Author Topic: North Dalton. Bainton - Kirkburn  (Read 8790 times)

Offline miniT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: North Dalton. Bainton - Kirkburn
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 February 10 20:15 GMT (UK) »
I think it is probably near to the school and the pond, at the west end of the village - seems logical.

There are Nobles on my tree.  I must update my searches as there are more surnames to add such as Witty, Ransom, Pashby and Bell.  I found gravestones for people in my family tree in both North Dalton and Bridlington.  I find that the ladies in the family tree are so much harder to trace.  I did find a row of houses in North Dalton called Ransome Row and wondered if there was some connection to the Ransoms in my family tree.

Hope the map was helpful to you.

Regards
Mary
Brocklebank; Cherry; Dent; Gibson; Hunt; Newlove; Noble; Samson; Taylor; Turner;

Offline tradguide

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 February 10 11:21 GMT (UK) »
I've not found out yet how to add surnames of interest but I also have Ransom(e), Witty and Bell on my tree. My grandma was a Bell. Yes Ransom Row is connected to the family of Ransom(e)s. I was told some of the Ransoms lived at the end house of Ransom Row furthest away from the church end of the village. It seems to vary whether there's an (e) at the end of Ransom or not! It would be interesting to know how you fit into the family!
The map was useful thanks.
Judith

Offline john l

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 December 10 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi
just found your sight for Gibson Cherry

I have been looking for the same family for my wife. Her mothers name was May Cherry doughter of Charlie.

Do you Know each other

john l

Offline Fuzzock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 December 10 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Have just started researching my family tree. I have  Ransom(e)s and possibly Bells in my ancestry.  I have yet to find a link between the Ransom(e)s and the Bells.

Bulmers Directory of 1892 lists George Tom Ransom as a tailor and the Baines Directory of 1823 lists a John Ransom as a blacksmith. (Genuki website)

I would suggest that 'The Wold' that someone mentions is on the road going out of the village towards Huggate (due to some farm names and the fact that this road leads up onto the top of the Wolds [will double check farm names]), as I live  in the locality and know North Dalton reasonably well and have local contacts with agricultural backgrounds.

Offline John Ackerley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 September 15 07:39 BST (UK) »
Found garment button whilst metal detecting yesterday with name of B Ransome of North Dalton on. Can anyone throw any light on this find?

Offline tradguide

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 September 15 08:32 BST (UK) »
Found garment button whilst metal detecting yesterday with name of B Ransome of North Dalton on. Can anyone throw any light on this find?
Hi. It could be Bell Ransome who was my great x 2 great uncle. He lived from 1835 to 1916. I have many Ransome ancestors, but Bell is the only one on my tree who's name begins with B.
I now live about 20 minutes from North Dalton.
Judith

Offline tradguide

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 September 15 09:03 BST (UK) »
Have just started researching my family tree. I have  Ransom(e)s and possibly Bells in my ancestry.  I have yet to find a link between the Ransom(e)s and the Bells.

Thomas Ransome married Margaret Bell from Kilham, but there is also a Bell family who came from the Pickering area in the early 1800s to live in Bainton and some of the children then lived in North Dalton, whilst some went back to the Pickering area and some to Hull and some descendants lived in Driffield. There doesn't seem to be a connection between the 2 Bell families from Kilham & Pickering (unless of course someone has found one!)
Judith

Offline John Ackerley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 September 15 09:06 BST (UK) »
Judith - thanks. How come he was making buttons? Was there a manufacturing plant/shop at north Dalton?

Offline tradguide

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 September 15 17:47 BST (UK) »
Judith - thanks. How come he was making buttons? Was there a manufacturing plant/shop at north Dalton?
There were lots of trades in North Dalton during the 1800s and early 1900s, but I haven't heard of a button manufacturer. Bell was a tailor though. Could this be off an army uniform or maybe he had special buttons made to go on one of his handmade suits. Are you wanting to find a good home for it or just looking for information?
Judith