32 of TB.

The 1901 census comes and goes, only Margaret is to be found living with her aunt (Jane's sister) Charlotte Steel and family.  No sign of Jane, Martha or Rachel.

On July 8th 1902 Jane died of a Cerebral Haemorrhage, aged 28, at the Union Workhouse.  Another sister, Elizabeth Ann Hewitt is in attendance.

Roll on the 1911 - Martha is living with Aunt Elizabeth Ann Hewitt and family - no sign of Rachel or Margaret.

Fast forward to the 1920's - Margaret marries Edward Hubbard, Rachel married Patrick Donaghy and Martha emigrates to the US.

Please can anyone shed some light on the missing 1901 and 1911 links?

I would LOVE to know where they are.

I've chesked Jane's other siblings and cannot find Rachel or Margaret with any of them on the 1901 or 1911.  None are in the workhouse in 1901.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Legs
xxxx

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Annie Isabelle Bollands nee Rice
    • View Profile
Re: Williams - Missing in Middlesbrough, 1901 and 1911
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 09 21:08 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

When I had my email yesterday to inform me that 1911 for North Yorks was available I did think of you and William Williams

Good luck with it hun, I am loosing the will with one of mine at the mo

Take care

Jane :D

LEICESTERSHIRE & MIDDLESBROUGH - BOLLANDS, GORE,
LINCOLNSHIRE - BAKEWELL, MARRIOTT
MONAGHAN & CRAMLINGTON - RICE
LAZENBY - HANSOM, HARRISON, NODDINGS, EASBY
BARNBY DUN - HARVEY, BLANCHARD
DANBY & WHITBY  - JEFFELS
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BEDALE & MIDDLESBROUGH - STEPHENSON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
MIDDLESBROUGH - WARD,FOSTER
PINCHINTHORPE -  POSTGATE
BILSDALE- BOYES

Cenusu informations is from crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uK

Offline Merrywidow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Alllegs - only joined this site yesterday and your plea hit me between the eyes.  I am of course searching my family tree. Grandfather - William (Henry) Williams, born Monmothshire, Wales in  1881.  died Grangetown 1960 (Birchington Avenue)  Married Sara Ann Maltby. Guess where they lived for a while - Wood Street in Grangetown.  Now this is where its gets scary.  He and his wife moved to 46 Stapylton Street and my father William (Thomas) Williams was born there in 1909.

Co-incidence or what? Unfortunately all the seniors in the family are now dead and when I started on this search I didnt even know my Grandfathers Christian names.  I was only 19 when he died and 21 when Gran followed him two years later. My father died age 83 in 1991 in Skelton.  His family were very much Grangetown people all their lives.  They married into the Garbutt, Grant, Garton and Pearson families.  All Grangetown families.

I have not been concentrating on the Williams side of my family for very long but I have discovered that most of the million William Williams clan originated from Monmothshire, and graduated first to Stockton and then to Grangetown to work in Doman Long.

My father moved to London after leaving the Green Howards and joined the Police Force.  He met and married my Mum in 1939.  I was born in 1940 and my brother Howard (Bill) Williams and I were evacuated to Grangetown to live with my Aunt for the duration of the War.  When he left the Police in 1959 we moved to Redcar and he had another career in ICI Wilton.  I was odd woman out, I met and married a Dutchman and lived for 25 years in Holland.  Am now back in England and living in Tunbridge Wells. My mother is 96 and is in a nursing home in Tunbridge Wells but she is a bit ga-ga now and can't remember much about Dad's family.

What I find fascinating about this tale is that our families MUST have been friends with each other, they only lived a few doors away in Stapylton Street.  I don't know how long they lived there but I have a postcard that Dad sent to his parents when he was 18 and in the Green Howards in China and it was sent to Teesport.

Right now I have to trace Grandad back to Wales - I know his Father was Evan and Mother Mary. Both born 1840. They lived at 93 Vickers Street in Eston in 1891 but I have to try and go back further.  Trouble is everyone is called William or Evan Williams.

