Author Topic: Cottingham, Cemetery Records .. Stephenson  (Read 36414 times)

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cottingham, Cemetery Records .. Stephenson
« on: Sunday 22 March 09 17:50 GMT (UK) »
 Does any body have actual Cemetery burial records for Cottingham (just north of Hull). I am looking for Stephenson. My William Stephenson married a Mary Ann Scott at Cottingham in 1838. They are found in the 1841 census at Cottingham ... but had moved to Stoneferry in Sutton (I believe this is just E of Cottingham) in 1851. All their Children were baptised at Cottingham ... Wm Edwin in 1839 / Elizth in 1841 / Robt 1845 / Mary-Ellen 1847 and Alfred in 1849.
 I am told that William Stephenson and wife Mary (nee Scott) lost 2 children .. a girl possibly named Alice, and a boy named Henry Scott Stephenson ( I have this Henry as baptised Jan 11. 1843 ... buried at Cottingham 31st January 1844 .. 1 year old .. Fathers occ. joiner and wheelwright.) In 1841 they were at Thwaite in Cottingham... this family came to Ontario Canada in 1854.
 I am just interested to find what cemetery they are buried in ( Alice & Henry)  .. and if there might be a stone. I think I already likely know about the stone part ... 'hay' that cost money .. right?!
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.

Offline SteveJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cottingham, Cemetery Records .. Stephenson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 April 09 19:32 BST (UK) »
Wonder if any of these are yours

Monumental Inscriptions for St Mary's Cottingham

Plot 415 mentions Canada

Plot 199
Charles Stephenson
16/08/1878 aged 56

Plot 293
Charlotte Ann Stephenson
03/03/1878 aged 12
also
Henry and Arthur died in infancy

Plot 246
Issac Stephenson
17/10/1879 aged 70

Plot 306
Henry Stephenson
03/12/1886 aged 66
Mary Ann Stephenson
23/11/1878 aged 54
also
Three children who died in infancy

Plot 407
William Breighton Stephenson
16/01/1861 aged 34
Elizabeth Stephenson
01/07/1878 aged 75
George Stephenson
07/05/1879 aged 84

Plot 415
Sarah daughter of William and Catherine Stephenson
12/11/1840 aged 1 year 10 months
also
Elizabeth
9/12/1840 aged 6 months
also Catherine wife of the above interred
Salom / Chapel Pickering, West Canada

Plot 416
John Stephenson
son of John and Mary Stephenson
14/11/1808 aged 2 years 5 months
also
George infant son
08/05/1810

Plot 417
John Stephenson
13/01/1838 aged 63
Mary Stephenson
29/10/1860 aged 79

Plot 423
Rachel Ann Stephenson
wife of George Stephenson (junior)
16/06/1852 aged 27
also
George
son
25/05/1823 aged 5 months (I think I could have wrote this date down wrong)
Walford  Staffordshire,Yorkshire
Boyes     Beverley, Hull
Allison     Beverley, Hull
Bowser   East Yorkshire
Etherton Sussex

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 April 09 21:25 BST (UK) »
 Thankyou for that ... plot 415 .. Catherine, wife of William. I have a Stephenson family history from 1917, that tells me this Catherine was a Archbutt and married William Stephenson (a Methodist preacher) .. and after 5 children came to Canada in about 1843. during the cholera of 1849, she died ... Catherine's sister Sarah Archbutt left Cottingham .. and went to Canada, where she also married William .. her sisters former husband ... but Sarah died a few weeks after the wedding (from heavy cold and ship fevor)
 But alas .. I do not think I am any relation to this Stephenson family that Catherine married into. I just happen to have this old family history (done in 1917 - 1918)
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 April 09 17:14 BST (UK) »
 Steve ... what does the MI for Cottingham show for the surname SCOTT. My Mary Stephenson .. who came to Canada in 1854 was a Scott from Cottingham. Her father was a Wiilam Scott who I am told died in 1852 .. and the mother was Mary Twidle.
 The boat record of my Stephensons (Hull to New York) docked Nov 12 1854 ... show Mary Stephenson (record spelled it Stevenson) and 5 children .. plus 3 Scotts .. Mary Scott age 57 / Thomas Scott age 38 and Ann Scott age 30 (plus an Elizabeth Withernwick .. who I believe was also a Scott)
 I believe the Mary Scott(57) is maybe William Scotts wife (nee Twiddle) and the Thomas(38) may have left a wife .. and never sent for her (Mary Scott .. nee Clark.. possibly buried with children Thomas and Sarah)
 On the boat record Thomas Scott is down as a Gardener

Offline mikecovell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 April 09 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken, We spoke some time age ref The Stephenson familes, but figured out there was no link, anyway, thought you might like to read this from todays Hull Daily Mail...

