Author Topic: Alexander FRASER & Christina (Christy) CAMERON family  (Read 7316 times)

Offline KGordonF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander FRASER & Christina (Christy) CAMERON family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
Jessie Muir Fraser appears on the gravestone of Rev. William Fraser and Robina Muir MacBrayne in the Drumtemple Cemetery.  You can google this and scan down to view the stone and narrative .  (Thanks go to Ghostwisperer).  Jessie's birth certificate shows her last name as Cameron, as illegitimate, born May 19, 1881 in Glasgow and mother as Catherine Cameron.  Catherine's death certificate in 1933 shows her as the widow of Simon Fraser, Accountant.

Catherine (mother), Jessie Muir and her older sister Catherine Muir Fraser show up on later census reports with Jessie and her sister as grand daughters of Duncan and Catherine (nee MacTavish) Cameron at Boleskine (Fancereict). 

The stone notes several children of William and Robina.  Missing are Janet Muir, and William.  It also notes a Simon who died in Glasgow in 1886.  I am assuming that this Simon is the father of Jessie and her sister, husband of Catherine and the grandson of William and Robina.  Who his parents were I do not know.  I could not find a death record for him in Glasgow in 1886.

For me, the person of interest in all this is Robina Muir MacBrayne.  I found a Rebecca with the same fathers name, with a date of birth one year off.  Would it make sense that she didn't like Rebecca and changed her name to Robina?  The hand written script is similar.  I looked at the original birth record and clearly the name is Rebecca.  Also Rev. William Fraser is noted as Chaplain to the 79th Highlanders during a period when I have a relative who served with this unit.

I am curious, however, as to who made the personal address to Jessie on the stone.

Also thanks to Annie for your interest and post.