Author Topic: Donnelly Family Maghera/Draperstown area  (Read 26464 times)

Offline ady900

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donnelly Family Maghera/Draperstown area
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Again

Does the John in 1831 Census Show any Children or does it give his age ??

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 13:05 BST (UK) »
1831 census only lists head of household, number of males and females and religion (relationships aren't given).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ady900

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Thanks for that. Are there any Charles Donnelys Listed in 1831 Census in that Area ???

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hello again Ady -

The 1831 Census shows (as Aghadowey rightly says) only head of housesholds and number of males, females & religion -  For John's household it shows 2 males and 1 female.

The only other Charles Donnelly in that area in 1831 (and after)  is potentially "mine" - this is one of the places I am stuck.  There is a Charles Donnelly in Kirley at that time who passes over his farm tenancy to a John Donnelly(sometime between 1870-1880), there is also a Michael Donnelly who passes over his tenancy to a John Donnelly at approx. the same period in time.  I also have a baptismal cert. stating that there is also a Francis Donnelly who is father to a John Donnelly born at approx. the right time I am looking for.  So, I am in the position of trying to figure out if both of the John Donnelly's in Kirley are one and the same - or maybe cousins? But most importantly who is the father of my John - Charles, Michael or Francis!! :-\  Charles or Michael could have been brothers of John's -  they seem to disappear off the radar.

Also, I don't know if you were aware but there was a Peter Donnelly farming in Lisnamuck who seems to have had a large family.  I don't know if any of those Donnelly's were named John or Charles.  Again one of the things I am looking into!! Trying to eliminate various Donnelly's!

PS  - The information about your Donnelly girls was interesting. Thx.  Where did they immigrate to in America? I believe one of the Kirley Donnelly's left for Philiadelphia.

Offline frilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Turnerchimes
This is just  a long shot ,but my Grandmother Jane Cassidy Donnelly  was born in SCotland in 1887. Her mother was a Mary Ann Miller and her father was Andrew Donnelly  My Greatgrandfather James Donnelley was born in Ireland  I think it might have been County Cavan   Given that my Granmothers Granmothert name was Cassisdy. I have a feeling they were all born and knew each other in Ireland before they came to Scotland Regards Frilly

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Frilly -
No, sorry.  Too long a shot I think :)

My family are from Co. Derry and not Co. Cavan.  Although there were lots of Donnelly's and Cassidy's in these parts. You will need to try and narrow down where your family are from.  Perhaps there may be clues on Jane Donnelly's birth certificate or entry in a parish register in Scotland or you could try and locate the marriage for Mary Ann Miller and Andrew Donnelly as this may give you a better indication of what area they were from in Ireland.
Good Luck!

Offline frilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 20:21 BST (UK) »

Thank you Turnerchimes for your prompt replty AND the tips!!!! Frilly 

Hi Frilly -
No, sorry.  Too long a shot I think :)

My family are from Co. Derry and not Co. Cavan.  Although there were lots of Donnelly's and Cassidy's in these parts. You will need to try and narrow down where your family are from.  Perhaps there may be clues on Jane Donnelly's birth certificate or entry in a parish register in Scotland or you could try and locate the marriage for Mary Ann Miller and Andrew Donnelly as this may give you a better indication of what area they were from in Ireland.
Good Luck!

Offline cmatyckas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Donnelly Family Maghera/Draperstown area
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 February 13 05:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching my great, great grandfather, John M. Convery (M. may be Manas or Matthew), born 1809 in Rocktown.  He married Sarah Lagan (born 1827) in 08 SEPT 1853; may be John's second marriage because of age difference; together they had the following children (church records indicate Lavey Parish) :

Mary - born 1854
John - born 1855
John - born 1858
Mary - born 1859
Patrick - born 1861
William James - born 1864
Robert Henry - born 1866
Charles (my grandfather) (church records have his last name spelled "Confrey") - born 1869

John M. Convery and Sarah Lagan Convery are buried together in the Old Cemetery at St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Lavey Parish.  John died on 07 JAN 1881 at age 72; Sarah died on 12 OCT 1873 at age 46.  Buried with John and Sarah is a daughter, could be from John's first marriage.  She died on 14 JAN 1889; the daughter may be Mary Convery.

Let me know if any of this information is match.  I would appreciate any additional information on this family.

Caren Convery

Moderator Note: see separate thread-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,633180

Offline derryjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 May 13 03:11 BST (UK) »
I believe my grandmother, Elizabeth Mulholland, came out to Philadelphia in Sep of 1899 with her cousin, Annie Donnelly.  My gran was from Glen Parish and went to Mass there at St. Pat's.  Annie's sister, Bridgid Donnelly was already in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.  I have nothing on the Donnelly family, but Annie was listed as a Maghera woman (as was my gran - she was from Tirkane.)