Author Topic: Donnelly Family Maghera/Draperstown area  (Read 26465 times)

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donnelly Family Maghera/Draperstown area
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 21:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Baird for your reply :) I have kept a note of the details regarding your Donnelly's. The names you mentioned are not names that appear in my family tree (Thomas' or James Edmund).  However there is the "Glasgow" connection which could be a link.  My Great-grandfather Patrick chose to go to Glasgow in approx 1890-94 and was in his early 20's  - which makes me wonder if he knew anyone there or had any family members already in Glasgow.  Do you know exactly where your Donnelly's came from in the Maghera area?

Thank you PPCJMM for your reply :) I wonder if there is anything more you could tell me about your Francis Donnelly?  Francis is a name I have come across before and I believe maybe a family name - also I have been told that Brackalislea is the "original" home place of the Donnelly's before Kirley.  The name Matthew Donnelly was mentioned.  Also, I have been told about a Francis Donnelly who married a Sarah McGuigan and that they lived in or came from "Bracca" - could this be your Francis? Thank you for the Culinan lead and perhaps an association with Brackalislea.  I have looked into the possibility of John Donnelly & Margaret Cullinan marrying in Ballinascreen but did not come up with anything, as you say they could have been married in Desertmartin. I will try and pursue this.  I'm thinking there could be a connection between our Donnelly families, so would be really pleased to hear further from you.  Thanks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 16:43 BST (UK) »
HI,MY G-GRANDFATHER WAS FRANCIS DONNELLY FROM KIRLEY HE MARRIED MC GUIGAN FROM BRACKALISLEA( DESERTMARTIN PARISH) AND MOVED TO BRACKALISLEA.THE CULINAN YOU MENTION COULD BE FROM BRACKALISLEA AND THE MARRIAGE MAY HAVE TOOK PLACE IN DESERTMARTIN OR BALLINASCREEN(DRAPERSTOWN)
Hello ppcjmm
I would really like to make contact with you again, as I am sure our Donnelly's are related.  I have sent you a PM.  If possible could you please contact me either by this link or PM? You could possibly be my way forward over my "brickwall"! :) :)  Thanks!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I think that PCCJMM will have to do another post before he can use the PM system.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes, thanks for reminding me about the message system.  Hopefully ppcjmm will see this and be in touch.  I am really keeping my fingers crossed that they will reply because I think we share the same 3x great grandparents!

Offline ady900

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
My G G Father was Charles Donnelly Lisnamuck Born 1842 Married Mary heron Bancran.I am trying to get back to his father who I believe was called John. There may be a connection to your John.On the Proni wills register there are two Johns Listed one is your john 1898 the other is John Died 1887 Widow Ellen ???

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Ady -

I am so very pleased to hear from you! :) :).  I have been following and trying to trace the Donnelly's from Kirley, Lisnamuck & Bracaghreilly as I am convinced that they are all related somehow!  I have quite a bit of information and I would be pleased to pass on what I know. However, you must make 3 postings before you can use the PM (personal message system)!  I have looked at the films for the 1901 & 1911 Census for the Donnelly's in these townlands - I have made a transcription from these Censuses, the following you may find of interest. Perhaps already knew?

1901 - Lisnamuck
Charles Donnelly (age 59), Mary Donnelly (55), Francis (19) son, Alice (16) daughter, Charles (14), son and Rose (11), daughter.

1911 - Lisnamuck
Charles Donnelly (72), Mary Donnelly (69), Francis (29) son, Alice (25) daughter, Rosella (19) daughter, Andrew Doogan 3 1/2 grandson

I am hopeful of trying to contact other Donnelly relatives and would love to pool our information -  and maybe find out how we are all related and perhaps a little bit more about the family in general - how they all faired and where they went to!  Please keeping posting because it would be great to be in touch further!
Cheers, Leslie

PS - I have a copy of the 1831 census -  There are 4 Donnelly men (head of households)  listed living in Lisnamuck - one being a John Donnelly.

Offline ady900

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Turner

Both those records 1901 & 1911 relate to my G G fathers Family.
I have Found a Charles Donnelly Death 1916 Which I believe is my G G Father the only Strange thing is that Probate was Granted to an Edward Cushenan This I cant figure as his Wife and Children were all still alive at this stage.???

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
That is a puzzle - but I can tell you that there was an Edward Cushenan living in Kirley (listed on the 1911 Census).  Were the other members of the family still in Lisnamuck? Had they immigrated... ???

Offline ady900

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Most of the Girls Emigrated except Alice,Mary Went to America but Returned and Married Edward Dougan They had three children but they both Died. Hence Andrew Dougan in 1911 Census Staying with Charles & Mary His Grandparents.