Author Topic: COSWAY Family - Richard COSWAY 1742 - 1821  (Read 2966 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: COSWAY Family - Richard COSWAY 1742 - 1821
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Then this is her Death Reg;
NUTT  CAROLINE M 3244/1879 REDFERN
Parents GEORGE C and CAROLINE

If that 1841 Census is them then James/Caroline were not born in Devon according to it.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Do  you have access to Anc?

Name:   George Cosway
Child:   Caroline M Nutt
Newspaper:   The Sydney Morning Herald
Year Range:   1879
Publication Place:   Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Death Notice 1879 for Caroline M, Wife of James Nutt of Bath (Somerset), Daug of the late George Cosway, Esquire of Tiverton
Age 79

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jenny mason

• RootsChat Extra
  • blogger, writer, cartoonist, songwriter, philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:10 GMT (UK) »
interesting... lots of trees have her born in Tiverton Devon in 1806... I have also seen her as Caroline Passmore while in others her daughter is Mary Ann Passmore... date of death is 1879 - some trees say in Redfern and some say Rockdale - they are not far from each other but definitely different suburbs... thanks for your help, I guess living in Devon was enough for Aussie relatives to assume they were born there... My mum visited Buckfastleigh in Devon once because we had relatives/ancestors there (she is no longer with us)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Death notice says 1879 says age 79, passenger list has her as age 40.
Also mentions Daug Mrs William Dunshea. A Tree has Mary Passmore Nutt marrying William Dunshea 
18 February 1856, Pitt Street, Sydney

1841/1851 census has a George Cosway born c 1774 Tiverton and living there. Wife Joanna.
He is a Carpenter

Familysearch has a submitted Marriage for George to Joanna WOOLAWAY 28 Sep 1834 • Tiverton.
Given his age a second Marriage I would say.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:44 GMT (UK) »
My head is spinning from all of this but there are 2 Marriages on Familysearch.Org;
THOMAS Cosway
1763 Devon to Mary Ann PASMORE
1770 Devon to Phillipa PASMORE

Thomas is a potential Father for GEORGE c 1774

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Those two marriages were both at Plymouth. In each case the groom is described as a Tucker. The signatures are not identical but close enough to be the same person. On the other hand there were several marriages at Tiverton of Thomas Cosways in the same period.

to Joan Hurley 1752
to Joan Dunn 1767
to Mary Pope 1772
to Honour Redwood 1772

The only George Cosway baptised at Tiverton anywhere near 1774 is a son of Thomas and Joan in 1766. Presumably the Thomas and Joan who married in 1752. However there are two corresponding burials of Georges: in 1840 born about 1763 and  in 1855 born about 1772. It appears the 1772 George was born in Tiverton but baptised elsewhere.

If we assume the Cosway family moved between Plymouth and Tiverton then one possibility is the George Costway who was baptised at Plymouth St Andrew on 19 Nov 1773. His parents are recorded as William and Phillipa, but perhaps there was a mistake. There was a John son of Thomas and Phillipa Cosway baptised at the same church in 1770. Also Phillipa Cosway in 1766, daughter of Thomas and Mary Ann.

There was a George Cosway baptised at Tiverton in 1824 whose father George was a fuller. That's the same as a tucker, so the Tiverton and Plymouth families seem to have been in the same trade, increasing the chance that they are the same family.

David