Author Topic: Rock & Sons Hastings  (Read 22901 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rock & Sons Hastings
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 28 August 11 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris: Thanks for the great photos-very helpful.I will have to see if I can get a copy of the Smith book and Etherington's article from the Tunbridge Wells library or wherever I can find them.The Thunder Bay,Canada reference library is useless when it comes to anything on British history so I have to rely mainly on sources in Britian for my research and if books have to be brought in from other libraries they charge a huge fee.

Regards...Ed Gilbert

Offline 1909

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 28 August 11 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ed,

Couple of thoughts:
- are you aware of the work of David Renno, who I think is interested in the Hastings end of the story
- the picture of the carriage came from a lady in Illinois (who owns it). Would you be interested in an email address for her? (perhaps I could send it to you directly as I wouldn't want to publish it without her permission.)

Chris

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 28 August 11 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris: Yes I have been corresponding and exchanging information with David. It has been mutually benefitial.Dave says he is writing a book on Rock & Sons with an emphasis on its Hastings operations and I am working on an article with emphasis on the business operations in Tunbridge Wells. In fact all of my research and articles are about Tunbridge Wells people and businesses and some of my Gilbert family history articles about their lives in Tunbridge Wells have been published in the Tunbridge Wells Family History Society journal with more expected to be published in subsequent editions. Im currently concentrating on topics of postcards(photographers and publishes);photographers and carriage makers of Tunbridge Wells.

I have got some inquires out about the George Smith book(113 pages published 1896) and to Bygone Kent about the article and I am waiting for a response. Do you have a copy of the article in case I cant get it anywhere?

No I dont need the email address regarding the carriage photo but thanks for offering..........Regards...Ed Gilbert

Offline 1909

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ed,
Yes I have a scanned copy of the article, but the docs are too big for this web-site. I could find a way of reducing them, but am a bit tied up just at the moment. Remind me in a week or so if you still need them and I'll have a go then.   Chris

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris: The Thunder Bay library has found and ordered for me a copy of the George Smitt carriage book. The Bygone Kent people are looking for the article.If they cant find it I will let you know and perhaps you can send me a scan of it or post it. Ill let you know.

Regards...Ed Gilbert

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 12 September 11 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris: I have the book about carriages on order from the library but I need help locating Keith's article in Bygone Kent.I contacted the magazine but they couldnt come up with it.I want to get a copy from the T.Wells library but to do so I need to know when the article was published and the title would be helpful also.The library has back issues to 1980 so there are a lot of issues to search through and I wanted to help them speed up their search for it.Can ypu help?

Regards...Ed Gilbert

Offline 1909

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 12 September 11 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Ed, Unfortunately I can't tell from the scanned pages what edition it was - only that it was pages 506 to 513. I will try to get the filesize reduced today or tomorrow so I can post them here.  Chris

Offline 1909

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 14:37 BST (UK) »
Keith's article 1

Offline 1909

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile