Author Topic: Kingsford millers  (Read 3711 times)

Offline bryanrs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kingsford millers
« on: Monday 23 March 09 20:03 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to contact descendants of the Kingsford family who I understand were millers in the Canterbury and Dover area.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kingsford millers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 March 09 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryanrs

There were a number of branches of KINGSFORD families in Kent and, no doubt many, many descendants of them.  Which particular branch are you looking into ie. do you have any names/dates etc.?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bryanrs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 March 09 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

That is not too easy to cover in a short email!

The line I am directly interested in starts for my purposes with DANIEL KINGSFORD b. 1668 Monckton, Kent d. 1706, 18 March who  m. Elizabeth Culmer.

One of his grandchildren was WILLIAM KINGSFORD b. 1721 Kent. d. 1779 Sturry, Kent, who m. Mary Pierce
These were I gather part of a large Baptist family who resided later around Canterbury, mostly self employed millers and two became partners in a local bank.

In turn one of his grandchildren was SAMUEL KINGSFORD  b. 7 May 1781 Canterbury, Kent, who m Elizabeth Stooke in London. Samuel and his family emigrated to Australia, but after his death the wife and daughter returned to England.
Those of the family who stayed in the UK moved to Dover and established a brewery and milling business there.

Several relations were recipients of the daughters will including several cousins: Eliza Kingsford and Maria Kingsford, of Buckland, near Dover, Kent and Selina and Frederick Kingsford, of unknown residence. 

I am interested to contact any direct or indirect descendants of this family.

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi bryanrs
I have looked at my family tree and I do have some that were involved but with out delving deeper I can't straight away match my names with those that you gave out. I have an article on the Windmill brewery that was owned by the Kingsfords in Dover that I can let you have. It gives al ot of history and names. If you contact me via PM with your email address I will send it to you.
regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline Kingsford

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 December 10 01:50 GMT (UK) »
hi bryanrs are you still looking for information on the Kingsford family in Dover and Buckland - i maybe able to help you.

Offline bsastarfire250

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Kingsford millers- William Walter Kingsford Hardiman.
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 March 18 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,
my Great Grandfather was William Walter "K" Hardiman. I found out that he was born in Ramsgate and ran pubs in Dover and Canterbury area in 1890s. He passed away in 1925. I was looking for his parents without success, but looking at a "pubs of kent" website found his name and that the K stood for Kingsford.
I suspect he was the illegitimate son of one of the Kingsford brewing dynasty in the area.