Author Topic: Any info on Kottingham House and/or Cooperage, Burton on Trent  (Read 7258 times)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any info on Kottingham House and/or Cooperage, Burton on Trent
« on: Thursday 26 March 09 18:11 GMT (UK) »
I'd be very grateful if anyone could tell me anything at all about Kottingham House and Kottingham Cooperage in Burton on Trent. Google searches have turned up very little. All I know at present is that both have connections to Sir Alfred James Newton, Lord Mayor of London in 1899, and that both were in Dale Street, Burton, where my own ancestor, another Alfred James Newton, lived in 1881. Chances are, my Alfred, who was a watchman, may have even have been employed at Kottingham Cooperage. He was originally a corkcutter in London but moved to Burton in the late 1860s.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any info on Kottingham House and/or Cooperage, Burton on Trent
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 March 09 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Newton family of Kottingham House and Kottingham Cooperage are related to me.  They were originally from the Cottingham area of Hull.  I don't know much more about the Burton business but when I get home to where my FH material is I could tell you more about the family who set it up, if that would be of interest.

Anna :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 March 09 14:38 BST (UK) »
Anna, that would be wonderful! Apologies for taking so long to get back to you: we're in the throes of moving house, so things are rather chaotic at the moment. I did follow up your ancestor's progress as far as I was able, just because of the name link. Your Alfred was a fascinating (and busy) man!!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 March 09 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there - no problem; next time I'm in the vicinity of my FH stuff I will get back to you!

Anna :)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 March 09 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. :)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna
Just to let you know I'm finally back on-line again. :)

Offline wendylarms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 January 12 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna (and anyone else!),
 I am also researching the Newton family who were living at Kottingham House, Burton on Trent, in particular Frederick Newton Husbands whose mother was Elizabeth Husbands nee Newton.
Any contact greatly appreciated. I was under the impression that her brother Alfred was the Alfred James Newton who was Lord Mayor of London in 1899/1900?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 January 12 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi both (and edited to add: welcome wendylarms to Rootschat)

I appear not to have got back to this thread since 2009, for which apologies to Geordie daughter. :-[

It is right to say that Elizabeth Newton (birth reg Dec qtr 1841 Sculcoates) - who married John Frederick Husbands in 1872 and was the mother of Frederick Newton Husbands b 1873 - was one of the sisters of Alfred James Newton b Hull 18 Nov 1845 who was Lord Mayor of London 1899-1900.

My notes on Elizabeth Husbands nee Newton as follows:

Widowed by 1881 and occupying the household of brother Alfred in Burton-on-Trent, his son and her son there plus two servants.

Still in Burton in 1891, son with her plus Emmie Newton, 30, living on own means, b Hull (not sure if this is sister Emma having lost about 10 years).  One servant.

Still there with son Frederick in 1901.

My notes on her brother Alfred James as follows:

Family living in Chislehurst, Kent, in 1891, four servants and a lodger with them.  This couple seem to be away in 1881, their children with other family members.

He was Lord Mayor of London 1899-1900, per lots of Times reports.

He was created baronet in 1900. "Newton of the Wood and Kottingham House".  The baronetcy continues to this day.

Family in Brighton in 1901, daughter Muriel at home plus a whole raft of servants.

He was one of the witnesses to Muriel's marriage in 1902 - she was of Portland Place, St Marylebone.

Chairman of the directors of Harrods at the time of his death.

Times report of the coroner's inquest shows that his death was contributed to by strychnine poisoning (The Times, 22 Jul 1920).  A medical certificate was produced to show that it would be dangerous for Lady Newton to attend the inquest.  Son Harry said he did not think there were ever man and woman who so loved each other.

A bottle of medicine from which Sir Alfred has taken a single dose contained enough strychnine to kill about 60 people.  Examination of the chemist, dispenser and others did not yield an explanation of how the strychnine came to be in the medicine.  Sir Alfred was said in any case to have been "a very diseased man, and his life would have been a short one".

Alfred & Elizabeth's father George Beeforth Newton (abt 1810 - 1889) was one of the brothers of my ancestor Elizabeth Middleton nee Newton (1814-1863).

Offline wendylarms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 January 12 23:23 GMT (UK) »
avm228 
Thank you for such a prompt reply and confirmation of my own research. Frederick Newton Husbands' father, John Fredk Husbands, (registered at Ross, Herefordshire 1849) remains elusive having apparantly died between his son's birth in Dartmouth 1873 and the 1881 census when Elizth is a widow. Fredk Newton Husbands states on his Freeman of the City cert of 1896 that his father was 'The Rev Frederick Husbands dec late of Dartmouth Clerk in Holy Orders'. If anyone finds his death/burial  or indeed any other info. please let me know . Also as Kottingham House/works has now gone any pictures would be good.
Happy researching everyone!