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/news/Help-catch-graveyard-vandals/article-874336-detail/article.html

Hull Daily Mail- 6th April 2009

POLICE are stepping up patrols in Sutton after vandals damaged 32 headstones in a church graveyard.
The headstones have been pushed over at St James' Church in what officers describe as an act of "mindless" vandalism.
The culprits attacked some of the stones on Thursday before returning on Friday to cause yet more damage.
The Mail understands that families whose deceased relatives' graves have been affected have not yet discovered the devastating news.
Reverend Heather Nesbitt, vicar of St James', Church Street, Sutton, said: "I think it is so sad. It appears whoever did it just went around and systematically pushed them over.
"We cannot necessarily get in touch with the families so it is a case of waiting for them to visit.
"Then they will come to my door in such a distressed state."
Rev Nesbitt said she was preparing for visits from people who would be understandably upset.
She said: "Relatives are going to be very distressed to find the grave they have been attending, maybe over the years, has been desecrated as far as they're concerned.
"It is sacred to the memory of the people who are there and it is so sad."
PC Rich Watson, beat manager of the East Policing Team, based at Bransholme Police Station, said his main priority was finding who caused the damage.
He said: "There are families who have relatives and friends deceased in the graveyard and they expect it to be a place they can rest in peace.
"They expect to be able to pay their respects without having to put up with such mindless damage."
PC Watson said his team would be stepping up patrols of the area in a bid to find who caused the damage.
Anyone with information about the damage is being asked to call Humberside Police on               0845 6060222       .

Lets hope they catch the culprits!

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 April 09 15:23 BST (UK) »
 That is sad. We went through .. the same thing in my small town here in Ontario ( about 20,000 pop)... just last year 70 stones were pushed over ... it was VERY VERY sad to see. It happened in the night on a weekend ... just some guys going home from a party .. I THINK. In our case they were caught ... and the town (which owns the cemetery) picked up the tab, to fix all of this. The sadest part is really old stones that break apart when kicked over ... but if I could leave a good note ... my town did a very good job of fixing all this.

Offline SteveJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 April 09 20:57 BST (UK) »
Ken

Be a couple of weeks before I get to have a look at the MI again

Have you any more details on the Scotts

I had a look at various years census, I assume you have seen these

Thomas (I assume this is the one who went to Canada)
Mary
Ann
Sarah
Thomas
Elizabeth

Mary (shown as married)
Tom (junior)
Elizabeth
Ruth

Mary (shown as widow)
Sarah
Thomas (butcher)
Ruth

Thos (gardener) head
Mary (mother)
Sarah (sister)
Alice (surname My Ward) boarderer

Tom (market gardener)
Mary (mother)
Sarah (sister)

Thomas (market gardener own account)
Mary (mother)
Sarah (sister)

All living in Cottingham
When did Thomas senior die in Canada
Do we assume Mary was in touch with her husband in Canada, her status changes from married to widow between 1861 and 1871

Boyes     Beverley, Hull
Bowser   East Yorkshire
Etherton Sussex

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 April 09 23:45 BST (UK) »
 No I had not looked the 1851 ... through to 1901 census up, for Thomas's family. But I have been talking with other Scott conections in the Hull area ... that told me about Thomas's wife showing as married in 1861 .. and widow in 1871. I only know that my Mary Stephenson (she was born at Cottingham in 1819 .. to parents William Scott and Mary Twidle) came to Canada in 1854 ... and as I have the boat record (Ancestry, has New York Port records 1820 - 1957) .. and it shows all 27 passengers .. I know from this, that there was a Thomas Scott age 38 .. trade given as Gardener ... and a Mary Scott age 57 and an Ann Scott age 30 on the same boat. They all settled around Hamilton in Wentworth County Ontario ... and I believe Ann Scott married an Edward Nicholls in the Hamilton area 1856 or so. The first Ontario census to find them in is 1861 ... at which time my Stephensons ... plus Elizth and Wm Withernwick were in Barton Township, Wentworth County (Hamilton area) ... but the Nicholls's had already moved and were found in Caradoc Township, Middlesex County (near the town of Strathroy) as follows ... Caradoc T.S 1861 .....
  E Nichols carpenter born Eng age 28
  A Nichols                 born: Eng  age 28
  T Nichols                  born: Canada  age: 4
  C E Nichols                   "    Canada  born in 1860
  T    Scott   laborer    born England  age 40
   W Stevenson   carpenter   born: England  age 22

The census went on to state that of this household of 6 people ... 3 were married. As you can see  full first names were not given ... but I believe this is Edward and wife Ann and their sons Thomas and Charlie E plus Thomas Scott and Wm Stephenson (Mary Stephenson's 1st born) . Now as I believe Wm Stephenson (or Stevenson .. as stated in the census) was still single at this time ... that would mean that Edward & Ann Nicholls plus T Scott are the married ones.
 I have tried ... but have found no death for this T{homas} Scott. Ontario death reports only go back to 1869 .. and the local newpaper is on micro film ... starting in 1870 onward. Plus early burial records for the cemetery only go back to about 1874 or so.
 And as for the Mary Scott ... I have her name on the boat record, and that is it ... if she made it to Hamilton here in Ontario ... I just do not know.
 Mary Stephenson died at Strathroy Ont in 1897 ... and the local newspaper stated that she was from a family of 16 ... with 2 borother still living ... Edward at Hull and Richard at Cottingham

Offline SteveJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 April 09 20:40 BST (UK) »
Ken

Do you know when Mary died

When I looked at the MI books at the Treasure House (East Riding Archives)
There was only one book in the section for Cottingham (St Marys)

There is another cemetery down Eppleworth Road, I think this is a municipal cemetery (all dominations are buried here)

Looking on the East Yorkshire Family History Society's list of publications they have two booklets for this cemetery. Possibly someone was already looking at these or else they could have been misfiled

I should be going in the next couple of weeks

Boyes     Beverley, Hull
Bowser   East Yorkshire
Etherton Sussex