Would love to hear your history. Cheers. Janet

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Janet,

What a huge conicidence....  I'm very intreigued now!

Funny to that you now live down south as I do too - near Worthing.

I'm on my Easter hols the week after next, we should meet for coffee and compare notes.  I'm away the 1st week but free most of the second week.

PM me if you fancy.

Legs
xxxx
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
WL-Williams

Offline Merrywidow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 March 09 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Legs

Sounds a great idea.  Are you a school teacher? Get in touch a bit nearer the time and we can firm up a date and place.  Will give me time to do some more digging.  Can't for the life of me find out what number Wood Street they lived.  I visited them there when I was 12.  Will try my cousins in the North but they are a lot younger than me so they probably won't be much use. cheers Janet

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 March 09 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Excellent. 

I don't know what number my lot lived at on Wood Street either.  I visited a year or 2 ago - Wood and Stapylton no longer exist unfortunatly.

Yes, I am a teacher!

Legs
xxxx
WL-Williams

Offline Merrywidow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 March 09 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Legs

Just spent the last few hours trying to untangle your problem.  Who are your direct decendents?  Are you interested in William Williams family?   think I might have pinpointed him to a birth in Freforest, Glamorgan in 1863 from the 1881 census.  Do you have the marriage certificate for him and Jane.  The name of his father would help.  Had no luck with your other problems.  Early days yet.  Having said that there are a million William Williams's.  Lucky mine had middle names.  What websites do you use.  I have a yearly sub with Ancestry and they are great.  Havn't delved into 1911 yet, was waiting for the North Riding.

Luckily I inherited thru an Uncle on my mother's side the discharge papers of my Great Great Great Grandfather from the Royal Marines in 1867, so that was a great place to start. He was born in 1826. So of course I might have to go to Bristol to sort out his parents etc.

Shame that Wood Street and Stapylton Street have gone, but honestly they were the pits.  Gran and Grandad had a front parlour, back room with open fire and a lean too kitchen with a lean to toilet attached to that.  No bathroom. Just two bedrooms upstairs.  I guess in those days they were glad to have a home.  I can remember how everybody greeted everybody else as they went about their business.  I can remember my brother and I waiting in anticipation on a Friday night for a chap to come home tanked up with Meths, he used to prance half clothed all over the street much to the delight of us kids.

If you can give me a few more hints I will dig further into your brick wall.  Cheers Janet

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 March 09 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Wow, you have been busy.

I am VERY interested in William Williams family.  I have no hard facts prior the 1891 census.  I am descended from Jane and Williams 1st daughter, Margaret, she married Edward Hubbard and had 3 children, the youngest being my gran.

I do have Jane and Williams marriage cert.  They married in Middlesbrough Register Office on November 28th 1891.  William was 25 years old, a bachelor and an Iron Worker.  His father was James Williams a general labourer.  Witnesses were Thomas Lewis and William Jackson - I have no idea who they are.

I have sorted Jane's family.  Coincidently her mother Rachel Thomas nee Edwards goes on to marry a James Williams after Jane's father died in an accident at the Iron works.

Incidently having dug out the marriage certificate I have noticed that they lived at 50 Wood Street.

Thanks

Legs
xxxx
WL-Williams

Offline Merrywidow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Williams - Missing in Middlesbrough, 1901 and later
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 March 09 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Legs - this is getting exciting. Thanks for info - the William I found is a dud so back to the drawing board.

Did you notice that Margaret and Charlotte lived at 86 Stapylton Street. (1901 Census) Oh how I wish my Auntie Jean (Dad's sister) was still alive, she lived in Grangetown her whole life and was a mine of information on families which I never appreciated when I was younger.

Curious to know how one so young as yourself is so interested in ancestors.  Most of us come to it much later in life.  I am revelling in it - maybe because I have the time. I am of course retired and since my husband's death my time is all my own.  Having said that I have a three bed house and large garden that I have to look after.

Back to the drawing board. Will get back to you again soon.

Cheers, Janet