Author Topic: GAULT Ireland all dates  (Read 28364 times)

Offline DebGem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GAULT Ireland all dates
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 16 August 15 00:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you MFGilbert for your response. I have no further details from the marriage certificate, it just said the fathers name as Hugh, as posted in my first note. But the dates for the Rashee headstone are a possibility. Will work about that and see if I can get a connection. As well, the son Alexander a spirit dealer fits with John Sinclair Todd, as he too was a spirit dealer, perhaps that is how he met Hugh's daughter Jane....then again there were probably a lot of spirit dealers in Ireland?

Offline mojo1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 August 15 21:17 BST (UK) »
Steve,

Just a question, you say here that James Gault married Elizabeth Boyd. You also have my GGG grandfather William Gault (Galt) (1803 - 1871) marrying an Elizabeth Boyd. Is there any connection or just a coincidence??

Also, I thought Hugh Gault was born c.1783 and maybe is the father of William (1803), Alexander (1805) & Samuel (1809)......just a thought!

Regards

Terry

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 02 November 15 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I made some progress on my own Galts over the weekend.

My gggg grandmother Margaret Galt married John Ferguson.  She died in 1869 and in her will she mentions her sister Mary Price and brother James Galt. 

Mary Price (née Galt) died in 1874 and she also mentions their brother, but names him as “James Galt of Clareview, Ballyclare.”

James Galt married Mrs Martha Saunderson (née Mahood) in 1858:

[Northern Whig, 7 Jun 1858]
GAULT-SAUNDERSON: June 3, at the Presbyterian Church, Carrickfergus, by the Rev. Robert McCully, James Gault, Esq., Airview, Ballyclare, to Mrs. Saunderson, Ballyclare.

They had at least four daughters, the last of whom made it into the civil registrations.  Margaret Galt was born on the 30th Jan 1866 (parents Galt and Mahood) and died in 1867:

[BMN 8 May 1867]
April 27, at Clareview, Ballyclare, Maggie, fourth daughter of Mr. James Gault, aged 15 months.

This confirms that James Galt of Clareview is the same person as James Gault of Airview.  And going back to his marriage cert, James’ father was also called James.  So I now have:

James Galt m? and had issue:
1. Margaret Galt (1 Mar 1801 – 18 Dec 1869) m. John Ferguson
2. Mary Galt (c1812 – 10 Mar 1874) m. Hugh Price
3. James Galt (c1821 – 10 Mar 1905) m. Martha Saunderson/Mahood

Plenty of room for other siblings.

The will of James Galt who died in 1905 leaves provision for a headstone to be erected over his grave in Kilbride.  Unfortunately (going by the discovereverafter website) it looks like there is no headstone there now, if there ever was one.  However, the plot is right next to the other Galt/Gault graves beside the mausoleum, including Alexander Galt (c1805-1883) who married Ellen Murdoch.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 05 November 15 08:24 GMT (UK) »
To Mojo1970,

I had not previously looked for Gault Wills under GALT. When I did, I saw the Will of William GALT of Craignaboy who died 17 Mar 1871.

This is the William who names his wife as Elizabeth nee Boyd. William also names his daughter Elizabeth Jenkins and then a list of what looks to be her children. The first of these is Patrick William. I cannot see a comma between the name Patrick and Wiliam so it may be that Agnes Moores brother William was actually Patrick William. The other names are Elizabeth, Agnes, and David.

Later in the will William also names three daughters (sisters of Elizabeth Jenkins). Jane Calwell wife of Edward Calwell, Isabella Calwell, wife of Robert Calwell, and Sarah McMurtry wife of David McMurtry.

In addition William Galt names two brothers of Elizabeth Jenkins, James Galt of Craignaboy and Hugh Galt.

Cheers

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Gault/Galt near me also appears in old records as GATT.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 03 January 16 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Another Galt to add to the Doagh family.

John Galt of Doagh who died 23 Feb 1860 also names his sister Mary Rice and leaves a sum of money for her via his brother Alexander Galt, grocer of Doagh. The bulk of his estate however goes to Alexander's son William. Alexander is the executor of this will.

So this brings both Alexander Gault of Doagh b 1805 and John who died 1860 into the family of James Gault/Galt of Doagh, father of Margaret, James and Mary as already listed by MFGilbert.

It also is interesting that Alexander Gault of Doagh was a grocer and his wife's sister Mary Alexander nee Murdoch lived in Ballymather. Maybe some connection to Samuel Galt b c1809 grocer of Ballymather.

Cheers

Linda

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 03 January 16 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Copy of confirmation of arms to the descendants of William Galt by his wife, Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Griffin Curtis of Ballysally, Coleraine, Co. Derry and of Dominica, and to his grandson, Lt. William Howard Curtis, all of Ballysally, May 17, 1897.

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms. 110, pp. 219-20
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 03 January 16 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Wills, leases and other papers relating to properties in Coleraine, Maddybenny, Castleroe, etc. Co. Derry, and to the Boyd, Barr, Glenn, Young, Craig, Robb and other families, mostly from Coleraine, 1735 - 1923.

Belfast: Belfast Public Record Office   D. 660 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 03 January 16 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Letter of Rev. G. Hill to Mrs. Boyd of Ballycastle relating to a trip to Glenshesh, Co. Antrim, Aug. 18, 1859. Notes on the Boyd family of Ballycastle, Co. Antrim c. 1700-1850.

Belfast: Belfast Public Record Office, D.528 (1-2)