Author Topic: India: British Military Hospital, Kasauli, India.  (Read 12729 times)

Offline LAS1015

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
India: British Military Hospital, Kasauli, India.
« on: Tuesday 24 March 09 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My late Grandfather, Frank Hershel PRIOR was a Major in the I.A.O.C based at Fort William, Calcutta.  My father was born at Fort William in 1934 and his brother was born 3 years earlier at Ranikhet in 1931.  Sadly, my father's sister Eileen Iris PRIOR, (born 8 October 1929), died 7 May 1930 at the British Military Hospital, Kasauli.  Where would I be able to find a death certificate for Eileen Iris PRIOR?  Also, does anybody know if there is a cemetery nearby where she may have been buried?

Many thanks,

Lesley

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: British Military Hospital, Kasauli, India.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Lesley, I don't know anything specific about Kasuali but from the little that I do know about the Raj, I'll bet there was a British cemetry somewhere close by.  That there was a hospital there suggests a British presence in that area at the time... .

The Bristsh Library has a section that stores records of the Raj days... and maybe also you could search on National Archives site.

this is all very general but maybe it will give you some ideas.

let us know how you go.

charlotte

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 02:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Just had another thought--- there is a site or blog that is about British Families in India... maybe if someone can tell you about that there could be info there.   It's the sort of site where people with very close knowledge of the days of the Brits in India post.

charlotte

Offline LAS1015

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte,

Thanks so much for that ... a chap at the British Library did find a fair bit of info - the Kasauli connection and my late Aunt's name, her birth & death dates.  I'd really like to find out where/how  to find her death certificate as I think this would be so helpful.

Thanks again for contacting me - that was very kind of you.

Best wishes,
Lesley.

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 04:28 GMT (UK) »
Hullo again, I'd hazard a guess that your Aunt's death as a baby was in some way registred with British registrations abroad.

Maybe if you got in touch with GRO at Southport  by email if you live outside England or by phone if you live in England and asked them where you would apply to get the cert. they would be able to tell you.

It's almost certain also that there would have been a Garrison Church somewhere near the hospital and that's where the funeral would have been held.

If I were you I'd also hunt on the net via google for that email group concerned with British Families in India- that will be a source of authoritative knowledge and experience.

Keep us posted on how you go.

charlotte

Offline LAS1015

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Again Charlotte & Thank you for your advice.  I'll certainly keep you updated on any progress!

Many thanks,

Lesley

Offline dew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: India: British Military Hospital, Kasauli, India.
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 May 09 19:33 BST (UK) »
leslie,
    my name is puneet and i have been posted to kasauli recently. i want to know why you need the death cert of your aunt?

Offline dew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 May 09 19:35 BST (UK) »
i am very much doubtful if the hospital or any other agency will be maintaining such old records. but you know the army anything is possible.

Offline LAS1015

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 May 09 20:41 BST (UK) »
leslie,
 my name is puneet and i have been posted to kasauli recently. i want to know why you need the death cert of your aunt?

It's curiosity really, (as to the cause of her death).  She was only a few months old when she died & she died at the hospital.  I'd like to try & find out where she was buried too.  When my grandmother was alive she never spoke of the daughter she lost - and I was too young to ask her.  Sadly, there is no-one left now to ask.