Author Topic: DEAR & GREATREX in SA  (Read 3255 times)

Offline jkemp22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DEAR & GREATREX in SA
« on: Sunday 22 March 09 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

Would someone please find if they can (i've had trouble with accessing this state's systems) something on the following people.

James Greatrex:  b: 1820 (England) died 1911
Elizabeth Dear:  b:  1833 (England) died 1915

Was Elizabeth, the mother of Caroline Eliza Greatrex: born in SA (1855)  died in the Royal Melbourne Hosp in 1915?
Eliza married a Charles Dymock Perkins and started a family lineage reasonably well identified now.

Caroline was called Eliza according to oral trad.  She had the saddest of 'endings'.  Apparently she developed a cancer in one of her legs; she moved over to Melbourne, as her newly married dtr Blanche (my grandmother) could look after her.  With shock and dismay they removed the healthy leg, then of course they had to amputate the diseased one!  She ended up dying soon after; the circumstances we do not know of.

My grandmother, Blanche Wynne Perkins was an Adelaide girl.  I haven't been able to obtain her details but she was born in 1884 (June i think).

We still don't know why she came over to Melbourne as a young woman.  She did however marry my grandfather 3 months after he had arrived in Melbourne from England in 1912.  Was she desperate as she approached 30years of age?

Thanks
Regards
Julie

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: DEAR & GREATREX in SA
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 March 09 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Juilie,

SA BMD's are not available on line

GREATREX Caroline Eliza b 8 Jan 1855 Adelaifde Dist Ade 5 97 parents James GREATREX and Elizabeth DEAR

Siblings

GREATREX James Henry b 4 Jan 1854 Adelaide Dist Ade 4 264 Parents James GREATREX and Elizabeth DEAR

GREATREX Charles Henry b 21 Sep 1856 Adelaide Dist Ade 7 152 parents James GREATREX and Amelia DEAR

GREATREX Louisa b 25 JUly 1859 Adelaide Dist Ade 15 150 Parents James GREATREX and Amelia TEAR

GREATREX Alfred Henry b 2 Feb 1877 Adelaide Dist Ade 178 113 Parents  James GREATREX and Amelia DEAR

Cheers Kris :D

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 March 09 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

Poor woman, sounds really awful. Fancy taking off her good leg  :'(

PERKINS Blanche Wynne b 18 June 1883 Knightsbridge Dist Ade 307 141 parents Charles Devonshire PERKINS and Eliza Caroline GREATREX

siblings

PERKINS Ernest Charles b 27 Jan 1878 Goodwood Dist Ade 195 488 parents Charles Devonshire PERKINS and Eliza Caroline GREATREX

PERKINS Hilda 11 June 1881 Knightsbridge Dist Ade 266 221 parents Charles Devonshire PERKINS and Eliza Caroline GREATREX

PERKINS Charles Wynne 17 May 1885 Knightsbridge Dist Nor 350 342 parents Charles Devonshire PERKINS and  Eliza Caroline GREATRIX

PERKINS Frank Eustace b 22 July 1887 Knightsbridge Dist Nor 400 219 Parents Charles Devonshire PERKINS and Eliza Caroline GREATREX

PERKINS Charles Devonshire 24 Single father William Henry Perkins = GREATREX Eliza Caroline 22 Single father James Henry Greatrex 28 Mar 1877 St Johns Church Adelaide Dist Ade 110 1008

Cheers Kris  :)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 March 09 22:23 GMT (UK) »
GREATREX James Charles died 7 June 1911 North Adelaide Dist Ade 357 247. He was aged 90 married, Rel not recorded, res North Adelaide

GREATREX Amelia Elizabeth died 22 Aug 1915 North Adelaide Dist Ade 395 3 she was aged 82 a widow rel James Charles GREATEX Deceased Husband, res North Adelaide

BISA incorrect info ::)

GREATREX Thomas arrived by 1855 m unknown ch Eliza Caroline Perkins 1855-1915

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 March 09 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Julie,

I missed the marriage earlier, but they did in fact marry in SA.

GREATEREX James 32 single father not recorded = DEAN Elizabeth 19 single father not recored 19 July 1852 Holy Trinity Church Adelaide Dist Ade 5 121

Offline jkemp22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
hello Kris,

Thank you so much for your work.  It's always just so good when you recieve such responses.  It's a delight.

Regards
Julie

Offline jkemp22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kris,

I need to get back to you! ???

I'm a bit confused about who James Charles Greatrex. >:(

Did James Charles Greatrex marry a sister of Elizabeth Dear ie  Amelia Dear? :o

So sorry, i feel a mess with this.

I guess in summary how i have it at present is as follows:

James Henry Greatrex + Elizabeth Dear, both from England,  marry in 1852,  in Adelaide,  and have

dtr:  Caroline Eliza Greatrex in 1855, Adelaide.
You've given me her siblings:  terrific, but the mother's name you've given is Amelia Tear/Dear so is this just a mistake or was she Elizabeth's sister and a second wife of James Henry?  But that doesn't seem possible as divorce was rare, and Elizabeth lived until 1915.

Caroline Eliza then married Charles Devonshire Perkins and had 5 children, including my grandmother, Blanche Wynne Perkins.  I have her siblings down pat.

I'm not sure of James Charles Greatrex and where he fits in.   The same with Amelia Elizabeth Greatrex.

Thomas Greatrex who arrived by 1855 married unknown but had a child Eliza Caroline Perkins> I think something's amiss here?!

Kind regards,
Julie

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

It is one and the same person. Marriage lists her as Elizabeth, some births list her as Elizabeth, some list her as Amelia. Clearly some transcription errors such as DEAN and TEAR. I suspect that if you had those certificates the name would be DEAR

Death puts it all together where her name was listed as Amelia Elizabeth  ;D

GREATREX Amelia Elizabeth died 22 Aug 1915 North Adelaide Dist Ade 395 3 she was aged 82 a widow rel James Charles GREATEX Deceased Husband, res North Adelaide
Sorry that should be GREATREX.

Same with the death for James which lists him as James Charles. These are the names provided at time of death, possibly by one of the children. If you know him as James Henry perhaps they got it wrong. It is the only time I see a middle name listed. No entries list James Henry, apart from the death all entries list him simply as James. I haven't found the burial to see what it says.

The BISA was compiled from many sources, some submitted. We do need to check the information it contains. Sometimes information from the BISA is excellent, and can be a be a very handy lead, at other times it is not terribly helpful. In this case that is all the entry says. The fathers name has been entered incorrectly.  :'(

Offline jkemp22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DEAR & GREATREX in SA [COMPLETED]
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kris.

Thanks so much. :D
I think that's it!

Kind regards