Author Topic: 'Mental home' in Bridgend  (Read 44896 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 'Mental home' in Bridgend
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 12:36 BST (UK) »
Oh.my.Lord.    Do you know, I checked 1941 and a year either side and I re-checked recently, never thought of checking 1943.  It may be him, I'll order the cert. My grandmother was adamant he died in 1941 so I just presumed the death entry would be 1941!   We scoured the graveyard for a stone too but couldnt find one so it may have been removed, we were only over in Bridgend for the day so couldnt hang around. I'll order this cert, you are a star!!!
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 16:25 BST (UK) »
I was worried that the 1943 chap might be too young to be yours - hope it turns out to be him!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 13:33 BST (UK) »
My great grandad was born 1889 so it looks like it could be him   :)   the 1943 year is two years out but perhaps my grandmother was mistaken, or maybe the inquest was complicated. x
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline healy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 20:34 BST (UK) »
Yes I can confirm what Achilles has written.  I had an aunt who worked in Glanrhyd.

Pen Y Fai was for milder patients who had mental health problems and treatment was for short stay patients, say having had a nervous breakdown or a loss in the family.     Glanrhyd was for more long-term patients.

I believe patients who needed secure residency were sent to the Parc.

I am talking 1970's here.

Steven
sorry to disappoint the writer, but i worked at glanrhyd hospital from 1969
 until 2006..penyfai was not as you say for the milder illnesses, in fact penyfai WAS the admission ward for all 3 of the hospitals mentioned, during the 1960/70s
...muldoon

Moderator comment: two subsequent posts removed from this thread - they were discussing matters that were too personal and too recent to be detailed on Rootschat.  Please remember to keep your posts general unless they deal with matters that can accurately be termed "history".  Thanks.

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Healey, i read that you worked at the hosp. in those years do you know how i can access info about my stay there and my mothers in those years?
thanks
Came from Cadoxton S. Wales. Moved to England in 1966.
Moved to Florida in 1970
Moved and settled in Toronto in 1971
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 22:46 BST (UK) »
I found this on the web, when I actually caled the hospital i was told that they did not keep records from 1969/70s.

Does any one know how to access records from this hospital?
thanks 

Glamorgan Archives: Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum/Glamorgan County Mental Hospital/Glanrhyd Hospital records

Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum, Glamorgan County Mental Hospital and Glanrhyd Hospital records including administrative records, 1864-1990; patient records, 1864-1956; other medical records, 1864-1960...
2    Glamorgan Archives: Lunatic Asylums

Records of Lunatic Asylums, 1718-1922: County Lunatic Asylum, title deeds, minutes and reports, finance, correspondence, and buildings; Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum, (Angelton) Bridgend; Parc Gwyllt, Bridgend; plans; returns; United House Asylum, minutes, agreements, letter books, plans, and mis...
Came from Cadoxton S. Wales. Moved to England in 1966.
Moved to Florida in 1970
Moved and settled in Toronto in 1971
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline JohnRJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 August 10 08:13 BST (UK) »
Interesting.

I came across this site by chance as I was investigating the so-called lunatic asylums in the Bridgend area.

I was an inpatient at Pen-y-fai in March 1973 at the age of 12 as I was a gifted child who had just been diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy. I was in Coity Ward which was known as ‘Male A’ and downstairs; whereas Ogmore Ward was ‘Male B’ and upstairs. Glanrhyd had wards identified by numbers.

Glanrhyd and Parc are mentioned, but does anyone remember Cefn Hirgoed which was somewhere by McArthur Glen not far from Parc by what was the road towards Sarn via Pen-y-cae before the motorway was built?

Offline healy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 August 10 18:06 BST (UK) »
cefn hirgoid was a fever hospital

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 05 August 10 19:20 BST (UK) »
I found this on the web, when I actually caled the hospital i was told that they did not keep records from 1969/70s.

Does any one know how to access records from this hospital?
thanks 

Glamorgan Archives: Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum/Glamorgan County Mental Hospital/Glanrhyd Hospital records

Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum, Glamorgan County Mental Hospital and Glanrhyd Hospital records including administrative records, 1864-1990; patient records, 1864-1956; other medical records, 1864-1960...
2    Glamorgan Archives: Lunatic Asylums

Records of Lunatic Asylums, 1718-1922: County Lunatic Asylum, title deeds, minutes and reports, finance, correspondence, and buildings; Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum, (Angelton) Bridgend; Parc Gwyllt, Bridgend; plans; returns; United House Asylum, minutes, agreements, letter books, plans, and mis...

A handlist is available at the Glamorgan Record Office.  Which is now Glamorgan Archives, see link

http://www.glamro.gov.uk/

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland