Author Topic: Margaret Cameron, Doune  (Read 12592 times)

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Margaret Cameron, Doune
« on: Thursday 26 March 09 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Some years ago I found an old diary in the attic of the cottage where I used to live. It was written over one  month during 1908 by Margaret Cameron of Brack (which I take to be the name of a house) near Doune by Dunblane in Perthshire. In it there are references to several neighbours, relatives and school friends. I would estimate Margaret was about 14 years old at the time. There is little detail but I know that even  a passing reference is of great interest to us family historians. If you have an ancestor in this area at this time I can check to see if they are mentioned. There are also references to farms and hamlets in the area: The Bow, Deanston, Clarkton, Glenhead and others. I was informed by a distant relative of Margaret's that she did not marry. From the diary it seems she may have had siblings named Jany or Jenny, John, Archie and Christian. Somebody out there may be descended from one of them. The references are mostly of the kind: "Aunt J.A. is cutting potatoes with James Dunn in the kitchen." and "Aunt Maggie tells us that the little Watston ones have got the measles." "Annabel has quarreled with Connie Winter" and so on. The 28 April records a reference to "C.B.'s funeral" when "all the liberals agreed to take a holiday" (C.B.??).  On the 7th May she refers to "Shaw the grave digger hanging himself down in the cemetery."
Chirp
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline renard

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Cameron, Doune
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 March 09 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I know the area fairly well,have not heard of the Brack.
I lived as Glenhead farm about thirty  years ago,
Don't know how much you know of the area, Deanston village,
known for its cotton mills and whisky distillery, Doune famous
for pistol manufacture,hence the village sign of two crossed pistols. the old pistol factory is now owned by my brother in-law
from where he runs his antique business.
Doune pistols were said to be of the very best quality this was in the era of flintlock pistols.
Sorry for rambling on as this has no real connection to your post
just thought it might be of some interest.

Renard

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 March 09 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chirp,

I would appreciate hearing of any mention of Kennedys although there weren't many of them left at Doune by 1908.

Regards,
Nel

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 March 09 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Renard and Nel for your replies.  It is interesting to hear a bit more about the area Renard. One of these days I intend to go there and have a look around but have not yet done so although I don't live a million miles away! I have seen a Dalbrack and Auld Dalbrack on the OS map which would place Margaret and her family in just the right spot for all her walks to visit neighbours and relatives. I wonder if the name has been changed to Dalbrack? I did not know about pistol making in Doune.

Sorry Nel but there are no references to Kennedy in Margaret's diary.
Chirp
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Glass making, S Shields

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 March 09 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking anyway. :)

Regards,
Nel

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 March 09 18:10 GMT (UK) »
It's been a few years since JB ran his antique business from the old Pistol Factory, Renard.
Although i know he still owns it.
Chirp i think the local information center in Doune would probably be
intrested in seeing the Diary, as it is also the base for the the Kilmadock Historical Society.
They may be able to help in the actual location of Brack.

Offline renard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 March 09 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monk,
              you are right, it is some years since J.B. worked out of the pistol factory, don't know what I was thinking about, I must be going senile.

Renard

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 March 09 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chirp

I wonder if there is any mention of REID in the diary. I don't think my Cameron's are related to Margaret as they were all born in Loudoun, Ayrshire and moved to Doune in the late 19th century. In 1901 the Camerons farmed Kames which I think is now called Inverardoch Mains (I haven't confirmed this yet). Two of the Cameron girls married two Reid brothers from Hillside of Row and a Cameron boy married Jessie Reid from Craigarnhall (a cousin of the Reid brothers) Jessie Reid's address on the marriage certificate in 1914 was Glenhead, Doune.  Jessie Reid was the daughter of Jessie Ferguson Graham. Jessie Ferguson Graham was living at Glenhead Cottage when she died in 1934.

Andy

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 March 09 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monks; I will contact them. I think the diary ought to be returned to a family member. Kil. Historical Soc. might be able to help with that.

Thanks Andy for the interesting information. No Reids shown but there are a couple of Fergusson references:

Thursday 23 April: .........."I went and asked Peter Fergusson if Calder's Donkey was for sale, and it is so he is to see Dada about next week.".......

Saturday 25 April: Margaret is writing about going to a party and of meeting up with others who were arriving by train she says "The company consisted of Evelyn Wright, May Henderson, Jessie & Margaret Fergusson .........."

At the end of the diary there is a list  of people to whom Margaret has sold eggs "from 2nd August 1909".  A Miss Ferguson appears on the list three times. There is also a reference to Miss F. No addresses shown just a note of how many dozens of eggs and the cost.

One other reference may interest you is  to the name Graham:
Monday 11th (May): Margaret refers to a shopping trip to Stirling - ..........."Went to Miss Thompson's and got my new summer hat, also went to Graham & Mortons & Aunt J.A. gave a graphic description of a mirror she wants to 3 different young men."

Regards
Chirp

Glass making, S Shields