Author Topic: 'Mental home' in Bridgend  (Read 44754 times)

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
Re: 'Mental home' in Bridgend
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 05 August 10 21:25 BST (UK) »
I found this info. on the web:
The hospital was founded in 1864 as the Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum, Bridgend. This establishment was known as Angelton after the setting up of a branch asylum at Parc Gwyllt in 1887. In 1922 the name of the hospital was changed to Glamorgan County Mental Hospital. After it became part of the National Health Service in July 1948, it was renamed Morgannwg Hospital, Angelton becoming Glanrhyd Hospital, and Parc Gwyllt becoming the Parc Hospital.
Came from Cadoxton S. Wales. Moved to England in 1966.
Moved to Florida in 1970
Moved and settled in Toronto in 1971
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 05 August 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Marona,

Not read throu the whole thread, but if you are looking for records to 'Mental Health Hospitals' in this time frame, best contact the link.  Am sure they would be there, but if not they will let you know where these records are kept to access, usually a fee.  Just an enquiry email is needed and if you wish any info it will be passed after payment.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 06 August 10 01:37 BST (UK) »
thank you cas, i will get in touch:)
Moved to Florida in 1970
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline paperfrock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 06 August 10 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
 I've also discovered that a relative was a patient at Angleton Bridgend during 1911 .
Morgan Merriman date of death given as June 1912 aged 40 condition described as Imbecile :(

Paperfrock

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 07 August 10 03:12 BST (UK) »
What an awful description!
Moved to Florida in 1970

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 08 August 10 04:03 BST (UK) »
Finding more info

Name of creator(s): Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum; Glamorgan County Mental Hospital; Glanrhyd Hospital
CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Before the 19th century, care of the mentally ill was mainly provided in the home, but from the 1840s, the Glamorgan Quarter Sessions paid for certain patients to be accommodated at Vernon House Asylum, Briton Ferry. The Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum at Angelton, Bridgend, did not open until November 1864. The asylum was managed by a committee of visitors appointed by the Quarter Sessions. Accommodation for 350 patients was initially provided at Angelton, but it soon became apparent that this was inadequate to meet the demands made upon it. In 1887 a new building was erected at Parc Gwyllt, Bridgend. Responsibility for the administration of these two institutions was inherited by the new Glamorgan County Council in 1889 and the name later changed to the Glamorgan County Mental Hospital. A further hospital was opened in 1934, named Penyfai, which dealt with admissions. In July 1948, the hospital became part of the National Health Service. The three buildings were called Morgannwg Hospital, with Angelton being renamed as Glanrhyd Hospital (the name it still retains), and Parc Gwyllt abbreviated to Parc Hospital. The Morgannwg Hospital Management committee was appointed by the Welsh Hospital Board to oversee the running of the hospital. Recent events have led to the closure and demolition of Parc Hospital and later Penyfai Hospital. The only remaining building is Glanrhyd Hospital, which was the original asylum built in 1864. It is currently administered by the Bridgend and District NHS Trust.
CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum, Glamorgan County Mental Hospital and Glanrhyd Hospital records including administrative records, 1864-1990; patient records, 1864-1956; other medical records, 1864-1960
Moved to Florida in 1970

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 15 August 10 21:47 BST (UK) »
I have a relative who was admitted to Pen Y Fai in the 1940s/early 1950s and died there in the 70's. Could you advise please how I might be able to access records? Are there any photographs of the hospital or the patients?
Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.
Sharp, Houlgrave, McCarrick, Quinn, Dougherty in Liverpool.
Japha in Liverpool and Prussia (Poland)

Offline Valleygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 06:47 BST (UK) »
Paper frock could you tell me where you found the 1911 entry please

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Cas, I am wondering did you manage to get any info from the site you found. I am looking for info on my family...trying to do a family tree, alsp my mum was a patient in Morganng Hospital in bridgend:)
Moved to Florida in 1970