Author Topic: Hawick -Richardson/Waldie -Cert.Question  (Read 14140 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hawick -Richardson/Waldie -Cert.Question
« on: Thursday 26 March 09 17:34 GMT (UK) »
While attempting to work on one more family line...
JAMES RICHARDSON (born Aug 1851)-son of Mary Murray & Walter Richardson and his wife MARGARET  "Maggie" WADIE (born c1852)dau of Elizabeth Kersel and Robert Waldie.
MARGARET"Maggie" and JAMES had 7 known children.
Elizabeth Kersel.Mary Murray,Margaret Waldie,Walter,Robert,Charlotte and John.
By a fluke I found the marriage for the 1st child,Elizabeth Kersel Richardson and she married an Alexander LITTLE (Son of Margaret Johnstone and William Little)
So I though I would pay the piper at SP and enter the next child's name and see who she married. It seems that you have to enter BOTH of the couples names.
QUESTION ???...Is this really so?..... and Is there a way around this situation.
Thanks for reading  and for any further ideas.
PS..I have this family documented on census 1861 to 1901.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Hawick -Richardson/Waldie -Cert.Question
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 March 09 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Not sure what is going on with  your searches on SP unfortunately. You are able to search marriages with just one partner's name (including the use of wildcards on the search).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 March 09 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I have a dumb question..what do I put in as the wild card?say in the males name....thanks monica
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 March 09 18:20 GMT (UK) »
It was just a side comment  :)  You can include wildcards if you want to pick up on spelling variants on SP which is quite strict and rigid on how names are indexed for searches. '*' replaces any number of letters and '?' replaces just one.

You can search by either the male name or female name only.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 March 09 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I sometimes find it easier to search for deaths - especially if they have a middle name.

1 1883 RICHARDSON MARY MURRAY     F 2 WILTON /ROXBURGH 810/00 0104
2 1931 RICHARDSON MARY MURRAY   BROWN F 48 DRYFESDALE /DUMFRIES 820/00 0026

The first, ? possibly yours.  Regards,   Steve .....

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 March 09 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica & Piglet...back to the drawing board.
I did go to SP and check out that 1931 death of Mary Murray Richardson -Brown..nope,not mine....but will file her..... as my Mary Murray Richardson had a younger brother Robert (born c 1887)...one never knows.

The other Mary Murray Richardson age 2 who died in Hawick is interesting.   Mine was born 1879 and shows on census  1881 age 1,and 1891 age 11 .
So I will keep plugging away..that is after I feed SP my plastic again..he he

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 March 09 19:30 GMT (UK) »
OK...I went and chased WALTER RICHARDSON's death and found it and it shows he was married to an ELIZABETH WATSON and they lived at 5 Wellington Street and the son James W Richardson signed the death info...so I am slowly getting there.
      It appears that James W Richardson (the son) lived at 24 Wellogate in Hawick.

So I might as well pay the piper for the marriage...he he .
The things we do for the love of family research.!....We pull out the plastic.!!

Offline Allybee1062

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 04:56 BST (UK) »
This is off the topic of this thread, but I am descended from James RICHARDSON of Hawick m around 1790 to Isabel or Jean or Jane SCOTT.  There are Walter's and James RICHARDSON's all through my tree.  I was wondering if there is a connection?

Alison
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER, TILLETT, SMITH, THEOBALD, ANDREWS, NAUNTON, UNDERWOOD - Suffolk
LISH, HARMAN, HARLAND, LELLIOTT, WOOLGAR, WOOLVEN, FAIRS - Sussex
McGEE/MAGEE, LISH, WITHERS, PITMAN - London
WITHERS - London, Gloucestershire
PITMAN - London, Kent
ATTRILL, BOURNE - Isle of Wight
CADWALLADER - Wales
KNIGHT - Northamptonshire
O'LEARY - Ireland
BEGGS, BANDEAN, BROWN, SCOTT, DEWAR, RICHARDSON, RAMSAY - Scotland

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 05:17 BST (UK) »
Looks like a yes....I have James Richardson,farmer born c 1765 and married Isabel/Isabella Scott Nov 22 1787 in Hawick.

Their son Andrew Richardson born c 1791 in Rox.Scot and died Feb 22 1869 in Hawick,married Margaret Pollock June 24 1814.

Margaret Pollock and Andrew Richardson had 9 known children...James,Andrew,JOHN (my direct line) David,Alexander,Isabella,Margaret and George 1,and then George 2....

How does that fit with what you might have?